Why become a member? ×

First big audition

Master blaster

Over the last couple of weeks i posted a gumtree add saying that im looking for a band. I got quite a few replies, which were quite unexpected. I didnt think adverts on the net worked. Anyway i got a couple of replies for blues bands and a pop band but i also got a message from a pro drummer whos putting together a pro function band.

Now im not sure what to do, i have to learn 3 songs, You've got the love by florence and the machine, Use Somebody by kings of leon and Superstition by stevie. Now these songs arnt really complex or anything but i dont know how i should play, should i try and impress with fancy fills and what not or should i just stick to the tracks and play simply and steady?

Cheers
James

Just get the notes sorted and then adapt them to how the band plays the songs.
Unless everyone nails the parts..which they may or may not do, I don't put much time into the exact line, I am more about moving it around to work.

Be early, make notes..and don't worry about getting it wrong the first time round... make the adjustments to get it right the next time. That is what rehearsals are for. They have only given you 3 songs, but how long are you there for..
If it is 30mins..then they expect a fast turn-round from you..if they have booked for 3 hours, they don't expect too much first time round.
Of course, you can't take an age on simple songs but you just have to pass this first stage as someone they can work with...on all levels, personal, musical, logistically etc ..

I wouldn't be trying to over play..if they know what they are doing, they'll know whether you can play or not..and to their tastes/requirements.
If they don't, you may not want to join them, anyway.

ok cool. awesome advice. I was planning for superstition to play similar to the synth on the recording by playing on the beat. I don't think i have ever learnt a song note for note so hopefully they wont be looking for someone that does learn songs 100%. Im really looking forward to it though, i haven't played with people for like 5 weeks so im dying to get the gig.

All of the above ... BUT just be yourself.

Play the songs the way you feel comfortable playing them. If you're a naturally flashy player with loads of frills and fills, then there's no point pretending that you're a root + 5th kind of guy. Obviously, the opposite also applies.

By far the most important thing is to find yourself playing with people you get on with, and 'fit' with musically. Just getting the gig isn't enough.

Good luck.

[quote name='Master blaster' post='990699' date='Oct 16 2010, 10:19 PM']ok cool. awesome advice. I was planning for superstition to play similar to the synth on the recording by playing on the beat. I don't think i have ever learnt a song note for note so hopefully they wont be looking for someone that does learn songs 100%. Im really looking forward to it though, i haven't played with people for like 5 weeks so im dying to get the gig.[/quote]

There is a Superstition thread here...have a listen to the vids posted.
Either play pretty straights 4's with a tail in a 4 bar sequence..as it should be played, IMV... or play the Clav riff which can be pretty naff and overkill.
You might impress them by asking which they prefer.. see, adaptable and conversant with the tune, done your homework etc,
or if not, take the straight 4 route as less is more.
Talk THEM through it...

No idea what they mean by a Pro function unit... but you should have a better idea once you hear them. There is so much license here, IME.

Few things that I would do/did for my last audition (which I got)

Be early/on time
Make sure you`ve learnt the songs
When learning them, experiment with a few extra fills, so that when you play them with the band, go through them as they are on the tracks, but you can ask if they want any extra fills - shows willingness to adapt, and it shows you`ve prepared well
Bring all your gear - ie if you use a 2x10 & 1x15 take them both, not just one of them, you`ll sound more like "you" so play better
If you`re happy doing backing vocals, let them know
Be up front about what you want from the band, and what you`re prepared to bring to the band - transport/gear/experience etc
Make sure that the drummer is in eye-shot - then you`ll see as well as hear what he/she is doing

Good luck, hope you get the gig

All the above.... also find out what key the band does the songs in. They may not be the same as the record. That happened to me once. Learned the recorded version, turned up and found they played the stuff a tone down to accommodate the singer's lack of vocal range.

Some great advice above! I would echo most of that - especially the comments about knowing which keys they play in and which versions of the songs they play. Be straight with them. There are a number of potential reasons why they may have chosen straightforward songs, so don't be afraid to ask!

Remember also that an audition is a two-way thing. Yes, it's about them checking you out, but it's also about you getting a feel for them. Anyone can [i]sound[/i] professional by saying the right things!

[b]This[/b]
[quote name='Happy Jack' post='990701' date='Oct 16 2010, 10:20 PM']All of the above ... BUT just be yourself.[/quote]

As for Superstition, when my band plays it I play a very basic root note groove in the SRV style for the main riff and then double the riff for the "13th month old baby" parts. Add to that the occasional "Another One Bites The Dust" riff and I'm good to go. That's the way I play it because it's me, everyone's different and unless you're in a painstakingly accurate tribute band you should always try and make it your own. My £0.02.

If the guy running the audition is a drummer, he'll want to see if he can play with you and see whether you can lock together quickly/tightly.

The best way to win him over is if you play something simple with a solid groove. If he starts air drumming or playing on his knees/chairs/desk etc, you'll probably get the gig!

• 2 weeks later...

So i did my audition. I was early and accidently walked in to them with another bassist. Oops. Anyway to cut a long story short, i got in!!! Im dead chuffed. Ive got a few songs to learn now. Like Cee Lo Greens new song f*ck you and car wash by rose royce. Also theres a britney spears one :s. Ive also got to learn 'The way you make me feel' by mj, but listening to the recording i cant seem to single out what the basslines doing. Any ideas??

Well done..

From memory that MJ track is a synth line shuffle feel and the drummer will need to be spot on to deal with it.
If he gets it right you have a chance with it, if he doesn't the track wont work anyway.

If you have keys with a sequence...get him to program the song up for that..and then copy the feel for both bass and drums.
It isn't going to be easy to make it work, IMO..but at least you don't have to cope with many notes as well.