Why become a member? ×

Janek Gwizdala

Pete Academy

The whole Janek being arrogant here was massively hyped up by certain members. Don't believe everything you read. I follow Janek quite closely and usually he is completely down to earth and humble about his achievements. Some people just love to bring others down.

I totally agree. I joined Basschat after the Janek business, so I never got involved in why he was so unpopular.

All I can say is he's an amazing musician - not just a bass player - very humble about his abilities, and is vastly clued up about the music business. He does everything himself, without the aid of a manager/agent.

I can't imagine why people turned such a great musician away from this forum. Please enlighten me.

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='1011334' date='Nov 3 2010, 08:53 PM']I can't imagine why people turned such a great musician away from this forum. Please enlighten me.[/quote]

I think the posts might still be available if you search, but it essentially boiled down to a number of people questioning a technical exercise he was espousing and Janek's seemingly aggressive attitude towards those who were criticising it as being essentially pointless due to it not having any real link with making music (iirc it was something OTT like playing fifteen billion notes a second with your fingers).

It ended in tears and a "I'm never going to post here again" post. He's posted here since though I think.

[quote name='Buzz' post='1011530' date='Nov 4 2010, 12:18 AM']I think the posts might still be available if you search, but it essentially boiled down to a number of people questioning a technical exercise he was espousing and Janek's seemingly aggressive attitude towards those who were criticising it as being essentially pointless due to it not having any real link with making music (iirc it was something OTT like playing fifteen billion notes a second with your fingers).

It ended in tears and a "I'm never going to post here again" post. He's posted here since though I think.[/quote]

I recall that Janek acknowledged that he had made a mathematical error in a magazine article regarding 'notes per minute'. People were getting after him for concentrating (in ONE article) on finger speed and dexterity.
Janek's response was that whilst technical ability is second in importance to the ability to make 'music', he wanted to be technically able to play anything he wanted - he didn't want to be constrained by poor technique. This makes perfect sense to me!

He probably did get defensive at some point because of a large number of idiots who just love attacking people for no reason - people who for the large part play in their bedroomand haven't achieved 10% of what he has.

Remember, he does free educational podcasts, clinics, magazine articles - he doesn't have to do this!

[quote name='Mike' post='1011635' date='Nov 4 2010, 08:11 AM']I recall that Janek acknowledged that he had made a mathematical error in a magazine article regarding 'notes per minute'. People were getting after him for concentrating (in ONE article) on finger speed and dexterity.
Janek's response was that whilst technical ability is second in importance to the ability to make 'music', he wanted to be technically able to play anything he wanted - he didn't want to be constrained by poor technique. This makes perfect sense to me!

He probably did get defensive at some point because of a large number of idiots who just love attacking people for no reason - people who for the large part play in their bedroomand haven't achieved 10% of what he has.

[b]Remember, he does free educational podcasts, clinics, magazine articles - he doesn't have to do this![/b][/quote]

Hah hah! It's unlikely you'd have ever heard about him if he didn't do these things, he doesn't do it because he loves you :)

I've got no opinion about him at all. I haven't heard his music, I just hear he's an incredible player.

I did think he got a bit aggressive in some of his posts, and while it's fine for us nobodies to do that occasionally, if you are a musician of his status, it can be wise to calm down a bit with that sort of thing, even with the mindless baiting by a certain notorious ex BC member.

Anyway, looks like you all enjoyed his demo/clinic, so that's all good.

Edited by silddx

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='1011674' date='Nov 4 2010, 08:53 AM']I've just read through some of the original post with Janek getting slated. I honestly don't think he deserved it.[/quote]
He does come over rather differently in real life than in print. There's something in the way he writes that makes him seem rather egocentric, but he doesn't seem at all like that in real life - more like someone who knows he has accomplished things and is proud of them but not boastful about them.

[quote name='silddx' post='1011704' date='Nov 4 2010, 09:27 AM']Hah hah! It's unlikely you'd have ever heard about him if he didn't do these things, he doesn't do it because he loves you :)[/quote]

I heard about him through other channels than his educational output. He does not get paid for making and releasing free podcasts that share his tips on playing and improvising which he has worked very hard to perfect - if anything he's sharing his secrets which have got him to where he is today.

I'm not under the illusion that he does it because he loves his fans - but I think he's giving something back and helping share the knowledge - something he is absolutely not under any obligation to do. So I thank him for that.

[quote name='tauzero' post='1011736' date='Nov 4 2010, 09:53 AM']He does come over rather differently in real life than in print. There's something in the way he writes that makes him seem rather egocentric, but he doesn't seem at all like that in real life - more like someone who knows he has accomplished things and is proud of them but not boastful about them.[/quote]

I know this is a positive post, but if you look at his writings in BGM, I struggle to find any egocentricity in there - if anything he's a very humble guy. He's not above MDing pop acts and has said that he would rather hear a one note groove then mindless soloing - as you say, I'm sure he is proud of what he's achieved (rightly so) and I think he has a burning ambition to go onto do greater things - but with him it's always about the music first.

I don't love everything he does - but a lot of it really works for me.

[quote name='Mike' post='1011870' date='Nov 4 2010, 11:50 AM']I heard about him through other channels than his educational output. He does not get paid for making and releasing free podcasts that share his tips on playing and improvising which he has worked very hard to perfect - if anything he's sharing his secrets which have got him to where he is today.

I'm not under the illusion that he does it because he loves his fans - but I think he's giving something back and helping share the knowledge - something he is absolutely not under any obligation to do. So I thank him for that.[/quote]
It's mainly for publicity and promotion. He does have a career to maintain you know, he's not doing it like he's Mother Teresa.

I must say, it's very odd you think he does it to "Give something back", like by making music he's not doing that already.

Also, you don't get to the level he is at and be happy playing a one note groove. He needs to solo. I really should have a listen to him at some point, but that Jeff Berlin album has really messed my mind up and I never want to hear jazz solo bass again, ever.

[quote name='Mike' post='1011876' date='Nov 4 2010, 11:52 AM']has said that he would rather hear a one note groove then mindless soloing[/quote]

They all say that. What happens when the interviewer goes home? :)

(I know the bassline on that VV Brown single is very simple but please don't link to it, I cannot stand to hear that bloody awful song again.)

[quote name='silddx' post='1011889' date='Nov 4 2010, 12:03 PM']Also, you don't get to the level he is at and be happy playing a one note groove. He needs to solo.[/quote]

No he doesn't. He's just been touring as MD for VV Brown for over a year,and doesn't solo at all in that gig. Also,his first solo album only had one or two bass solos on it.

[quote name='silddx' post='1011889' date='Nov 4 2010, 12:03 PM']It's mainly for publicity and promotion. He does have a career to maintain you know, he's not doing it like he's Mother Teresa.

I must say, it's very odd you think he does it to "Give something back", like by making music he's not doing that already.

Also, you don't get to the level he is at and be happy playing a one note groove. He needs to solo. I really should have a listen to him at some point, but that Jeff Berlin album has really messed my mind up and I never want to hear jazz solo bass again, ever.[/quote]

Why would he need to promote himself to us? He's already got his name with the right people all over the world and thats how he gets the well paid pop tours and thats his sorce (forgotton how to spell) of income.I think he does it for a few reasons but i doubt promotion is one

[quote name='Buzz' post='1011530' date='Nov 4 2010, 02:18 AM']I think the posts might still be available if you search, but it essentially boiled down to a number of people questioning a technical exercise he was espousing and Janek's seemingly aggressive attitude towards those who were criticising it as being essentially pointless due to it not having any real link with making music (iirc it was something OTT like playing fifteen billion notes a second with your fingers).

It ended in tears and a "I'm never going to post here again" post. He's posted here since though I think.[/quote]

Well, I'm repeating myself once again, BUT, following that 'accident' with Janek, Basschat got some very negative image between "TalkBass'ers", and by that I mean thousands of people, who don't long on to this forum just because of that stupid accident.

I respect Janek too much to believe that bullsh1t some w***ers were spilling on him, and I've probably asked him to come back here a few times by now, but we have what we have.. Or should I say - we don't have - a major player with major chops and knowledge who could probably play us all under the table.. and share some brilliant thoughts on music and it's bussiness..

By the way, I've just seen Janek's tweet:

"need a speaker cabinet for a gig in Kingston on Sunday....! anyone in the area that might have something i could borrow....?!?!?! HELP! about 10 hours ago via web "

Maybe anyone could help him? If so, give him a tweet/email/PM in Talkbass..

Faith

[quote name='silddx' post='1011889' date='Nov 4 2010, 12:03 PM']It's mainly for publicity and promotion. He does have a career to maintain you know, he's not doing it like he's Mother Teresa. I must say, it's very odd you think he does it to "Give something back", like by making music he's not doing that already.[/quote]

Well, we pay for his music so it's not altruistic. He doesn't get paid for the podcasts. And it's not reaching out to the common man to promote himself - it's probably only downloaded by bassists and jazzers, who have possibly already bought his music.

[quote name='silddx' post='1011889' date='Nov 4 2010, 12:03 PM']Also, you don't get to the level he is at and be happy playing a one note groove. He needs to solo.[/quote]

He does solo, and beautifully. I was saying that as he's a musician, the music comes first - on a pop gig, there are very few bass solos! People want to hear a groove, not something whacky and jazzy.

[quote name='silddx' post='1011889' date='Nov 4 2010, 12:03 PM']I really should have a listen to him at some point, but that Jeff Berlin album has really messed my mind up and I never want to hear jazz solo bass again, ever.[/quote]

Agreed, Berlin leaves me utterly cold. I hope that's not your only exposure to jazz bass soloing! Try John Patitucci, Scott La Faro or Janek! You'll hear fewer notes, but much nicer choices!

Edited by Mike

I always think it's best to reserve one's own view of someone like Janek and his music for a time when you can be sure that you're observations are accurate, mostly because it's so easy to be wrong on the web.
I think his achievements are utterly admirable and I'm genuinely pleased for the guy that the very apparent, incredibly hard work he has put in is bringing him success and happiness.
I'm sure that he's a nice guy having had a few conversations with him and being a facebook friend, as well as having tons of colleagues in common.

[quote name='blackmn90' post='1011902' date='Nov 4 2010, 12:10 PM']Why would he need to promote himself to us? He's already got his name with the right people all over the world and thats how he gets the well paid pop tours and thats his sorce (forgotton how to spell) of income.I think he does it for a few reasons but i doubt promotion is one[/quote]
:)