Why become a member? ×

New Funky Amp - thoughts please

Floyd Pepper

Hi All,

I'm considering changing my bass amp and keen to get some input on what should be on the shortlist to try.
I'm currently using an SWR golite amp head but I'm keen for a bit more headroom (some where between 500 - 750) + it would be nice to see where the controls are set when I'm on stage.

I use 2 x Berg 12 cabs (HT & EX) and mainly using a Marcus Miller Jazz Bass with Bart pre-amp. Style of music is very much funk and soul.
So, I've got an Aguilar AG500sc and I'd like to try a Thunderfunk.....anything else on that should be on my list?

Cheers, Jim

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='1022115' date='Nov 13 2010, 02:56 AM']I don't think there's a "funk amp" to be honest. :) Although a vintage Ampeg fliptop or a Fender Bassman would be good starting points but a bit underpowered. Try everything you can get your hands on.[/quote]

Yep, I know it's all in the fingers!
Just wondered what others are using and what experiences you have.
Cheers

I use the Fender Bassman to your left, often teamed up with a 79 Stingray for truly scrumptious funky bass tones of much phatness, warmth and clarity, plus a bit of grit when you want it.

Can't fault the sound and never had a problem with being underpowered. This beast is LOUD! especially through my big cab (4 ohm Bassman 2x15) not pictured

[quote name='Bassnut62' post='1023914' date='Nov 14 2010, 08:32 PM']I use the Fender Bassman to your left, often teamed up with a 79 Stingray for truly scrumptious funky bass tones of much phatness, warmth and clarity, plus a bit of grit when you want it.

Can't fault the sound and never had a problem with being underpowered. This beast is LOUD! especially through my big cab (4 ohm Bassman 2x15) not pictured[/quote]

Now that's one I hadn't considered....thanks

I've recently picked up a tc electronic classic 450 and although just 450 is huge sounding (much much louder than my old Ashdown ABM500). By far the most flexible head I ever owned and so simple to use. I play plenty of funk and am really really pleased with it. MarloweDK now uses the sw***y posh version of the same amp (RH450) and that guy is funk personified.

Cheers for the recommendations guys and interesting to get your views.

Eden and TC are possibles although I tried an Ampeg SVT 7 pro the other day which I was seriously impressed with.
I used to use TE amps years ago and as great as they were I can only remember the weight of the thing.

I've only heard good things about Thunderfunk although the 550 is a bit hard to come by. I know there is a 750 on the For Sale thread but still a bit pricey for me

[quote name='Floyd Pepper' post='1026446' date='Nov 16 2010, 10:13 PM']I used to use TE amps years ago and as great as they were I can only remember the weight of the thing.[/quote]

The heads are not that heavy! The cabs are the major problem but you have two Bergs so no problem at all! :)

[quote name='urb' post='1027755' date='Nov 18 2010, 11:22 AM']Genz Benz Shuttle 9.0 would rock with 2 Berg 12s - looooooads of headroom there :)

That's all I can say

M[/quote]

A friend of mine used to have a SWR Headlite, i tried it and it was nice but lacking a bit of punch. He bought a shuttle 6.0 and after we tried them both head to head the Headlight seemed to have a little advantage in the low region. Now he's happily playing through a 9.0 with all the punch and low ever needed! So +1 on that (actually is +2 as i'm also waiting for the arival of mine... damn those customs... :) )

• 2 weeks later...

For those that are interested, I just thought I'd close this thread out.....

Well, after several weeks of trying out amps with my MM Jazz Bass (Shuttle's, MB III, TC, Ampeg and Ashdown), I finally went for.............
a TC RH450.

I've tried to discard the recent 'hype' about these TC amps and I know (on paper) it's only 50W more than the SWR but in my opinion, these amps [i]are[/i] very good.

Nice warm sound, loud with both 12" Berg's, presets, built in tuner, built in compressor option, smooth gain control and lights up like a Xmas tree!
(I tried a TC Classic where I could here single coil hum but not with the RH450 which was interesting.)

I've used it a few times now before writing this reply and I'm loving that 'old skool' sound.
Thanks to everyone for their input.
Cheers, Jim