Why become a member? ×

Who says you can't play funk on a Fender P...

JJTee

[quote name='Doctor J' post='1026745' date='Nov 17 2010, 11:35 AM']13 posts on funk P-Bass and no-one has mentioned Paul Jackson? :)[/quote]

Completely agree. P-bass funk legend.

But that live George Duke track is funky as - it's pretty much compulsively making me do the dirty funk head bounce on my headphones. Just hope no-one sees!

[quote name='The Bass Doc' post='1027060' date='Nov 17 2010, 04:51 PM']Always thought funk was a 'feel' thing as opposed to any particular technique or sound employed.

Anyone agree that Andy Fraser could be considered a funk player (on an EB3 ffs!)?[/quote]
I'd agree Andy Fraser was funky but I'd probably use 'funk' to refer to a particular genre and 'funky' to refer to a particular feel - so, on that account, you can be funky without playing funk.

In the 70s the P and J basses were pretty much standard for most players. Louis Johnson used one before turning to Musicman for his signature sound.

Byron Miller is a killer player. George Duke has used some amazing players. I think his album 'Standing In The Light' (forgive me if I've got the title wrong) showcased Louis Johnson, and more recently he used Christian McBride.

[quote name='The Bass Doc' post='1027060' date='Nov 17 2010, 04:51 PM']Always thought funk was a 'feel' thing as opposed to any particular technique or sound employed.

Anyone agree that Andy Fraser could be considered a funk player (on an EB3 ffs!)?[/quote]

Andy Fraser is amazingly funky. The bass line on Alright Now is indeed a funky part.

and another clip of [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyHpa-LaZYc"]Pops[/url]

I was, and still am a Crusaders fan and still get to play 2 or 3 Crusaders tunes about twice a month with Jon Taylor's Blues Dudes.

My 62 P bass is the preferred instrument for this band, I've taken the soul band flats off and gone back to round wounds.

And don't forget [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6JiTwj-znw&feature=related"]Alan Gorrie[/url] and A.W.B. who were a huge influence on me back in the day.

I saw A.W.B at Leeds Uni in the seventies but didn't get to meet any of them until two years ago when I had the pleasure of Hamish Stuart staying with us whilst up in Yorkshire for a gig I was promoting.
Nice chap!