Why become a member? ×

Like the Freemasons

skej21

I was thinking about this the other day and wondered what other people would think.

Freemasons are a fraternal orgainsation and have secret handshakes etc which allows each member to recognise another and in some situations, offer sort of perk/advantage for those involved.
Whether this is true or myth, it's a bloody good idea IMO.

Here's the important bit. Why don't we have a "bass players" version?
We already offer some advantages in the "for sale" section when we know that we're selling/buying to a fellow bass chatter who can be trusted, for example.
However, imagine this.

You spend a lot of time at work, and on the whole it's ok but the other people you work with lack any passion for music (or worse, they're a guitarist)

Imagine now, that you knowingly employ a fellow bass player (thanks to the complex system of handshakes etc) and now you get paid for having lengthy discussion about GORGEOUS basses, your inability to control your GAS and whether you should be a reading bassist or not :)

Alone, such an alliance cannot be created but together we could make the world a better place (even if it's just for bassists!)

There is a downside to Freemason type organisations though where people expect special favours at the expense of people who have worked harder or for membership to somehow excuse bad behaviour. I guess with anything there are always a few who spoil it for the others?!

I would hope Bass players just speak to each other at gigs and I for one always mention the site. I should wear my Basschat top more for that icing on the cake approach :)

There's a thing like that for drummers in America,where they encourage members to hire people who also play drums.
I'm not sure if it's a good idea.....if I want a plumber,I don't care if he plays or not,as long as he can fix a leak.

[quote name='skej21' post='1014424' date='Nov 6 2010, 04:12 PM']Freemasons are a fraternal orgainsation and have secret handshakes etc ... Whether this is true or myth, it's a bloody good idea IMO.[/quote]
It's true. I'm not a Mason but years ago I found out how to do the 'I'm a really [i]very [/i]top bloke' handshake and had lots of fun with it. :)

As for the 'do another bassist a favour' thing? Nice idea, but wide open to litigation from unsuccessful candidates.

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='1014819' date='Nov 6 2010, 10:35 PM']It's true. I'm not a Mason but years ago [b][color="#FF0000"][color="#0000FF"]I found out how to do the 'I'm a really [i]very [/i]top bloke' handshake[/color] [/color][/b][i][/i]and had lots of fun with it. :)

As for the 'do another bassist a favour' thing? Nice idea, but wide open to litigation from unsuccessful candidates.[/quote]

Aw C'mon, dont keepit to yourself..... :) :lol:

Edited by Slipperydick

Ive thought before that having certain items of clothing you could notice a bc member by would be cool. i for one would love to be at a gig seeing a guy wearing an item of clothing (say a pendant) indicating they were a bc member. id feel very comfortable approaching the guy and introducing myself.

Im not talking upto the level of favours and such, but instant recognition would be cool.

well looks like im the first to say that im a member of both brotherhoods then.

Its funny though using this comparison. As I honestly feel the same kind of co-operation and helpfulness on here that I expect and have found from the brethren in any lodge I visit.

That really is a huge compliment to this website and all members who subscribe to its rules and regulations and just the good folk in general.

[quote name='charic' post='1014869' date='Nov 6 2010, 11:18 PM']ive always been fascinated by the freemasons, its a great idea and concept and obviously works for its members (or they wouldnt bother being members) much like here its a gathering of people with a similar mindset as far as im concerned :)[/quote]

So what happens if - for example - you get stiched up for a lot of money and go to your solicititor, who gives you advice which dont quite ring true, and you find out a few years later that the person who stiched you up and the solicitor are from the same lodge ?

After all, the solicitor aint gonna declare the conflict of interest and tell you, now is he ??

Edited by Slipperydick

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='1014819' date='Nov 6 2010, 10:35 PM']It's true. I'm not a Mason but years ago I found out how to do the 'I'm a really [i]very [/i]top bloke' handshake and had lots of fun with it. :)[/quote]

I know quite a few masons and they always tell me that even if you know the handshake, it wouldn't get you anywhere because it's just the first step in a series of rituals to show that you are in fact a member.

This might not be true, as I'm also not a Mason. Maybe munkonthehill could clear it up for us? :)

Edited by skej21

[quote name='munkonthehill' post='1014859' date='Nov 6 2010, 11:09 PM']well looks like im the first to say that im a member of both brotherhoods then.

Its funny though using this comparison. As I honestly feel the same kind of co-operation and helpfulness on here that I expect and have found from the brethren in any lodge I visit.

That really is a huge compliment to this website and all members who subscribe to its rules and regulations and just the good folk in general.[/quote]

+1 to the above.

[quote name='skej21' post='1015444' date='Nov 7 2010, 05:15 PM']I know quite a few masons and they always tell me that even if you know the handshake, it wouldn't get you anywhere because it's just the first step in a series of rituals to show that you are in fact a member.

This might not be true, as I'm also not a Mason. Maybe munkonthehill could clear it up for us? :)[/quote]

yip the handshake is there, but there aint no process or ritual. Certain words, actions and phrases would direct you to a fellow brother.

So yeah your pal is 100% correct on this one.

Edited by munkonthehill

[quote name='munkonthehill' post='1015462' date='Nov 7 2010, 05:37 PM']yip the handshake is there, but there aint no process or ritual. Certain words, actions and phrases would direct you to a fellow brother.[/quote]

Maybe ritual was the wrong word. What I meant was, you need to signify you are a fellow brother in more ways than JUST the handshake.

Which means the learning the handshake alone would be pretty useless, because you would fail to respond correctly to the additional elements, such as the questions and phrases?

Edited by skej21

[quote name='skej21' post='1015463' date='Nov 7 2010, 05:42 PM']Maybe ritual was the wrong word. What I meant was, you need to signify you are a fellow brother in more ways than JUST the handshake.

Which means the learning the handshake alone would be pretty useless, because you would fail to respond correctly to the additional elements, such as the questions and phrases?[/quote]

bang on matey.

I've known a few freemasons in my time, firemen, policemen, salesmen. I was even invited to join a worshipful company of city somethings once upon a time, but politely declined.

I can't quite put my finger on it but there's something a little bit creepy about 'secret' organisations. Plus, in my experience anyway, they would seem to be populated by people who seem to need the status of belonging to something as an antidote to their lack of individuality or accomplishment. But I'd hope that wasn't always the case.

[quote name='flyfisher' post='1015491' date='Nov 7 2010, 06:19 PM']I've known a few freemasons in my time, firemen, policemen, salesmen. I was even invited to join a worshipful company of city somethings once upon a time, but politely declined.

I can't quite put my finger on it but there's something a little bit creepy about 'secret' organisations. Plus, in my experience anyway, they would seem to be populated by people who seem to need the status of belonging to something as an antidote to their lack of individuality or accomplishment. But I'd hope that wasn't always the case.[/quote]

I don't think the Freemasons is really that much of a "secret"... There may be "secretive" bits that go on behind closed doors, but that happens with loads of things.

I imagine it's like being in a band. You have a few fellow band members and most other people know who members of the band are and when they rehearse, they do it behind closed doors and out of public view, so they can keep new material to themselves and can work/communicate with each other without distractions and interference.

I don't see much wrong with that.

[quote name='flyfisher' post='1015491' date='Nov 7 2010, 06:19 PM']I've known a few freemasons in my time, firemen, policemen, salesmen. I was even invited to join a worshipful company of city somethings once upon a time, but politely declined.

I can't quite put my finger on it but there's something a little bit creepy about 'secret' organisations. Plus, in my experience anyway, they would seem to be populated by people who seem to need the status of belonging to something as an antidote to their lack of individuality or accomplishment. But I'd hope that wasn't always the case.[/quote]

thats definetly an outsiders point of view.

The masons are not a secret society, but a society with secrets. Nowt 'creepy' about a bunch of good guys enjoying nights out either. I certainely dont 'need' any status either. Maybe the guys you knew were just nobs

[quote name='flyfisher' post='1015600' date='Nov 7 2010, 07:42 PM']Yep, an outsider's view, by definition.

I appreciate the secrecy thing, hence my use of quotes. The guys I knew were definitely nobs, but I appreciate it's unfair, possibly, to put that down to their mason's membership.[/quote]

In all honesty Flyfisher, I went in with my eyes closed to what I was joining. However my brother-in-law (my drummer), his father and his uncle are all in it. These 3 fellas are all top of the pops in my book plus I had the chance to meet a few memebers at burns suppers and stuff. After these factors I thought to myself 'i want in' due to the warmth and friendship I seen at this distant point.

Since ive joined ive met loads of great guys and can honestly say its one of the better choices ive made in life,,,(there has been many many bad ones hahaha).

Plus I want to apologise if my previous reply was sharp.