Why become a member? ×

Painted Basses vs Natural Wood Basses

xilddx

I much prefer painted basses, don't care what the paint is, nitro, poly, acrylic .. and I like them white.

I think this obsession with seeing wood grain, that so many bassists seem to have, is a bit strange. It's as if they will feel closer to god if the wood grain is visible. Everytime they pick it up and behold the evidence of the natural world, it's like a little trip to Nepal to find oneself.

If the bass has the wood pattern visible, preferably unfinished and just oiled, the player will experience the PERSONALITY of the bass, and they will will PLAY with personality. They will bond with the bass, they will stare at the unique and beautiful mesmerising patterns in the wood and they will appreciate BEAUTY and WHOLESOMENESS in the patterns and this will help them become one with the earth and the stars. Their minds will open with this BEAUTY and their music will be unique and beautiful and they will BECOME ONE WITH THEIR BASS!

Then they commission another one a few months later.

That and the fact that paint/laquer etc usually covers second rate lumps of wood :)

I think a little of it is that wood doesn't date quite the same as some coloured finsihes. And many people just have an aesthetic preference for wood - wooden tables, wooden beds, wooden doors, windows etc.

[quote name='Bilbo' post='1019949' date='Nov 11 2010, 12:38 PM']That and the fact that paint/laquer etc usually covers second rate lumps of wood :)

I think a little of it is that wood doesn't date quite the same as some coloured finsihes. And many people just have an aesthetic preference for wood - wooden tables, wooden beds, wooden doors, windows etc.[/quote]

So why did householders in the '60s and '70s paint all their wood and nail hardboard over their Victorian wood panel doors then? :)

Hmmm. I like natural finishes because i think a nicely grained bit of wood is nice to look at, that's it. It doesn't make me feel closer to the instrument, nor does it make my playing any more "natural". I like it for exactly the same reasons you like painted basses - the appearance

To me it's much less flashy than a painted bass, don't even get me started on white basses! Bloody 80s yuppies! :)

[quote name='lemmywinks' post='1019971' date='Nov 11 2010, 12:55 PM']Hmmm. I like natural finishes because i think a nicely grained bit of wood is nice to look at, that's it. It doesn't make me feel closer to the instrument, nor does it make my playing any more "natural". I like it for exactly the same reasons you like painted basses - the appearance

To me it's much less flashy than a painted bass, don't even get me started on white basses! Bloody 80s yuppies! :)[/quote]
:)

[quote name='silddx' post='1019941' date='Nov 11 2010, 12:34 PM']I much prefer painted basses, don't care what the paint is, nitro, poly, acrylic .. and I like them white.

I think this obsession with seeing wood grain, that so many bassists seem to have, is a bit strange. It's as if they will feel closer to god if the wood grain is visible. Everytime they pick it up and behold the evidence of the natural world, it's like a little trip to Nepal to find oneself.

If the bass has the wood pattern visible, preferably unfinished and just oiled, the player will experience the PERSONALITY of the bass, and they will will PLAY with personality. They will bond with the bass, they will stare at the unique and beautiful mesmerising patterns in the wood and they will appreciate BEAUTY and WHOLESOMENESS in the patterns and this will help them become one with the earth and the stars. Their minds will open with this BEAUTY and their music will be unique and beautiful and they will BECOME ONE WITH THEIR BASS!

Then they commission another one a few months later.[/quote]

That made me laugh!

I just love the look of grain, theres soo many different types of wood out there with incredible grains. It would be a waste to paint over it with hammerite or something!

My basses have a translucent finish, so the grain is visible. A happy medium? Perhaps.
I even had my SR scratch plate made from rosewood I love woods so much!

But then, this is why we have an options list! If every one had the same gear, it would be a boring world!

Dan

I have two basses which I've stripped back to the wood - 1970s ones too so I've devalued them in the process! Silddx, you must think I'm crazy! :)

I did it as a couple of players in the 70s did it & I liked it. Much more of a visual than a tonal thing for me.

I'd add I have a beautiful Sunburst bass too & I really don't have a preference

[quote name='SPHDS' post='1020204' date='Nov 11 2010, 03:10 PM']Generally would say natural, but not a huge fan of fancy figuring/splatting/quilting etc, and do like stains on occasion![/quote]

Thats kinda what i like.
Funny thing is i find myself drooling over all the fancy spalts etc. in the builds section but having absolutely no desire to own them. The basses i usually GAS over are quite plain by comparison, the Zoot is the most "fancy" bass i own but that's still a very simple ebony top

I think Silddx needs to get the sandpaper out on his Chris Squire bass and give it a nice mahogany stain! :)

[quote name='silddx' post='1019965' date='Nov 11 2010, 12:52 PM']So why did householders in the '60s and '70s paint all their wood and nail hardboard over their Victorian wood panel doors then? :)[/quote]

For the same reason I would never let Laurence Llewelyn Bowen through my front door? :)

[quote]....Painted Basses vs Natural Wood Basses....[/quote]
I've got both and neither is better than the other because of their finish.

Having said that If I ever get another bass, I'll be disappointed if it isn't a 3 tone sunburst with a rosewood finger board!

[quote name='chris_b' post='1020306' date='Nov 11 2010, 04:00 PM']I've got both and neither is better than the other because of their finish.

Having said that If I ever get another bass, I'll be disappointed if it isn't a 3 tone sunburst with a rosewood finger board![/quote]
Oh I'm not disputing what's "better" whatever than means.

[quote name='pantherairsoft' post='1020317' date='Nov 11 2010, 04:06 PM'][b]I prefer natural finishes[/b]... That said I like a few painted basses too. Love the stealth look. I tend to be drawn to interesting looking wood grain... but I don't think I'd so no to a georgeous painted bass.[/quote]
I know you do :) I've seen your RIM!

When are you off to Nepal?

[quote name='lemmywinks' post='1020273' date='Nov 11 2010, 03:40 PM']Thats kinda what i like.
Funny thing is i find myself drooling over all the fancy spalts etc. in the builds section but having absolutely no desire to own them. The basses i usually GAS over are quite plain by comparison, the Zoot is the most "fancy" bass i own but that's still a very simple ebony top

I think Silddx needs to get the sandpaper out on his Chris Squire bass and give it a nice mahogany stain! :)[/quote]

Nah.....fancy wood just doesn't do it for me at all, but if they like it........!

Re. the plain basses, got to agree there - natural Precision with black pickguard and silver hardware, or a natural Jazz ditto, wouldn't mind an Explorer like that either actually......!