Why become a member? ×

Best Bass Players of New Romantic Era

Bass_In_Yer_Face

[quote name='ironside1966' post='195651' date='May 9 2008, 07:41 PM']a link for Joe Hubbard at Talkbass

[url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=346266"]http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=346266[/url][/quote]
Thanks! Inneresting to see that he has some nice things to say about another musical hero of mine, Bill Nelson, whom I definitely recommend looking in to if you like the Weird Stuff. This is not very bass-intensive, but it's still 80s Weird: [i]Do You Dream In Colour?[/i]

• 4 months later...

[quote name='ARGH' post='119351' date='Jan 12 2008, 11:53 PM']Ok

To settle the Duranie debate once and for all

1st Lp.....Simons on it (and hes chorused out to hell and back,coz hes out of tune)...Johns on it,and Nicks on there in parts.
2nd lp Everyones on there,but theres session drums,some geezer took a £50 hushbung to play a few tracks,same with a few guitar tracks,and Nicks not doing EVERYTHING keys wise.
3rd lp,They are all on it (and the coke too).

Out of all of them Johns ALWAYS had the most musical talent,followed by Nick. The rest are debatable.[/quote]

Hang on, just exactly what are you basing your statements on? I was working in music journalism in the 80s and was at a venue to see a solo Andy Taylor performance. Luckily for me, I was allowed to attend the soundcheck, where I saw Taylor playing a selection of songs from the setlist to be performed that night as well as a few run-through cover versions. To say that I was staggered by just how good a guitar player Taylor was would be a massive understatement - his rhythm work was precise, and played with real bite; his choice of chord voicings was varied and colourful; and his lead playing was a true revelation, technically and compositionally. And lets not forget, this is a musician who has secured some high-profile session slots with Belinda Carlisle, Robert Palmer, Rod Stewart, Thunder. To suggest that this man lacks musical ability is just wrong.

As for Duran Duran, I can take them or leave them. My younger sister was a big fan though.

[quote name='Johngh' post='117075' date='Jan 9 2008, 04:47 PM']FASHION were excellent, especially with Dee Harriss on vocals, Fabrique is their best album by far. Can't remember the bass players name though.[/quote]

My extremely vague memories (I wonder why :wacko: ) of the Birmingham music scene in that period tell me it was John Mulligan on bass at first who later moved to keyboards. And the original vocalist was not Dee Harris but a very tall guy who called himself Luke Skyscraper.

And +1 on John Taylor being good.

[quote name='Hot Tub' post='292221' date='Sep 25 2008, 08:44 PM']Bowie wasn't New Romantic. Bowie was "Bowie" - separate and distinct from all genres. IMHO.[/quote]

But how many people assume that his Commedia dell'Arte Pierrot and the release of Fashion and Ashes To Ashes preceded New Romanticism, only to be debussed of the notion on a simple review of release dates?

Bowie, the archetypal chameleon, and an artful imitator.

[quote name='noelk27' post='292249' date='Sep 25 2008, 09:29 PM']But how many people assume that his Commedia dell'Arte Pierrot and the release of Fashion and Ashes To Ashes preceded New Romanticism, only to be debussed of the notion on a simple review of release dates?

Bowie, the archetypal chameleon, and an artful imitator.[/quote]

I think Numan, proto-type Human League, Japan and even Roxy could all have been seen as 'inventing' New Romantic music....or even 'Underpass' by Jon Foxx.

I heard that Bowie spat the dummy on the Kenny Everitt show once when he thought Numan had stolen his thunder when he turned up in his kind of 'boiler suite' late seventies image.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='Hit&Run' post='117237' date='Jan 9 2008, 06:56 PM']Dion Esteus (possibly not correct spelling) with Wham, even though they weren't new romantic they were the same era.

The guy out of ABC? Were ABC new romantic?

The guy out of Talk Talk played some alright stuff as well.[/quote]

Have a listen to ABC the deluxe version of the lexicon of love which has a lot of live stuff thrown in.

[quote name='Thunderthumbs' post='117135' date='Jan 9 2008, 04:45 PM']Another one I've just remembered......Dennis Smith that played with Nik Kershaw. Appeared at Live Aid with him.[/quote]

Sure Dennis Smith - ex The Advertising and Secret Affair - would laugh at the notion he was a New Romatic. I think the word is Mod. Or as Ian Page would say, Glory Boy. Although Power Pop was another label. Did love the crackle of Smith's Rickenbacker though.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Bass_In_Yer_Face' post='117140' date='Jan 9 2008, 05:47 PM']I've seen Mr Numan more time than I care to mention...not with Nick Beggs mind.

I noticed Kajagoogoo (- Limahl) were touring the 80's revival circuit again (videos on youtube) and Mr Beggs has been the bassist with John Paul Jone's band (why does he need a bass player?)

Joe Hubbard played on the woeful 'I Assasain' album by Numan but there is something excellent playing on Sister Surprise[/quote]

Actually Pino played bass on I, Assassin (82) Joe Hubbard played on Warriors (83)... Sister Surprise was on Warriors

Edited by TransistorBassMan

• 2 years later...

[quote name='Bass_In_Yer_Face' post='117812' date='Jan 10 2008, 01:31 PM']I thought it was Bernard Edwards?

I know Guy Pratt did play on some of the live Power Station performances.....hmmmm[/quote]

Bernard played bass on the 2nd album after JT had some perosnal issues and had to leave Power Station (rehab), but JT played on all of the 1st album.

[quote name='noelk27' post='292091' date='Sep 25 2008, 05:42 PM']Hang on, just exactly what are you basing your statements on? I was working in music journalism in the 80s and was at a venue to see a solo Andy Taylor performance. Luckily for me, I was allowed to attend the soundcheck, where I saw Taylor playing a selection of songs from the setlist to be performed that night as well as a few run-through cover versions. To say that I was staggered by just how good a guitar player Taylor was would be a massive understatement - his rhythm work was precise, and played with real bite; his choice of chord voicings was varied and colourful; and his lead playing was a true revelation, technically and compositionally. And lets not forget, this is a musician who has secured some high-profile session slots with Belinda Carlisle, Robert Palmer, Rod Stewart, Thunder. To suggest that this man lacks musical ability is just wrong.

As for Duran Duran, I can take them or leave them. My younger sister was a big fan though.[/quote]

Agreed, I've seen Andy play numerous times, and the boy has talent.

I'd be interested to see where this who played on what album info came from. Nick has admitted before in interviews about having help on the odd part on some early material, but their live shows have always been faultless, hard to see why they'd need some session players dropping in for them in the studio.

• 2 months later...

Nick Beggs is now in Steve Hackett's touring band, and doing a pretty good job of it.

The chap out of Bow Wow Wow was pretty good. Check out "Quiver (Arrows In My)" (it used to be on youtube, can't find it any more)

(edit: It's Leigh Gorman - he ended up in Adam and the Ants)

Edited by toneknob

• 4 years later...

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1222374226' post='292200']

My extremely vague memories (I wonder why :wacko: ) of the Birmingham music scene in that period tell me it was John Mulligan on bass at first who later moved to keyboards. And the original vocalist was not Dee Harris but a very tall guy who called himself Luke Skyscraper.

And +1 on John Taylor being good.
[/quote]

Mulligan was replaced on bass in Fashion by a chap called Marlon. I seem to remember him playing a fretless Wal in TV appearances. It was the Mulligan / Marlon / Dik Davies / Dee Harris lineup that record the 'Fabrique' album.

[quote name='PaulGibsonBass' timestamp='1452637582' post='2952002']
I'd mention Les Nemes from Haircut 100, some nice tight funky playing on their track Favourite Shirts. Like JT, an SB1000 user too, I think?
[/quote]

Agreed. Funky and tight. So many great basslines and amazing players in the 80s. A golden age for pop. I'd throw in the bassist from Curiosity Killed The Cat. Some great lines. Not quite New Romantic admittedly.
http://youtu.be/-3w3O3bDhZc

Edited by kusee pee

[quote name='Bass_In_Yer_Face' timestamp='1199893322' post='117070']
Been listening to a lot of Early Duranie stuff and John Taylor's stuff is just excellent. How can a guy be that good looking, play that well and own a Aria Pro II SB1000 :angry:.
[/quote]

He got all the ideas from me....... :gas: