Why become a member? ×

Fretless Basses?

BASainty

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='984840' date='Oct 11 2010, 08:17 PM']How much do you want to spend?

What kind of music do you want to play?[/quote]

Its just for a play about at home not really looking for anything serious and im not looking to spend a massive amount.

[quote name='Chris2112' post='984847' date='Oct 11 2010, 08:21 PM']I happen to know that a 5 string Alembic Epic fretless has just come up for sale for £600 on the boards...! :lol:[/quote]
My first fretless was a cheap (75 notes) chipboard that I defretted, filled, sanded and varnished. Cheap and cheerful and also 'disposable' if I didn't take to it. This might not be for everyone, but it worked for me. If Jesus played bass, then it would be fretless. :)

[quote name='woodster' post='985317' date='Oct 12 2010, 08:48 AM']A few folk on here (including me) have good things to say about the Squier VM Jazz fretless. A great bass for 250 sheets.....[/quote]

Yea iv had a look at that I have been tempted by that, is it as good as the fretted VM Jazzes?

[quote name='Jerry_B' post='985413' date='Oct 12 2010, 09:59 AM']Do you want a lined or unlined fretless? Someone on here has a MIJ unlined fretless Jazz for sale, which I'd recommend (I have a slightly younger version of what's for sale).[/quote]

I would prefer unlined since it looks cooler but im happy either way lol.

We have a few Stagg basses at school that the students use. They are "OK"...

Maybe it's just me, but I find it harder to play fretless than fretted. But I had played for about 10 years before I ever tried fretless, so that might have something to do with it! My experience is that you notice the difference between a cheap and a mid-range guitar far more with a fretless than you do with a fretted. Or perhaps I've just been unlucky in that respect?

£139 is a VERY low price for a brand-new bass guitar. I would certainly want to try one before buying, as it is still a lot of money to waste!

[quote name='Conan' post='985813' date='Oct 12 2010, 03:17 PM']Maybe it's just me, but I find it harder to play fretless than fretted. But I had played for about 10 years before I ever tried fretless, so that might have something to do with it![/quote]
It's just different, IME/IMO, and you need to use both hands in a slightly different way to control or accentuate the mwaah. I play fretted so rarely now that I actually find it more difficult than fretless (although I do appreciate the way everything's automatically in tune :) ). It's just a question of what you're used to.

[quote name='Conan' post='985813' date='Oct 12 2010, 03:17 PM']My experience is that you notice the difference between a cheap and a mid-range guitar far more with a fretless than you do with a fretted.[/quote]
I would tend to agree with this, actually. Frets can hide a multitude of sins on a cheap fingerboard. That said, the Squier VMJ fretless I had for a while was really rather nice and only £200 when I got it new. I suppose that's the benefit of a synthetic board.

Edited by BottomEndian

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='985821' date='Oct 12 2010, 03:29 PM']It's just different, IME/IMO, and you need to use both hands in a slightly different way to control or accentuate the mwaah. I play fretted so rarely now that I actually find it more difficult than fretless (although I do appreciate the way everything's automatically in tune :) ). It's just a question of what you're used to.[/quote]

Indeed, once you've got the left hand work down a fretless it's fairly simple. You just need to get used to playing "on the fret" as opposed to just behind it, if you're thinking in fretted bass terms.

I don't think you can go wrong with a Squire fretless as a starter or even a back up. Can't really argue with whats been said but for me the top of the range would be a Wal Fretless but personally the best fretless I have played was a Pedulla Pentabuzz.

Depends what sound your after most players would say I just want that mmwwhhaaa sound. ;-)

I started with a Squire VMJ fretless and it was excellent. I have since moved up to a Fender CIJ 62RI fretless Jazz which is wonderful. I do plan on eventually moving up to a Stringray Fretless. I am currently recording an album which is mostly fretless and I just love it. I find playing fretted quite hard and clumsy now.

My Squire VMJ fretless will be up for sale very soon if you are interested.

[quote name='Chris2112' post='985994' date='Oct 12 2010, 06:00 PM']I used to have a Squier VMJ fretless and whilst it was well put together I really longed for it to have a thicker sound with more midrange. It came off sounding a bit thin and clangy, but it was still very useable.[/quote]

I tend to agree with this although recorded it sounds fantastic. I don't think there is a better bass if you are starting out on fretless and want to explore the whole world of playing fretless bass. Mine has served me beautifully but now its time to upgrade.

I play a fretless german Corvette as my daily hack and it's ace. First fretless, had it a good few years now and it's had it's fair share of useage. I'm another one who plays fretted so little I find fretless miles easier and it's just second nature to me! I find lined fretlesses confusing though, it's got to be unlined with an ebony board.

Really, my main recommendations are it's got the be solid, with an ebony, unlined fretboard. Depending on the sound you want, there's the obvious difference between active and passive. Mine's passive and has a really dark and smooth sound... it's a bit like a red wine bass. Played an active Shuker this weekend, that was a bit more like a white wine bass...if you catch my drift :)

[quote name='4StringFortress' post='984835' date='Oct 11 2010, 08:12 PM']I'm have been looking at some fretless basses but I don't really know much about them.
Could someone give me advice on what makes and models to be looking at?[/quote]

First thing I'd do is look at the fretless versions of the basses you currently own. Having fretless and fretted version of the same model makes changing from one bass to another a much more neutral playing experience. For years I used BB2000 and BB2000F basses, and these days I'm looking for a fretted BB5000 to use alongside a BB5000F.