Why become a member? ×

GOD.... I LOVE JAZZ

Bilbo

I am watching the youtube video of a live performance of Anna Maria Jopek with Pat Metheny. If you know Metheny's stuff, you gotta watch this. It is a wonderful reframing of Metheny's stuff. (Can't post a link in work so if someone else can do it....). Great band and I particularly the vocals/backing vocals thing - sublime.

[quote name='blamelouis' timestamp='1378814943' post='2204910']
Loving Tom Kennedys new album ...Stern and Weckl play their asses off.
He is quickly becoming my favourite bassist his technique is unbelievable when he uses it.
This is available on spotify this week.
[/quote]

And a nice bloke to boot....

Hi Fred,

Thanks so much for your kind thoughts regarding my new CD! I'm so happy that you're digging the music, and I want to tell you that this recording is by far my favorite to date...... I grew up as an upright player, and this is truthfully where I feel most at home.

Please know that your words have inspired, and I thank you for that!

Thanks,
Tom

Nice chap.

• 2 months later...

Have done a lot of travelling by train this week and have consequently done a lot of listening. I sooo love this music, it's untrue. I did a piano trio gig recently which was recorded and it had some of my best playing on it ( hidden amongst the train wrecks :)). Nice to know you are still improving at 50! Elitist my hairy a***, some Jazz is just beautiful.

A sample of that gig (better tunes are available and may appear later when I have the time to upload more)

[url="https://soundcloud.com/robert-palmer-1/caravan"]https://soundcloud.com/robert-palmer-1/caravan[/url]

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1386793633' post='2304738']
Have done a lot of travelling by train this week and have consequently done a lot of listening. I sooo love this music, it's untrue. I did a piano trio gig recently which was recorded and it had some of my best playing on it ( hidden amongst the train wrecks :)). Nice to know you are still improving at 50! Elitist my hairy a***, some Jazz is just beautiful.
[/quote]
I was listening to Radio 3 last night of a recording by the Kenny Wheeler Quintet (Stan Sulzmann, Reeds - John Taylor, Piano - Chris Laurence, Bass - Martin France, Drums ) from the London Jazz Festival. I must say that it almost brought a tear to my eye when they said that Kenny was helped on stage and is very frail these days (he's 83) but boy when he played that Flugelhorn it was magic. I've seen him numerous times and love his playing. A fantastic sound from a great band. What a line up!

• 2 weeks later...

Couple of things ;) Firstly, I just downloaded the Complete Blue Note recordings of Michel Petrucianni on Amazon for £5.99 - 55 tracks over 7 cds. Astonishing value and some great, great music.... (featured bass players include Gary Peacock, Eddie Gomez, Anthony Jackson)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Complete-Blue-Note-Recordings/dp/B001KQMW7M/ref=sr_1_1?s=dmusic&ie=UTF8&sr=1-1&keywords=michel+petrucciani

..... especially the 1986 live 'Power of Three' trio recording he did with the recently deceased guitarist Jim Hall and the fantastic Wayne Shorter. No bass but a wonderful recording of three master musicians in one of their finest moments (was it really that long ago??)

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1387882823' post='2316741']
Couple of things ;) Firstly, I just downloaded the Complete Blue Note recordings of Michel Petrucianni on Amazon for £5.99 - 55 tracks over 7 cds. Astonishing value and some great, great music.... (featured bass players include Gary Peacock, Eddie Gomez, Anthony Jackson)
[/quote]
Michel Petrucciani was a wonderful pianist. I was fortune enough to see him very early in his career in the 80s with with Lee Konitz and also a few times in the 90s.

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1388171822' post='2319166']
Judging by the headstock logo at 1:05 its a Tobias. But there's not enough light to tell what model it is.
[/quote][quote name='foal30' timestamp='1388203042' post='2319475']
Tobias for sure.
[/quote]
Yes, i read somewhere that Pedro played a Tobias Growler.

He also played a Fanta Beaudoux Pedro Aznar Signature bass. http://instrumentosdella.wordpress.com/2013/07/23/beaudoux-modelo-pedro-aznar-fretless/

Edited by BetaFunk

[quote name='foal30' timestamp='1388273310' post='2320394']
I don't think in the video provided he is playing a Growler, that is a single pick up model.
Possibly a Classic (?)
[/quote]
Yes, i've just had a look on the net and it seems to be either a Classic 5 or a Basic 5.

I'll leave it to the Tobias experts to work out which one it actually is. :)

Nice bass though whatever model it is.

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1388139342' post='2318764']
This is for Bilbo and all Pat Metheny fans.

Pedro Aznar. The best bass playing percussionist ever!!!

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-x-031gqsVI[/media]
[/quote]

great, beautiful musicianship!

Just downloaded a Charles Lloyd cd called Canto. The bass player is new to me, a guy called Anders Jormin. Beautiful sound and some lovely ideas. Google reveals he is widely recorded by ECM and has led 9 recordings in his own right. I will be looking them up.

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1388657136' post='2324362']
Just downloaded a Charles Lloyd cd called Canto. The bass player is new to me, a guy called Anders Jormin. Beautiful sound and some lovely ideas. Google reveals he is widely recorded by ECM and has led 9 recordings in his own right. I will be looking them up.
[/quote]

Anders Jormin's sound is massive. I have a few ECMs with him featuring heavily.
The Lloyd recordings for the label are beautiful. The Water is Wide has some special playing by Brad Mehldau (who i love anyway).
I recently picked up the latest Wasilewski trio recording as well as Tomasz Stanko's newest with his American band. Think i prefer his playing with the aforementioned Polish trio tho.