Why become a member? ×

bass clef YTS

lojo

You have found us over here then Linus, Welcome to the slowest moving thread on BC! But it is moving and it was started from a very negative bunch of threads about reading which has turned into something useful for those that could see beyond the usual arguments in those sorts of thread (there hasn't been one for a while so we are due one anytime now) nice and steady appears to be the approach from most of us but your 12 month goal is no bad thing if you can find the time. Please keep the updates coming, I will and everyone else seams to drop in with an update now and then. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Well I had a 2 hour lesson last week and have [i]loads[/i] to practice!

Im doing some scales, Major, Minor, Major Pentatonic and Minor Pentatonic to start with which as a lot of us know we sort of already know but not why so a bit of time playing around in each scale and moving the scale about the fret board into different keys and including open strings will be good to know.

We also did some work on timing values which I understand a lot more now but still need to get a better grip of it which may come in conjuction with...

Reading! We had a wizz through the notes and Im ok with them I just need more time to get faster but thats ok. We learnt about the key signatures at the start and the circle of fifths flat/sharp and how you dont need to keep putting the sharp/flat/naturals all over the place once the key is in place from the start.
Now my worst area (I guess everyones the same here?) timing from the note duration values! I spent 2 hours in bed tapping the book to get 4 counts to a bar. By the time my head was ready to explode I was getting some fairly complex timings including Minims, Crotchets, Quavers and Semi Quavers but its all very slow and with no thought given to the actual notes.

Well there you go, Im going to study as and when I can then go back for some more to the top man that is Doddy :)

Im not doing enough either Nigel because of the bands Im in but I guess I can look at the neck more whilst playing stuff I know well and look for the connections as far as scales etc and I can try and count the old 1 e and a, 2 e and a at the same time too. Im going to [i]transcribe [/i](? doddy/bilbo) the stuff I play in the originals band when I get time to see if that helps the eyes see the patterns and timing more clearly. Slowly but surely :)

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1143684' date='Feb 27 2011, 06:59 PM']Im not doing enough either Nigel because of the bands Im in but I guess I can look at the neck more whilst playing stuff I know well and look for the connections as far as scales etc and I can try and count the old 1 e and a, 2 e and a at the same time too. Im going to [i]transcribe [/i](? doddy/bilbo) the stuff I play in the originals band when I get time to see if that helps the eyes see the patterns and timing more clearly. Slowly but surely :)[/quote]
I've certainly seen benefits. I've also noticed they diminish when I stop actively learning this stuff. Too busy on my new drum kit to be bothered at the moment :)

Hello boys
I've just had a go and I got a "bass apprentice" scoring. More practice required me thinks .....

Try having a look at

[url="http://practicesightreading.com/"]http://practicesightreading.com/[/url]
and

I find these very usefull

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1143694' date='Feb 27 2011, 07:07 PM']Have you learnt to forget your sticks, Hi hats and kick drum pedal yet? Its page 1 of being a drummer even the best players I have worked with do it from time to time "Oh no they are still on my practice kit at home" :)[/quote]

Love the fact that the lowest score on the bass note quiz is 'drummer'

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1143694' date='Feb 27 2011, 07:07 PM']Have you learnt to forget your sticks, Hi hats and kick drum pedal yet? Its page 1 of being a drummer even the best players I have worked with do it from time to time "Oh no they are still on my practice kit at home" :)[/quote]
I forget I'm using them while I'm playing :)

I'm making a fair bit of progress actually, and REALLY enjoying it! Been playing around with stuff I'm nicking from Herb Alexander on 'Eleven', it's in 8/11, imaginative song title from Primus, eh?! Worthy of a jazzer, that :lol:

I'll record a short ensemble soon and stick it up for a harsh critique. I must say, it's so nice to be doing something new and exciting and being a n00b. I get a bit tired of bass sometimes and wish I had more gigs and rehearsals, drums has reinvigorated me.

[quote name='chilievans' post='1144961' date='Feb 28 2011, 08:55 PM']Hello boys
I've just had a go and I got a "bass apprentice" scoring. More practice required me thinks .....

Try having a look at

and

I find these very usefull[/quote]

I just had a quick look, Its quite hard without a beat behind it but I will try again when I have more spare time, Thanks.

[quote name='silddx' post='1145033' date='Feb 28 2011, 09:26 PM']I'm making a fair bit of progress actually, and REALLY enjoying it! Been playing around with stuff I'm nicking from Herb Alexander on 'Eleven', it's in 8/11, imaginative song title from Primus, eh?! Worthy of a jazzer, that :)[/quote]

Nearly.... It's in 11/8 not 8/11.

Sorry , late to this thread!

There's a great app available for iPhone / iPod touch called "Bass Clef" that's a more sophisticated version of this quiz.

Basically, instead of clicking on boxes with the note names, you have a bass fingerboard on the screen (4, 5 or 6 strings, left / right handed) and as the notation appears in a box you tap the note on the fingerboard. It also covers sharps and flats.

Very useful! [url="http://www.frodis.com/bassclef/index.html"]http://www.frodis.com/bassclef/index.html[/url]

Edited by Fat Rich

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1143655' date='Feb 27 2011, 06:39 PM']Well I had a 2 hour lesson last week and have [i]loads[/i] to practice!
[edit]
Well there you go, Im going to study as and when I can then go back for some more to the top man that is Doddy :)[/quote]

Cheers Pete :)

Glad to help. I love your pre EB Stingray,by the way.

[quote name='Doddy' post='1146126' date='Mar 1 2011, 05:46 PM']Cheers Pete :)

Glad to help. I love your pre EB Stingray,by the way.[/quote]

Thanks Doddy, I will be back once I get stuck again but I have plenty for now although I think I have come on a bit since I saw you already mainly tapping rhythms out and those scales ( I can see the relation now with the pentatonics to the major + minor) and I'm using the fingering you taught me too :)

Edited by stingrayPete1977

• 2 weeks later...

Well I have grabbed an hour here and there and I guess Im close to the point where I could say I can read :) I could not sight read obviously but if someone gave me notation for an original song the bass line I would arrive at rehersal with would be very similar to the one the rest of the band had heard before from who ever put it down in ink, Thats without me ever hearing the song before! Its quite weird but very addictive to go from a few blobs on a page to playing something recognisable in only a few minutes. Theres still a never ending journey in front but its coming together a bit more each time I look at the books. Im up to Page 17 so far playing in time on the E and A string is all done, next section is D string notes followed by G string then D and G together (which is practically the same as E and A I have just done anyway). After that it becomes more theory based as all the notes will of been covered along with Crotchet, Quaver and Semi breve rhythyms. I guess once I have started that bit in more detail I will be back to Doddy to get some more guidance but for now I find going back to the start of the book playing Minims & Crotchets slowly right up to where I am now is taking less time and making more sense each time so I will carry on like this until I feel there is no point doing the first 20 pages again and again.

There we are then just an update to keep the appetites going :)

• 3 weeks later...

Its all gone quiet over here again guys?

I have made loads of progress now but my main downfall is still note duration, At least I have something in particular to work on where as when I first got my book it all just looked scary! I have downloaded Musescore and put down most of an originals band song and printed it off which Im quite proud of it even if its not perfect, To think that I have gone from nothing at christmas to transcribing from ear to staff including ERB notes is pretty good IMO so I will give myself a pat on the back :)

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1202676' date='Apr 17 2011, 03:40 PM']Just me left in here now then is it?[/quote]

That's my experience of reading, make great progress initially, keep plugging away at it, something in life comes along and demands my attention for a couple of weeks, have another quick go at the reading but find I'm going to have to spend a fair bit of time to get back to where I was, and never quite get round to it. :)