Why become a member? ×

Painted Basses vs Natural Wood Basses

xilddx

As long as it's not sunburst I'm happy :)

Okay in truth I prefer natural wood, it doesn't tend to show dings as easily as painted, it doesn't tend to fade in a way that looks old and dirty (in my opinion) but also I love the individuality of wood grain. I also tend to like the natural look of things.

This all said I do have a white Jaydee on order, so I'm not an exclusive wood finish kinda guy :)

EDIT: Just thought though, interestingly (well not really) I would never want a natural precision (if indeed I ever wanted a precision) that would just seem wrong - but I don't know why.

Edited by purpleblob

Different makes and model do it for me in different finishes so I dont have a preference for any but If I was buying new I would always go for a finish where the grain is at least visible either natural or a trans finish because in my mind the best bits of wood would always be put to one side for those finishes and the ugly ducklings in the solid finish pile :)

I agree the finish needs to match the style of the bass. I have basses in natural finish, tinted finish, sunburst, solid colour and custom graphics and I would like to think that each finish is appropriate for the bass in question. So as long as the finish looks right to me for a particular bass I'm happy.

What I'm less happy with is necks that don't match the body finish. Unless the neck is made out of a completely different material to the body such as aluminium, it looks cheap and nasty. I can understand it on inexpensive basses with bolt-on necks where it's simply a cost-cutting exercise to help get the instrument to the desired price point, but on any thing "serious" no thanks. And when it's on a set neck like the Gibson Grabber II it just makes me wonder what the "designer" was smoking to make them think that it was ever a good idea or aesthetically pleasing!

I love a nice grain pattern, I had a quilted maple guitar once which was stunning, my Gibson SG bass is a faded cherry re-issue and it looks great, when new it was matt but with wear and tear is getting shiny like an old vintage guitar, another reason I like my Gibson is that it cannot get a nasty paint chip !

I like to see wood grain – don’t mind if it’s covered with coloured lacquer as long as it’s understated and the wood grain remains visible.

Several reasons for this…

Seeing wood grain is usually a pretty reliable means of telling that the bass isn’t made of plywood or MDF! My first bass was and I vowed “never again”. Nice wood usually says "nice quality".

A bass is a musical instrument. IMHO a painted finish, especially a brightly coloured one, can sometimes make it look like a toy.

Wood is an organic material – somehow there’s something appropriate about that when seen in a musical instrument.

I’ve always been a keen wood-worker. I just love the stuff in all it varieties and see it as a thing of beauty, to be enjoyed. To me it just seems plain wrong to hide a nice piece of wood under a layer of paint - especially on an expensive quality bass.

If Fender actually produced more models in different woods with a natural finish I daresay I'd change the habit of a lifetime and actually want to buy one.

Very amusing.

Paint was surely originally used to cover up the fact that the body is made of from 3 slabs of wood. Having said that my 76 Precision is 3 pieces of wood (Ash) and has a natural finish!! I'm not a fan of the solid coating of plastic that Fender put on their instruments since the 70's. I prefer the 50's/60's nitro finish.

Anyways, the sound is better from unfinished instruments - so that's why you see so many oiled natural basses these days.

Finally, if your luthier can do this with the neck joint:

Why would you cover it with paint???

Cheers
Davo