Why become a member? ×

Any ideas for relic'ing tuners?

cameltoe

Guys, I got fed up with the neck dive on my ridiculously light RoadWorn P, so I replaced the stock tuners with some Gotoh GBR640's (They are amazing tuners, fit perfectly, and are reverse-tune to keep the period-correct function of the stock tuners) and now I am very happy. The one thing that's not quite right, is that I now have really shiney chrome tuners on the end of my battered guitar! The tuners that came off were nicely reliced (the metal was tarnished lovely and really looked the part- a recent custom shop P bass I played had the same tuners)-would anyone have any idea how to try and replicate this?

Chaaaars

[url="http://www.relicdeluxe.com/default.asp"]http://www.relicdeluxe.com/default.asp[/url]

Plenty of info on this site.

At the moment I've got screws soaking in salt and another lot in vinegar as recommended by other BC'ers. Will check them out in the morning and let you know if it has achieved the desired effect.

All the best, Gary

I understand your pain with the neck dive. I fitted a D Tuner on mine (just to make the neck dive worse) and a little going over on the peg head with some light grade wire wool did the trick plus just letting it get dull from finger contact. I'm not bothered about the actual mech looking worn plus leaving that part alone keeps the action smooth.

[quote name='gary mac' post='1016973' date='Nov 8 2010, 10:14 PM'][url="http://www.relicdeluxe.com/default.asp"]http://www.relicdeluxe.com/default.asp[/url]

Plenty of info on this site.

At the moment I've got screws soaking in salt and another lot in vinegar as recommended by other BC'ers. Will check them out in the morning and let you know if it has achieved the desired effect.

All the best, Gary[/quote]

It's a damn good job I'm a well balanced individual - a lesser man would have suggested cow urine just for the sheer comic value of it... :)

Edited by icastle

The chrome plated tuners on my cherry sunburst precision are as shiny as the day I bought it in October 1982, however the nickel-plated ones on my MIJ '62 reissue took on the aged patina naturally after a short while. If your new ones are chrome plated, I think you may need to change them for a set of nickel plated ones to get the desired look.

[quote name='gary mac' post='1018863' date='Nov 10 2010, 03:09 PM']The overnight soak didn't seem to achieve much really in either of the solutions. Screws still looked shiny and new.

Time for plan b, only there isn't one at this stage.[/quote]

How about this for a daft idea...

My wife uses hairspray and it gets all over the bathroom mirror and is a real b*gger to get off... that'd take the shine off your screws perhaps?

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='1018885' date='Nov 10 2010, 03:31 PM']The chrome plated tuners on my cherry sunburst precision are as shiny as the day I bought it in October 1982, however the nickel-plated ones on my MIJ '62 reissue took on the aged patina naturally after a short while. If your new ones are chrome plated, I think you may need to change them for a set of nickel plated ones to get the desired look.[/quote]

This is true, regular aging techniques work for nickel plate but won't touch chrome

[quote name='gary mac' post='1018863' date='Nov 10 2010, 03:09 PM']Screws still looked shiny and new.

Time for plan b, only there isn't one at this stage.[/quote]
If it's just the screws, simple! Just rub the heads with a dry brillo pad to make them duller. It's what I do and it works a treat. It doesn't have to be an exact science as it's such a small part.

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='1019333' date='Nov 10 2010, 08:46 PM']If it's just the screws, simple! Just rub the heads with a dry brillo pad to make them duller. It's what I do and it works a treat. It doesn't have to be an exact science as it's such a small part.[/quote]
I was just experimenting with screws as they are the cheapest items and easily replaceable if I manage to ruin them.

But thanks, I try the brillo pad method tomorrow.

[quote name='RhysP' post='1020850' date='Nov 11 2010, 11:55 PM']1. Put your tuners in the sink.
2. Drink a couple of bottles of red wine.
3. Vomit copiously over the tuners & leave overnight.

This exact method stripped the chrome off the plughole in my bathroom sink so it should relic your tuners a treat. :)[/quote]

LMAO - I think Gary was after [i]"reliced"[/i] not regurgitated... :)

[quote name='gary mac' post='1021495' date='Nov 12 2010, 02:41 PM']My wife who is usually the most reasonable of people, won't allow the vomit in the sink method.[/quote]

Got it!

The shiny chrome plated rings on our gas hob had gone really manky, we used a whole pile of different cleaning stuff and it made no difference.
Last night we dropped them into a bowl of Caustic Soda that we picked up from our local DIY chainstore.
This morning I fished them out and washed them down - the Caustic Soda had certainly removed all of the mank... and the chrome plate as well - they're all dull now.

Good news for your quest but not so good for our oven... :)

[quote name='icastle' post='1021529' date='Nov 12 2010, 03:02 PM']Got it!

The shiny chrome plated rings on our gas hob had gone really manky, we used a whole pile of different cleaning stuff and it made no difference.
Last night we dropped them into a bowl of Caustic Soda that we picked up from our local DIY chainstore.
This morning I fished them out and washed them down - the Caustic Soda had certainly removed all of the mank... and the chrome plate as well - they're all dull now.

Good news for your quest but not so good for our oven... :)[/quote]

I think she will allow that one.

I might actually try Caustic Soda, maybe not an overnighter though, just an hour or so.

[quote name='gary mac' post='1021625' date='Nov 12 2010, 04:15 PM']I think she will allow that one.
I might actually try Caustic Soda, maybe not an overnighter though, just an hour or so.[/quote]

It usually comes in pellet form so make sure you add water to the pellets, not pellets to the water or it'll make the pellets shatter and fly off like little bullets!
It also gets very hot so use cold water and a ceramic or glass container to mix it up in (not metal or plastic).

Couple of other things spring to mind :

1) As always, do a trial on something that doesn't matter.
2) Keep it off your fingers (I sed a clothes peg to grab hold of the ring and rinsed it off using that)
3) To be totally sure the reaction has stopped, after a rinse dunk it in vinegar and rinse it again (Caustic Soda is alkaline and the acid in the vinegar neutralises it).

Oh - and don't be tempted to sniff it - it'll burn like crazy!

Edited by icastle

[quote name='icastle' post='1021694' date='Nov 12 2010, 05:07 PM']It usually comes in pellet form so make sure you add water to the pellets, not pellets to the water or it'll make the pellets shatter and fly off like little bullets!
It also gets very hot so use cold water and a ceramic or glass container to mix it up in (not metal or plastic).

Couple of other things spring to mind :

1) As always, do a trial on something that doesn't matter.
2) Keep it off your fingers (I sed a clothes peg to grab hold of the ring and rinsed it off using that)
3) To be totally sure the reaction has stopped, after a rinse dunk it in vinegar and rinse it again (Caustic Soda is alkaline and the acid in the vinegar neutralises it).

Oh - and don't be tempted to sniff it - it'll burn like crazy![/quote]

Be very cautious using caustic soda, it is very nasty stuff, and I'd really recommend using a dilute solution to start with - you can always up the concentration subsequently if it does nothing, but concentrated it'll burn through things FAST. Including your clothes, skin and eyes. It can really spit, so I'd also say use goggles!