Why become a member? ×

bass clef YTS

lojo

[quote name='lojo' post='1027076' date='Nov 17 2010, 05:00 PM']What we need is a random note on the stave generator that will set a bar or 2 of notes to play along to at a time, and at a tempo set by the user (slow for the YTS guys :) )[/quote]

There's a really good random note generator here:

[url="http://garywillis.com/pages/lessons/read.html"]http://garywillis.com/pages/lessons/read.html[/url]

You can adjust the range of pitches as well as the percentage of accidentals, and you can set the tempo to what ever you like as long as you have a metronome to hand...

[quote name='Doddy' post='1027082' date='Nov 17 2010, 05:05 PM']I have dreadful computer skills and kept
hitting the wrong letters. :)[/quote]

I've just figured out to use the keyboard, I was using the mouse, which is slower!

Anyway, rankings are not really what its about, I just want to get sharp with reading the notes and not thinking what they are but knowing it as soon as it appears like reading words

I know the frets pretty well, so at least thats something to assist me in these early steps

I think my brain is going to be stretched more now than it has been for years, its great to be trying to learn something again

[quote name='lojo' post='1027110' date='Nov 17 2010, 05:37 PM']I've just figured out to use the keyboard, I was using the mouse, which is slower!

Anyway, rankings are not really what its about, I just want to get sharp with reading the notes and not thinking what they are but knowing it as soon as it appears like reading words

I know the frets pretty well, so at least thats something to assist me in these early steps

I think my brain is going to be stretched more now than it has been for years, its great to be trying to learn something again[/quote]

Thats exactly where I am lojo except I cant type either (another skill for another day!) so im stuck with the mouse. I suppose if the game could be linked to your bass via midi or something that would be the best of everything but Im crap at tech stuff so I will stick to this method and like you said If I could just recognise they notes quickly as the come up instinctively that will be all thats required for now.

Edited by stingrayPete1977

My first week learning the dots and I was looking forward to getting the email with the songs for my sunday worship band so I could sit down and work out the dots as homework rather than the chords

8 songs just came through, all chord charts, which is not usual & you tube links, not a score in sight

My life must be pretty good if thats what I've chosen to moan about today :)

[quote name='jakesbass' post='1026978' date='Nov 17 2010, 03:42 PM']Bring it on suckah...!

[attachment=64188:Picture_1.png]

:) :) :lol:

Mr Posh pah :D[/quote]

I have dishonered my family.

I bow to you and your beret.

:P

I will get my revenge!!!

On another note, you must type damn quick!

Im busy again tonight and have a gig at Barton marina tomorrow night so the proper learning begins this weekend, That said I just had my first go on the quiz and got them all right first go in a 1.8 so Im getting better as it took me a few goes to get back to that speed before then a few more to beat my previous record which still stands at 1.5.

Also my book that was linked in the other thread has arrived and looks just the job, Not too hard building to what looks like actual music on the last pages!

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1030314' date='Nov 20 2010, 12:13 PM']Bass Wizard 1.38 :) I have just reserved a music stand at Argos too so Im off to collect it later and have a look at this new book.[/quote]
Christ, that's good!

Can someone explain tied notes to me please? The only point I can see for them is to make it possible for a note length with a dot to go down to a further fraction. Is that right?

[quote name='silddx' post='1030334' date='Nov 20 2010, 12:34 PM']Christ, that's good!

Can someone explain tied notes to me please? The only point I can see for them is to make it possible for a note length with a dot to go down to a further fraction. Is that right?[/quote]

I hadn't got a clue, but this explains it- [url="http://www.studybass.com/lessons/reading-music/tied-notes/"]Tied Notes[/url]

Cheers,

Rob

[quote name='DarkHorse' post='1030339' date='Nov 20 2010, 12:39 PM']I hadn't got a clue, but this explains it- [url="http://www.studybass.com/lessons/reading-music/tied-notes/"]Tied Notes[/url][/quote]
That's a good explanation of the "why" of ties. It always helps to understand that notes shorter than a crotchet are usually grouped (using the bar at the end of the stems) into beats, or sometimes into groups of two beats (seems to be more common in the US than here). Ties allow you to keep the beat grouping so it's easy to read, while having notes that play "across" the beats.

[quote name='silddx' post='1030334' date='Nov 20 2010, 12:34 PM']Christ, that's good!

Can someone explain tied notes to me please? The only point I can see for them is to make it possible for a note length with a dot to go down to a further fraction. Is that right?[/quote]

Is the dot at the side? that dot will take the note to 1.5 its note value and if it's tied to the next note as well then you keep the note going for that value too so ie a crotchet with a dot beside which is tied to another crotchet = a crotchet beat plus a quaver beat + a crotchet beat. hope that makes sense! :)

Edit - because I got it wrong!

Edited by SaxxyBass

Not really. A tied not is when you hold for the duration of the two notes that are tied,which can be anything-even two semibreves.
If you were playing a bar of quavers,I think it's easier to read if two of them tied together than sticking a crotchet in the middle,especially if it's off the beat. Also you can tie the notes over the bar line,which you can't do with a dot.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1030358' date='Nov 20 2010, 12:58 PM']I like the bit " the symbol for a tie is identicle to a slur and confuses some students" Well it will then! All in good time.......[/quote]

Yes it is confusing - a slur would mean you use legato or as smoothly as possible for several notes which change pitch but a tie is usually used on one note of the same pitch to lengthen it - hth

Edit Doddy beat me to it!

Also get yourself a copy of the Associated Board Guide to Music Theory Part 1

Edited by SaxxyBass

[quote name='SaxxyBass' post='1030361' date='Nov 20 2010, 01:01 PM']Is the dot at the side? that dot will take the note to twice its note value and if it's tied to the next note as well then you keep the note going for that value too so ie a crotchet with a dot beside which is tied to another crotchet = a crotchet beat plus a quaver beat + a crotchet beat. hope that makes sense! :)[/quote]

The dot doesn't make it twice it's note value-it's half it's note value again. So a dotted crotchet is a crotchet and a quaver length.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1030358' date='Nov 20 2010, 12:58 PM']I like the bit " the symbol for a tie is identicle to a slur and confuses some students" Well it will then![/quote]
:) Yeah, it's confusing at first, but there's method in the madness. All the symbol means is that you don't rearticulate the second note (in bass terms, don't pluck the second note). If it's the same pitch as the first note, it's a tie; just a longer note. If it's a different pitch, it's a slur; either a hammer-on or a pull-off... or a massive slide.