Why become a member? ×

bass clef YTS

lojo

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1035528' date='Nov 24 2010, 07:51 PM']For [b]bilbo/doddy[/b]- If Im following the staff in C time with quarter notes I presume I should pluck, Slap, Pick or whatever 4 times in a bar and I should just be letting it ring out for the duration of a whole or half note? (unless it says stacato etc obviously). The book has confused me a little with the way the flags are shown for practicing timing of 8th and 16th notes, If there is say a D with a stem and 1 flag how many plucks should I do, one but at the timing interval required to fit it where 1 8th or 16 would go? That seams right to me but in the section to clap along with it just doesnt seam to work although obviously the rythms are set out very uneven unlike a piece of music to try and get you to understand,But I dont! Ta[/quote]

I think you're looking for something like this, right?

Since they're the "American" names for the notes, see Bilbo's post for the English names.

Worth noting that every time you half the legnth of a note, you add another flag, as you can see in the difference between the quaver and the semi-quaver (both in the note and the rest). A hemi semi quaver would have 3 flags, a hemi demi semi quaver 4 and so on.

Also a dot after the note adds half of the legnth again to the note, so a dotted crotchet, is worth 1 and a half crotchets, or 3 quavers.

Pete, looks like you are really making good ground with this

Im still doing the name the note without thinking thing, but hope soon to move on to basics of note length

Any links to simple covers / standards for some starter music to mess around with, all i got here is motown type scores, which I only got for the guitar chords

Thats what I was thinking lojo as the music in my book is all awkward timing and rests to try and prove a point but I am concidering trying to learn some actual music now. I might even go all the way back to nursery rhyme type stuff to begin with just to really get the notes down. Im happy with breaking the 1 second barrier on the quiz though as I must have some skill at spotting the dots at least. Its more the timing that troubles me now.

[quote name='AntLockyer' post='1039228' date='Nov 27 2010, 08:04 PM']I have a question that is kind of related.

I know the above notation is E A D G what I want to confirm is that it relates to the actual notes you would get if you played open strings to get it. Does that make sense?[/quote]

Yeah that's right

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1039988' date='Nov 28 2010, 03:12 PM']I have had a busy weekend again, Good gig though! Im going to write in my book the proper names as its confusing with all the whole notes and half notes etc. I suppose its a bit of a negative mark against the book I have?

How are the rest of the provisional readers getting on? Its all gone a bit quiet....[/quote]
Yes, sorry, I've been incredibly busy, but I've been doing a bit where I can.

I started to feel the need for a good book. Out of the blue at the SE Bass Bash yesterday Thunderbird13 gave me the Bass Builders Simplified Sight Reading for Bass. I had a look last night and it's superb! A really excellent book for learning this stuff at any level. It's just masses of exercises in a very logical structured format with very useful explanations and techniques for learning. I found I could do most of the timing exercises quite easily, even the dotted notes and rests, tied notes, etc. It's the actual notes and how they relate to the bass I need to really focus on. Comes with a CD although T13's was missing as per his earlier post. I have just ordered the book with CD from Amazon along with Fingerboard Harmony for Bass by Gary Willis, from the same series of books (both just over £11 each). I'm really excited by all this :)

I'm already becoming a lot more creative as a result of dipping my toes in the water. Wish I'd have done this 20 years ago but then I have a lot of experience and fragments of theory and attitude to draw upon so all this will be applied much more effectively to my playing and composition. I already have a musical philosophy and I'm starting to realise I [b]do [/b]have an attitude and some personality on my chosen instrument. All that is going to help me apply the theory and develop a lot more, more quickly.

My attitude to this has changed completely. Not knowing theory and not being able to read now makes me feel like a right sucker. I could have been so much better as a musician had I bothered to get my head out my arse years ago, and even recently. I also feel like a baby, incomplete and naive to music. Here starts a new and exciting journey!

Sounds like a good book I might get it as it sounds a bit more logical than the one I have and its all in yank talk!
I have the opposite problem to you by the sounds of it, I can spot the notes and transfer quite quickly to the fretboard but Have trouble with the note lengths while reading them. I think I need some very simple (like I said before almost nursery rhyme stuff) to get the note lengths together before going any further. Keep it up as we said before its not a race and every little bit learnt is a bonus. :)

[quote name='silddx' post='1040347' date='Nov 28 2010, 09:46 PM']My attitude to this has changed completely. Not knowing theory and not being able to read now makes me feel like a right sucker. I could have been so much better as a musician had I bothered to get my head out my arse years ago, and even recently. I also feel like a baby, incomplete and naive to music. Here starts a new and exciting journey![/quote]

:)

You still don't need to read to be in a band, right...

Seriously though, I'm glad you've 'found' reading, Sild.
It definetly makes one a better musician.

Edited by Faithless

[quote name='Faithless' post='1041059' date='Nov 29 2010, 12:42 PM']:)

You still don't need to read to be in a band, right...

Seriously though, I'm glad you've 'found' reading, Sild.
It definetly makes one a better musician.[/quote]
Thanks mate.

I have never "needed" to read in any band I've ever been in, but I suppose I have a good ear and can pick things up quickly and compose, sing harmonies, etc. But reading gives you access to so much information that was previously hidden. I want to study harmony, and counterpoint, in much more depth once I have learned this language.

Cheers.

I'm fillin' up :)

Its great to see so many people 'getting it' at last. Its not about doing a reading gig, its about gettin g more out of your practice time, learning the neck, learning to play without looking at your hands (and without poking your tongue out), about relationships between notes and strings and chords and tunes and melodies and harmony and rhythm.

Its brill and I wish I could do it better!

Im glad you guys are getting on with the reading skills, i'm still at the identify the dots stage and want to get that down to know on sight, and its going well

Had a session last night with a band ahead of a gig, and was chatting to our fairly new keyboard player, who is well trained in theory, turns out he has played double bass in orchestras for 25 years (i had no idea, as we only know him as a piano player who does restaurants) so I'm going to make sure I pick his brains

Strangely though, he asked why I was learning to read, and I said something along the lines of "so I can work out more complicated lines without having to rewind 100 times", he replied "most of it isn't that detailed anyway"

I checked a book today, it has the music to "whats going on", it seems it does cover the basic line, but not detail all the different subtle changes Jamerson plays

Does this mean that, at least for covering most mainstream music, the written sheets lack the detail ?

I'm not suggesting we go back to the start of the thread, but I am just wondering if as Tab, you still have to fill in the blanks by ear if you want the detail ?

[quote name='Bilbo' post='1041369' date='Nov 29 2010, 04:55 PM']Its brill and I wish I could do it better![/quote]

Thats not helping :)

Edited by lojo

I printed out major-minor's Bass Bootcamp Session 1 today. f***ing BRILLIANT!! There's an pinned link index of them all (20 odd sessions) in the Theory section.

Be working on my triads reading and playing tonight.

Love the Simplified Sight Reading for Bass book too, it really is ace.

Feeling GOOD!

[quote name='lojo' post='1041451' date='Nov 29 2010, 06:07 PM']Does this mean that, at least for covering most mainstream music, the written sheets lack the detail ?[/quote]

Yes, if what was on the record wasn't what was transcribed :)

The big thing about music over tab is rhythm and some sense of feel/volume as well.

I'm odd in that I know a whole lot of music theory (I have some formal musical training some of which was quite recent) but only know 3 notes on the fret board by name. I know the patterns for the intervals but don't know any scales.

Filling in the gaps shouldn't take long.

[quote name='silddx' post='1040347' date='Nov 28 2010, 07:46 PM']My attitude to this has changed completely. Not knowing theory and not being able to read now makes me feel like a right sucker. I could have been so much better as a musician had I bothered to get my head out my arse years ago, and even recently. I also feel like a baby, incomplete and naive to music. Here starts a new and exciting journey![/quote]

My feelings exactly mate.

I feel musically illiterate, but you guys have all helped motivate me to arrange my first lesson with Jakesbass - it's happening next week and I'm genuinely excited about it - definitely the start of a journey :)

[quote name='Andy' post='1042271' date='Nov 30 2010, 12:54 PM']My feelings exactly mate.

I feel musically illiterate, but you guys have all helped motivate me to arrange my first lesson with Jakesbass - it's happening next week and I'm genuinely excited about it - definitely the start of a journey :)[/quote]
Hey, mate, be prepared for the most exciting and stimulating music lesson of your life. Jake's a bloody hero. Glad you went for it :)

Well, I am getting on pretty well with this. Started Major-Minor's Boot Camp in the Theory and Technique section. And got this great little book as a reference. [url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1860960901/ref=oss_product"]http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1860960...ref=oss_product[/url]

Just waiting for my Simple Sight Reading for Bass and the Gary Willis Fingerboard Theory books to arrive. Going to buy a music stand and really get on with it.

I'm really learning a lot from this, it's expanding my ears too!