Why become a member? ×

Scratch Pad

wal4string

Just wondering, has anybody tried the Scratch Pad. I hate belt buckle marks on the back of my bass and normally put a line of masking tape across the back, have also tried a piece of foam on the back which is a bit like but larger than a mouse mat but was trying to find the right sort of glue to fix it without damaging the bass when removed, rather than the double sided tape I am using, I then stumbled across The Scratch Pad, also for sale on eBay in the States.

[url="http://www.scratchpadusa.com/index.html"]http://www.scratchpadusa.com/index.html[/url] well worth a check, what I really like about it is it can be easilly removed and transferred to another instrument. Don't like the graphics though.

I use these on all my basses as does Happy Jack. I have posted about the merits of these before and been the subject of much derision! Apparently its way cooler to either move you belt buckle out of the way, tuck you shirt over you belt, or alternatively scuff up your bass and I am a nerd for paying the princely sum of £15 odd quid to protect a bass costing over a grand :)

Strange old world, Clarky. I`m not fussed about any legit wear & tear on my gigging basses, but if I had an instrument I wanted to keep in pristine condition I`d have no hesitation in buying these, rather than leaving to chance my shirt would protect it. Not geeky - bl**din sensible in my view.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='1020059' date='Nov 11 2010, 01:56 PM']I don't wear a belt.[/quote]
Mine hangs below the belt.... but no sniggering at the back!

I've raised & raised the height as I've got older, it just feels more comfortable - a knock on affect from my mis-spent youth :)

[quote name='Clarky' post='1019934' date='Nov 11 2010, 12:29 PM']I use these on all my basses as does Happy Jack. I have posted about the merits of these before and been the subject of much derision! Apparently its way cooler to either move you belt buckle out of the way, tuck you shirt over you belt, or alternatively scuff up your bass and I am a nerd for paying the princely sum of £15 odd quid to protect a bass costing over a grand :)[/quote]

+100

I never play ANY of my basses without one of these on the back.

I've never yet scratched ANY of my basses on the back.

A little-known feature of these pads is that an incredibly clever design feature renders them [i][b]completely invisible[/b][/i]. This feature essentially revolves around the concept of putting the pad on the back.

And, of course, the pads make a major contribution to my God-like tone ...

:)

[quote name='wal4string' post='1020048' date='Nov 11 2010, 01:47 PM']I must be a nerd. I just ordered one.[/quote]

heh, we all have our weaknesses :)

I can't care less about ligt marks on teh back. I do try to keep my instruments in nice condition, I look after them, bring a nice stand to use on stage rather than propping them against teh amp or a wall... BUT any instrument I use regularly is going to get a few marks here and there over time. If I lend you my bass and you are careless with it... I'll give you hell. If it gets a ding whilst being used reasonably... it's not a big deal to me. If I want a bass to look like new 30 years from now, I'll put it in a glass case and display it in my music room :lol:
BUt that's just me, of course.
I'm sure I care too much about some other things that you find ridiculous. Human variety :)

• 1 month later...

[quote name='wal4string' post='1020048' date='Nov 11 2010, 01:47 PM']I must be a nerd. I just ordered one.[/quote]
Thought I should update my post. Have had the scratch pad for close on 2 months now and can honestly say it is a great bass add-on.

One point nobody picked up on, also great against the skin when playing naked, so smooth and warm against the skin, its velvet feel is a bit of a turn on. :)

[quote name='wal4string' post='1085610' date='Jan 11 2011, 03:36 PM']Thought I should update my post. Have had the scratch pad for close on 2 months now and can honestly say it is a great bass add-on.

One point nobody picked up on, also great against the skin when playing naked, so smooth and warm against the skin, its velvet feel is a bit of a turn on. :)[/quote]
:)

Do you cuddle the bass afterwards and tell it you love it? :lol:

One alternative is to just buy trousers that fit properly...

Seriously, I never had a problem with this (due to the aforementioned trousers not needing a belt) but when I used my Ibby sr500 as the house instrument for a jam night, it got progressively more and more mauled by the other punters! One of these would have been a good idea and I'll get something like it if I ever do something similar with my loving if amateur refinned jazz.

I've just realised though, my bass has crept upwards over the last few years such that even if I wore a belt it still wouldn't scratch it :)
At 29 I've become a sad, old man.

[quote name='LawrenceH' post='1085774' date='Jan 11 2011, 05:32 PM']One alternative is to just buy trousers that fit properly...

Seriously, I never had a problem with this (due to the aforementioned trousers not needing a belt) but when I used my Ibby sr500 as the house instrument for a jam night, it got progressively more and more mauled by the other punters! One of these would have been a good idea and I'll get something like it if I ever do something similar with my loving if amateur refinned jazz.

I've just realised though, my bass has crept upwards over the last few years such that even if I wore a belt it still wouldn't scratch it :)
At 29 I've become a sad, old man.[/quote]

Why not an all-in-one suit made out of microfibre cloth?