Why become a member? ×

bass clef YTS

lojo

Thought Id start a new thread for those of us inspired by the other thread to learn to read bass notes, forgive if this is not required, but it is a change of topic

So far, it seems to be Silddx, StingrayPete and myself on the YTS (hope Im not the only one old enough to know what this means)

This is a link I just posted on the other thread

Its a great online name the note game quiz, lets you click on the answer as a dot appears, Im hooked

[url="http://www.studybass.com/tools/bass-clef-notes/"]http://www.studybass.com/tools/bass-clef-notes/[/url]

Edited by lojo

Get me bass apprentice 2.01 seconds! that really does help. I will spend some time with it when the missus is not nagging me but already made an improvement. Thanks Doddy im sure we will need it when we get past the primary school stage!

At practice last night I actually used my new found skill to jot down a riff we had all forgotten from the previous practice so its already saving me time and braincells for all the doubters. Still waiting for my book to arrive though from Amazon.

Edited by stingrayPete1977

[quote name='jakesbass' post='1026908' date='Nov 17 2010, 02:30 PM']Good fun game but remember folks that placing the note on the fretboard is way more important than knowing it's name or where it is on a computer keyboard...[/quote]

Shhhh... I can work that bit out

Just not as quick :)

I think I just came.

[attachment=64180:bassclefjpg.jpg]

It's a shame I can't remember any of the notes on the neck besides the names of the strings, really. Shame there isnt a decent app that makes you click on the right string/fret when you see the note on the stave.

Edited by Wil

[quote name='jakesbass' post='1026929' date='Nov 17 2010, 02:54 PM']Lol
Hmmm, here's how good my computer keyboard skills are:
[attachment=64179:Picture_2.png]

Still need to work on sight reading tho :)[/quote]

Look at mr posh with his big posh mac :)

(I'm just jealous to be honest)

[quote name='jakesbass' post='1026929' date='Nov 17 2010, 02:54 PM']Lol
Hmmm, here's how good my computer keyboard skills are:
[attachment=64179:Picture_2.png]

Still need to work on sight reading tho :)[/quote]

Sir! I challenge you to a duel

[attachment=64182:newrecord.png]

:)

Its great for when your working at the PC with no bass in hand, just play once every now and then

Im finding it is really helping, shame you have to click it, id love to play the random notes instead

What we need is a random note on the stave generator that will set a bar or 2 of notes to play along to at a time, and at a tempo set by the user (slow for the YTS guys :) )

I still find I am using fixed points such as D in the middle and the Fs high and low, then very quickly working out in my head from that

I hope that a few weeks of this and I will think C rather than know its next to D, hope this makes sense

Why did I not do this years ago?

Edited by lojo

Rather than trying to get a quick time (despite me and Charic having a bit of fun) I would say it would be a good idea to work out the note and then visualise where on the bass you would play it. Once you get good at that then try to play them in different places and imagine keeping your hands in as limited a space as possible.

Edited by jakesbass

Im out at another practice for another venture tonight (see "do you need to read to be in a band" thread for the real answer I have 3 bands and looking like the worst reader in the group so far!) but I hope to spend some more time over the weekend on the "game?".

As for learning the positions on the fet board Im in an odd situation maybe as I have played for years and can transfer quite quickly to the desired note once I know what I have read so Im not so worried about that at the moment personally but I know what you are saying if you are a learner of both the mental and physical side of playing bass.

Im crap with the computer too so that will reflect in the times, I am trying to make sure I get every note first time rather than a fast time and sometimes having a pause to think about what I am looking at even though Im ready to click just to try and ingrain the position on the stave for the next time it comes up, Like you lojo Im all about the D in the middle and low E and top C Im ace at!