Why become a member? ×

RIM Custom 5 string for Alex Claber (36 inch scale) Finished with soundclips!

RIM Basses

Hi All,

Well ive got my post back up on the Diaries section, ive made a nice donation towards the site which will help Ped and Chris. I love posting my work on this site, and its great to get feedback from others.

So the Specs for Alex's 5 string are as follows,

Custom body design
5 piece Wenge/Ash thru neck
Wenge fretboard 36" scale
Alder Body wings
Ash top
Dyed black tuillipwood pinstrip accent veneer
Ebony headstock cap
CF rods in neck

Stainless steel frets (low profile)
ETS MKIII Black bridge and saddle
Sperzel tuners
JD Straplocks
Aluminium 3mm side makers

Q-Tuner 5 string pickup set
4 way rotary switch (neck/series/parallel/bridge) volume,passive tone.
500k pots

Oil finnish

This will be another interesting bass to build, Alex knows what he wants down to the fine details which is great for me.

Q tuners!

Ive heard back from my fretboard supplier and the wenge 36 inch scale board will be with me next week hopefully, due to the long wait on the fretboard I started to build my own fretsaw Jig. I will post pics next week, Im starting to build Jigs at work which will help me produce alitlle faster.

Cheers,

Robbie.

Edited by RIM Basses

Hi Robbie, looking great! I really like your headstock design.

Quick question on the rotary switch: is there one for each pick up and the neck/bridge refers to the coils in each or are they entirely single coils? I assumed from the look that they were humbuckers.

Also what does the linear table jig do? Is it for getting the truss rod channel straight?

It's all too exciting!!! Headstock is looking good.

Regarding switching, on my current bass I just use a 3-way neck/both/bridge switch. However based on listening to various Dingwall clips and knowing how running pickups in series gives a gain boost, reduced highs and thicker mids, having a series option is a nice fourth basic tonal colour. I also have a strong suspicion that it'll be most useful when I'm having reggae moments, due to the gain allowing a lighter touch and the tonal shift suiting the vibe.

Alex

Hi All,

Well still waiting for the fretboard so ive started to build another Jig for my headstock. Im using drill bushes, so it should come out with nice clean holes.

On another note, Im building a set for my work friend who runs the UK Garrison. [url="http://www.501stukgarrison.com/"]http://www.501stukgarrison.com/[/url] Some people might know about the upcoming Star Wars event at Excel in London (30 years Anv), Looks like Ive got access all areas passes for the weekend and I might also be going to Pinewood studio to build the set before the event. Im also hoping to meet Jeremy Bullock and a few other stars.

May the force be with you!

Cheers,

Robbie.

Hi All,

Well today we had a delivery of my new stock of wood engraved "R" Logos, still waiting on the wenge fretboard. Looks like Alex will get the chance to pick his own logo to match the Ebony faced headstock. My bets on the cocobolo with the sap.

Cheers,

Robbie.

[quote name='ped' post='17063' date='Jun 13 2007, 05:18 PM']What made you choose 36"? I have a 36er myself and find it no different to play, but I am sure it contributes to the huge piano like sound.[/quote]

Tension! Every 5-string I've ever played has felt far too floppy on the low-be and too many sound like the low-be is from a different instrument. I spent some time messing around with numbers and sussed out that adding 2" of scale equates to tuning up a semitone which makes a really positive difference to the tension. Also a 2" longer scale length makes the fret to fret stretch the same as if you played everything a semitone lower, which is pretty negligible - as you no doubt have found.

Up 'til now I've used 45-105 strings but getting a low-be to match that kind of tension requires a very heavy gauge. Instead I'm going to drop to 40-55-75-100 with a 130 low-be which gives pretty even tension.

And then there's all the tonal benefits for me. The downside of the extra scale length can be reduced sustain on the G (and C if you have it) string but that's not an issue for me as when I'm going high I'm playing chords or arpeggios, not lead parts.

Give a bit more space round the pickups for slapping too!

Alex

True indeed. When others have played my 36er they have not noticed the difference in playability at all which is interesting - I have played 35" basses where I had to conciously stretch a little.

Interesting what you say about the decrease in sustain on the G - I have noticed that this bass of mine has the most sweet tight popping sound and I guess this could be attributed to the scale also.

Having played Robbies Maccasar 5 fretted and 6 fretless I am sure this will be a wonderful piece of kit...

Cheers
ped

Hi All,

Well the 36 inch fretboards are on there way from the US finally, Ive ordered 4 boards. The Wenge,Cocobolo,figured Bubinga and a Macassar Ebony. Also the 5 way rotary swiches came in today.

Should be getting on with Alex's and the other two basses over the next few weeks.

Cheers,

Robbie.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

Well Im still waiting for the wenge fretboard for Alex's bass, so I got started on blocking up the other two 5 string basses Im going to be building this year. One's going to Accugroove to pay for my El Whappo Jr, and they should be taking it to Namm in January and maybe even taking it to the guys at Bass Player magazine as they are only down the road from the Accugroove workshop. The others for a local bassist.

Mahogany/purple/wenge and Amazaque/wenge.

Cheers,

Robbie.

Edited by RIM Basses