Why become a member? ×

Calling all Aguilar cab users

Nickytwister

Hi guys and girls,
I've copied this to 'amps for sale' too, since people selling Aggy cabs might well have a valid opinion too.
Nick Owen here - I've never really said hello. I used to work in the Wapping Bass Centre back in the day and I mostly play for a living nowadays although I'm still embroiled in the MI industry part-time.
I need a few opinions please; I've had pretty much all the best known gear over the years; Trace SMX, Hartke, SWR, Boogie, Eden and for the last 15 years have been well into my Ashdown. I still get it supplied for tours with an 810 but for my own band I've most recently been using an Aguilar AG500 with a Bag End S-15B and an Ashdown 4x8, both reconed with Neo drivers.
The thing is, it's time to upgrade my cabs and I'd like to go Aguilar.
I'm quite into compact, I do like a 15", I'm not a massive fan of tweeters but I'm open to suggestions. It's gotta be Chocolate Thunder!!
I was thinking DB410, a 212 or 112&112NT or even just getting a single 15.
I used to love my old Henry 8x8", I thought the old Hartke 410XLs we're killer too. My Bag End's beautifully voiced but it's a shade quiet.
I don't mind a single cab; it's just gotta be clean and round sounding.
Anyone got a strong feeling about the Aggys?
Thanks in advance.
Nick

Hi Nick, if you were working at the Bass Centre in 1998 then you probably sold me bass gear that I got from my record deal advance. Hartke was the big thing back then and I walked away with a Stingray and nice big 4x10, 1x15 and 700watt rig. Weighed a bloody ton but sounded great. How things have changed these days in terms of amps and cabs.

Anyway, the Aggy stuff rocks. I have two GS112's and they are amazing. Old Horse Murphy on here got me into them and I am blown away. I run mine with a Genz Benz Shuttle 6 and the tone is so clean and pure. I find this setup is really uncloured so the natural tone of the bass does the talking. Its also the first rig that I have been truely happy with a Stringray tone. I have no niggles or doubts about my tone. Every other amp or cab I have owned has always sounded sh*t at some venue or stage but the Aggy's have always sounded amazing. Not that expensive either which is great.

They get a massive vote from me and I can't see me changing them in the future at any stage.

I think they make great cabs...and am a fan of the GS 12's...but would never recommend one without a horn, myself.

I'd give Bass Merchant a call or the Gallery and see what they have in stock for a demo.
If it wasn't for the fact that the single 12's are such an easy carry, I'd have a 2x12 cab for all my needs...and it would probably be the DB2x12
The 2 GS112's easily outrun my SWR SM400 and the sound is very full with a scooped mid bias..but that is why you need to hear them if you don't want a horn.
In view of the Choc-thunder thing...and the non-use of a horn, maybe the DB series would suit better anyway.

Agree on a pr of 1x12's. No point in a single whatsoever other than a quiet jazz gig, IME.

Totally transform it, IMV.
If someone wanted just the one cab..I'd be inclined to say..apart from the jazzer..look elsewhere, that is how much the difference is, IMO.

Guys, really appreciate all your comments here.
A good mate of mine runs a DB751 with an 8x10" (a rig which I used this Summer in Las Vegas - killer!) or 4x12" for his tour rig but for his smaller stuff he rocks an AG500, 112&112NT. Another mate goes DB751 with a 4x10" & 1x15" on the road but an AG500 and 1x15" at home.
I do love the idea of a pair of 12"s.
You've all been a great help.
Nick x

[quote name='Nickytwister' post='991316' date='Oct 17 2010, 05:05 PM']Linus - yep, just looked at your pic on myspace (not the profile one here, obviously) and I seem to remember you!
Nice one man.
N[/quote]

Nice one, I recognised you also. If you are anywhere near Surrey, you are welcome to have a play of my Aggy setup. Old Horse Murphy also has an Aggy setup with a Mark Bass head.

[quote name='Nickytwister' post='991086' date='Oct 17 2010, 01:40 PM']Hi guys and girls,
I've copied this to 'amps for sale' too, since people selling Aggy cabs might well have a valid opinion too.
Nick Owen here - I've never really said hello. I used to work in the Wapping Bass Centre back in the day and I mostly play for a living nowadays although I'm still embroiled in the MI industry part-time.
I need a few opinions please; I've had pretty much all the best known gear over the years; Trace SMX, Hartke, SWR, Boogie, Eden and for the last 15 years have been well into my Ashdown. I still get it supplied for tours with an 810 but for my own band I've most recently been using an Aguilar AG500 with a Bag End S-15B and an Ashdown 4x8, both reconed with Neo drivers.
The thing is, it's time to upgrade my cabs and I'd like to go Aguilar.
I'm quite into compact, I do like a 15", I'm not a massive fan of tweeters but I'm open to suggestions. It's gotta be Chocolate Thunder!!
I was thinking DB410, a 212 or 112&112NT or even just getting a single 15.
I used to love my old Henry 8x8", I thought the old Hartke 410XLs we're killer too. My Bag End's beautifully voiced but it's a shade quiet.
I don't mind a single cab; it's just gotta be clean and round sounding.
Anyone got a strong feeling about the Aggys?
Thanks in advance.
Nick[/quote]

Well 'ello Nick!

Dan 'ere, We've met a cuppla times. I'm good friends with Deano. (Although I must admit I haven't dropped him a line for a while! bad me!!) - I play the 7 string Shuker and we had a good natter about cabs in the past, down at The Bass Centre over at the new(er) place.

Anyway, good to see you hear!

Dan

[quote name='Nickytwister' post='991422' date='Oct 17 2010, 06:39 PM']Hi Dan,
I remember mate! Hope all's well with you?
N[/quote]

Hey Nick, yes indeed, very well thank you! To join in th econversation - I owned a GS112 for a while and agree, it's a very capable cab, that's for sure! The MarkBass LM2/3 + 2xGS112's is a really stonking rig that I have fond memories of hearing at one of the first BassChat Bashs. (Homer', it was your rig!! You da man!!)

As a Hartke'r I'm eyeing up the Hydrive 112 as a quiet rehearsal / jamming cab.

• 2 months later...

[quote name='Nickytwister' post='1075179' date='Jan 2 2011, 12:13 PM']Hey guys,
Just to let y'all know, last week I picked up a pair of used Chocolate Brown DB112s with covers from a good mate; I'm very pleased with them already!
Thanks for all your help and advice.
Happy New Year!
Nick x[/quote]

Excellent choice (from a DB12 user :) ), did you get one of the cabs with horn or are they both sans horn? Oh and if they aren't to your taste give me a shout as I like the look of the choccie ones... a tart, Moi! :)

[quote name='Nickytwister' post='1075179' date='Jan 2 2011, 12:13 PM']Hey guys,
Just to let y'all know, last week I picked up a pair of used Chocolate Brown DB112s with covers from a good mate; I'm very pleased with them already!
Thanks for all your help and advice.
Happy New Year!
Nick x[/quote]

Great news that you joined the Aggy clan and all the advice proved to be useful. Truly brilliant cabs and look beautiful. Needless to say, but enjoy 'em!

Also, apologies for the terrible play on words, but Happy New GEAR :)

Edited by skej21

[quote name='Nickytwister' post='1075242' date='Jan 2 2011, 01:03 PM']John,
they're both horned models - I'm not really a tweeter fan but a little bit's perfect. I won't be selling them though!
Cheers Skej![/quote]

I wouldn't sell mine. The beauty with the GS112 is that you can just turn the tweeter off on one cab and you're sorted. Great gear, although I'm now tempted to get the new SL112 :S

[quote name='dmccombe7' post='1075245' date='Jan 2 2011, 01:05 PM']I'm also interested in the Aguilar 112's.

What's the main difference between the GS & DB cabs.

How do they sound with Ampeg SVT3PRO ?

Cheers
Dave[/quote]

Just opened another thread on a very similar topic !

[quote name='Nickytwister' post='1075242' date='Jan 2 2011, 01:03 PM']John,
they're both horned models - I'm not really a tweeter fan but a little bit's perfect. I won't be selling them though!
Cheers Skej![/quote]

Mine is one tweeter one sans and I only have the tweeter on 50%, then again even on full you never get too much sizzle.

I used to use the AG500 with a DB112/DB112NT setup, but found it wasn't loud enough for my band (I didn't have PA support and my guitarist, well, is a guitarist...) so I've stepped it up to a DB750 and 2 8ohm DB212's. I mainly only need one cab, but for the bigger gigs I take both. I've never been happier with my sound, and a single 8ohm 212 will easily put out enough watts for most gigs. Your mileage may vary depending on the size of the venues you're playing, but if you need to go any louder than that, you'll most likely have PA support anyway so...It's up to you! But for my money, you can't go wrong with a couple of 2x12's - Gives you the option of splitting if you need to, rather than having something like an 8x10.

Hope that helps!

PS. My Dad used to go to the Bass Centre when it was in Wapping so you probably served him a few times!

[quote name='Higgie' post='1075295' date='Jan 2 2011, 01:48 PM']I used to use the AG500 with a DB112/DB112NT setup, but found it wasn't loud enough for my band (I didn't have PA support and my guitarist, well, is a guitarist...) so I've stepped it up to a DB750 and 2 8ohm DB212's. I mainly only need one cab, but for the bigger gigs I take both. I've never been happier with my sound, and a single 8ohm 212 will easily put out enough watts for most gigs. Your mileage may vary depending on the size of the venues you're playing, but if you need to go any louder than that, you'll most likely have PA support anyway so...It's up to you! But for my money, you can't go wrong with a couple of 2x12's - Gives you the option of splitting if you need to, rather than having something like an 8x10.

Hope that helps!

PS. My Dad used to go to the Bass Centre when it was in Wapping so you probably served him a few times![/quote]

What size venues do you play without PA support?

Your 8ohm 212 doesn't put out any watts and I'm confident that a pair of DB12's would outperform a single DB2x12... sounds like GAS justification to me! :)