Why become a member? ×

RIM Custom 5 string for Alex Claber (36 inch scale) Finished with soundclips!

RIM Basses

This has been a great build thread and a fabulous bass. Also that is one neat and good looking work shop you have there. Where did you get the bits for the custom router table it looks an interesting set up and some thing that i need to address myself.

great build, very impressive.

Pete

Hi Pete,

Thanks for the interest basses, I got the Linear bearing track and slide rail units from my old work place. Units like this wouldn't be cheap, Ive still got to mount the routers on the Ali plates. Hoping it will work well for me, gonna be in the workshop today working on the basses.

Cheers,

Robbie.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All,

Ok guys so here's the latest bits done on Alex's bass, the nut is cut and the frets have had the slightest of dresses. I going to finish all the final sanding and then Foil the control cavity. Im hopefully going to be using a high quality teflon wire between the pots to give the bass the best signal, Ive been looking into turntable wire which has the best audio reproduction. Hope you guys like the update!

Sperzels!

Cheers,

Robbie.

Edited by RIM Basses

[quote name='RIM Basses' post='102910' date='Dec 11 2007, 09:09 PM']Hi All,

Ok guys so here's the latest bits done on Alex's bass, the nut is cut and the frets have had the slightest of dresses. I going to finish all the final sanding and then Foil the control cavity. Im hopefully going to be using a high quality teflon wire between the pots to give the bass the best signal, Ive been looking into turntable wire which has the best audio reproduction. Hope you guys like the update!

Cheers,

Robbie.[/quote]
Lovely. I want one!!

Stunning.

A Rim job (hehehe) has been top of my custom GAS list ever since I popped into Robbies workshop and he did a set up on my Aerodyne.

This one is my favourite so far. Mine will have a swamp ash body and a maple fretboard. However, if I get a Rim bass BEFORE a new bathroom I will be getting a divorce shortly after so I'm afraid it isn't going to be anytime soon.

Robbie, how do you feel about Buzz feiten and a zero fret?

p.

Hi Paul,

How are things bud, glad to see you have got to do your bathroom suite also. Im starting mine in the new year and so is Alex, you gotta love the DIY. To answer your question about the Buzz Feiten system and zero nuts, ive not looked into them really, I love the wooden nuts, may look at them in the future, I just dont think you need that much fine adjustment for bass, maybe on multi string ERB's.

Cheers,

Robbie.

Just to clarify, my last post meant, "Aha! There it is and doesn't it look like one bad mother!" :)

2008 will be a very fat year. (And one of arguments with tiles and expletives at plumbing...)

Regarding zero frets I used to think they were a good idea because you'd expect them to make open notes sound like fretted notes - but they don't! Why is that? Because when you play a fretted note the presence of your finger upon the string behind the fret adds damping to the system and thus reduces the highs, particularly as the note sustains. To get the same sound with a zero fret you need to damp the open strings behind the zero fret, either with your fingers or with some kind of damping material in the 'nut' (more of a string guide than a nut). I suspect that the Bee Bass nut/zero fret design achieves this quite well with softer fingerboard woods. On the other hand, if you use a nut made of something softer than than the frets this material can provide the damping that your fingers do on fretted notes, hence the ebony nut on the RIM Basses makes a lot of sense.

Alex

I had a MTD Kingston that had the Buzz Feiten tuning system and a zero fret and quite frankly it played better than anything i have played before or since. (Couldn't get on with the sound though...should have swapped out the electronics but it's too late now!)

For me it's more of a playability issue rather than sound. But saying that, I am sure Rims play like butter anyway, so maybe it's not needed. The Buzz Feiten system is incredible though. I could play chords right up the the evil end of the neck on the MTD with fantastic intonation. IMHO it really does work, and works well.

So now when I dip into the realms of custom basses...there will have to be a zero fret in there somehwere. Preferrably just before the first one!

p.

Set-up is definitely part science and part art. Years ago I read an article by Anthony Jackson that really helped me suss out what worked best for me and how to achieve it - recommended reading for all:

[url="http://members.aol.com/jlsmith42/aj/setup/aj-setup.htm"]http://members.aol.com/jlsmith42/aj/setup/aj-setup.htm[/url]

Alex

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

Ok So Ive now finished work for Christmas and i'll be working on Alex's bass for a few days during the break, Ive been sanding the bass over the last couple of night and she's looking good. Should have the cavity coppered out over the weekend and a couple of little jobs before I can get a couple of coats of wax on her. Ive ordered some Teflon silver coated wire for the pots and when that turns up from the states I'll be able to get the wiring all sorted. So things are all good!

have a good one Guys!

Robbie.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

Well I got the wiring nearly finished last night,the silver solder worked real nice with the mil spec silver coated teflon wire. Should have her all setup this weekend and ready for Alex next week. Gonna try and get some soundclips done next week and maybe even a video clip.

Cheers,

Robbie.

Edited by RIM Basses