Why become a member? ×

Gallien Krueger opinions

Buzzy

Anyone got any opinions or experience of Gallien Kruger, a mate has recommended GK and I wondered if any Basschatters had any thoughts.
I need something that can be heard over two guitarists and keys, at the moment I'm using an Ashdown Mag210 sometimes with a 1x15 extension cab but i've had them for seven years and I'm having a bit of a GAS attack for some nice new gear. :)

My thoughts are that it is average and uninspiring kit if my recent experience is anything to go by.

Over-elaborate EQ stage which produces not a lot, IMV. Reminded me exactly like PV gear with its plastic affected tone.
If the price was right, maybe it will do a job but the 15" combo I used was lacking in everything, really.
Pretty dissapointing experience all round, IMO.

I am thinking of going back to gk amps. The 1001rb has tonnes of headroom, very powerful easy to use eq with plenty of low end, and I like my lows. It produced some superb growl as well. Not really sure why I sold it now!!

They are supposed to have a signature sound which some describe as bright. I am not a fan of zingy toppy sounds and I didn't feel it was bright.

Recently tried out a fusion 550 and that was ace. Very warm sounding.

I run my GK MB2-500 through a variety of cabs - 4x10, 1x15 or a pair of 1x12s - always been happy with the versatility of the head. Had a three-way shoot-out with a Markbass LMIII, a Shuttle 3.0 and the GK - I'm sure you can guess which won! (IMO, obviously). Plenty of Ooomph, never felt I'd topped it out, especially pushing all 500w into a 4 Ohm cab. Handled my old 5-string without much difficulty, and both my current basses sound awesome through it in standard tuning.

Depends if you're into micro heads or not. Not tried the larger offerings like the 700RB or the 1001RB, so can't really comment. I've been happy with the range of tones and adjustability I get out of the EQ section on mine.

HTH, Ian

I played through a 700rb and 4x10 cab (I can't mind the name off hand, but it was the expensive artist line one). It gave out a really nice sound that is as good as any amp company, if you like the general sound. It adds a fair bit of colour to the sound, not very transparent in my opinion, but if you like it, then its great (kinda like the Trace Elliot preset).

That said, I found the front face of the amp to be a bit 'busy' with lots of knobs I neither really understood or knew how it worked, as the tweaking I did didn't seem to change the sound much. Mind you, run pretty much flat the amp sounded great. The way that GKs seem have a different idea of using Gain and master volume was also a lot different to most amps I've used. Add in the bi-amp capabilities and you have a really cool amp with a lot of features that I would never really use! I prefer a simpler tone layout myself as I'm not very tech-minded, but I have no doubts that if I had more time to study the controls etc, it would be a setup that I would be really happy with.

I currently use a 1001rb-II.

I love the power it has and the punch it kicks out, plus you can pick them up at a great price second hand. It has a great low end, but its a little bright for my taste. Im gonna be trying a different speaker soon though as the GK ones are pretty bright themselves, might suit me better then. Really wanna try a fusion 550 for a warmer sound.

I recently got to use GK rig as supplied back-line on a tour, I was really impressed with the sound, warm and punchy, very capable EQ section and setting the tone flat gave a good sound "out of the box".

Usually on tours I wind up with an Ampeg SVT rig, and I'd pick the GK any time. I enjoyed it so much it's got me toying with the idea of replacing my Eden.

As the owner of an 800R and 2 700RB II amps I can say that they are no more complicated to work than ordering a pizza over the phone - if you can't work it then you're in the wrong game. You just need to spend a few minutes checking out the manual like you would with any amp.

The front panel of the current series is split into sections. The main one is the 4 band active parametric EQ which is designed so you can;t get a bad sound out of it, may not be your sound with everything all the way up or down but I generally have everything set level and make small adjustments according to the room I am playing in.

It has a couple of voicing options similar to the old 800RB but instead of being on or off, you gave control over how much you add.

Boost is designed to give a slightly gritty overdriven valve effect and works very well

Over at the left hand side you have your DI out with a level control which is very uncommon, saves having to fight with the sound guy when he tells you you;re going too hot into the desk.

You also have the usual tuner input, effects send and return, passive/active switch etc.

On the back you have 2 speakon and 2 1/4" inch jacks, and your power connection.

Not any more difficult to work out than any other amp.

They can sound warm, bright but not harsh and do a lovely gritty sound. Very punchy and bags of power.

And don't pay too much attention to JTUK because if he/she doesn't have it or doesn't like it then its not worth anyone having it and he can't accept that there others who think differently - just check out the 2x15" thread to see what i mean

I'm endorsed by them, which probably sums up my opinions of them. I'm currently using a 700RB-II into 2 210RBH cabs and love it, as of Tuesday though I'll be recieving my 2001RB-II and one (of two) 410RBH cabs.

I love a nice fat tone for my bass, as Thodrik said, they're not transparent amps at all, but that's what I love about them. There's so much definition in them but they still sound so fat. Never had a bad word said about it by any sound guy (apart from once when one was commenting that the bassist's encore P didn't sound great through it, but I didn't let that spoil my opinion of it. :) )

There are a lot of controls, but they're not hard to use once you get used to it. I've pretty much always run mine flat with the odd tweak if it sounds a bit boomy or thin in certain rooms. If you can find one (they're not the most common amps) then give it a go! If you like it, then my current rig is for sale on these very forums. :lol:

[quote name='gilmour' post='983520' date='Oct 10 2010, 05:25 PM']I recently got to use GK rig as supplied back-line on a tour, I was really impressed with the sound, warm and punchy, very capable EQ section and setting the tone flat gave a good sound "out of the box".[/quote]
I've had a similar experience (but I normally use Ampeg SVT so I've stopped short of quoting that part of the OP!). It was the house rig at an Arts Centre we played at. The 4x10 cab was great. I'm happy with my set up but this was all perfectly serviceable

[quote name='Delberthot' post='983593' date='Oct 10 2010, 06:17 PM']As the owner of an 800R and 2 700RB II amps I can say that they are no more complicated to work than ordering a pizza over the phone - if you can't work it then you're in the wrong game. You just need to spend a few minutes checking out the manual like you would with any amp.[/quote]

Cheers for that, I'll bear that in mind if I come across another one as supplied backline somewhere. I didn't have access to the manual when I tried it, so it was a bit befuddled by the features. I'm also one of those that believes that if the amp should sound good when run 'flat' (or without anything boosted or cut), but if the amp does sound good flat, then it makes a lot of those extra features pretty redundant.

Ordering pizza over the phone is well within my capabilities, but seems comparatively complicated and not really worth the hassle since I already have pizza in the fridge that I like the taste of.

I've used GK stuff for years - 800RB, and also a 700RBII and am now using a 1001RBII.
All been great amps, 100% reliable. I usually run the 1001 with all the tones flat and it sounds brill. Occasionally add a touch
of bass or mids if the room demands, but thats not very often. As for them being bright, I've never noticed this with any of them.
My favourite maker of tranny amps without a doubt, and around 20lbs not that heavy either. I came to GK after years of Ampeg
usage and found them instinctive and usable. Dial in a bit of the boost and off you go!
Whats not to like?

400RB with Bag End 15s... I use the Boost up at 3 o'clock or so, set the volume at the front end and use the Master vol for my actual volume at gigs. I've heard it can save the op amp-chip-whatever at the front end... but it's a great amp. Sounds solid, and although you can alter the tone with eq I do find it has a signature to it. Still the 400RB is very capable and will easily hold its own in a live mix, if you have pretty efficient cabs.

I don't think it's heavy on 'Zing'; and this is subjective but I don't find the tone 'artifical' at all, but rather 'Old-School' tranny. Definitely a taking-care-of-business amp. GK is solid and consistent gear. The newer models, you'll get opinions on the tone being a little different. I tried a 1001RB, borrowed from a friend, and I think it's a fine amp. Had more headroom than I needed though, and the sound of the 1001 is said to be "less warm" than the 700 because of that. I'd have bought the 700RB after trying the 1001, but I ran into an old Trace Elliot SMX, and I love that stuff...

I got the 400RB afterward as back-up, and use it as often as the Trace now.

Edited by Count Bassie

[quote name='Delberthot' post='983593' date='Oct 10 2010, 06:17 PM']And don't pay too much attention to JTUK because if he/she doesn't have it or doesn't like it then its not worth anyone having it and he can't accept that there others who think differently - just check out the 2x15" thread to see what i mean[/quote]

Not so...plenty of stuff I'll endorse if I like it and have used it. And I am sure there are plenty of people who don't agree with the stuff I use. Fortunately, they don't have to.

The OP asked for an opinion and I gave it. For the record the combo was a 400 1x15 model so not one of their cheapest. even f it isn't a current model.

It appears to be you that seems to have a hang-up about someone not liking your gear. I posted a negative comment, IME, you
own some of the makers stuff..and now you post the above...oh right, that is how it works..gotcha..!!

As for the 2x15 thread..again, IME. It seems some people can argue a case. That person doesn't seem to be you, though does it?

you can't handle the fact that others think something is good when you think it is not

i have not problem with someone not liking my gear, in fact I could not give two f***s about it

You simply could not get your head around the fact that people were posting clips of what they thought were good sounding 2x15" cabs. You had to diss them as being wrong.

Adding IME, IMO etc does not give you the right to tell everyone that they're wrong

IMO, you're being a dick

[quote name='Delberthot' post='984640' date='Oct 11 2010, 05:37 PM']you can't handle the fact that others think something is good when you think it is not

i have not problem with someone not liking my gear, in fact I could not give two f***s about it

You simply could not get your head around the fact that people were posting clips of what they thought were good sounding 2x15" cabs. You had to diss them as being wrong.

Adding IME, IMO etc does not give you the right to tell everyone that they're wrong

IMO, you're being a dick[/quote]

great argument. LMAO.

The OP here asked for an opinion of a user, I've used it, I gave it. The OP is free to do what they like with that opinion but as it is negative, then if I asked that question I would want to hear it, warts and all. Then any person would likely weigh up the pro's and cons and add in their own 2p and make their decision.
The alternative is not to post anything negative at all but I can't see that being much use to anyone either.

I gave my opnions on another thread about what I thought was wrong about 2x15..and 15's in general., I don't recall any name calling arguements with the people who posted the video. They accepted we would agree to differ which is how we left it even if we didn't have to spell that out.

I use IMV, IMO, IME to indicate this is indeed what I think, but you have a problem with my opinions, oh well..!!
I'll leave the name calling to you as well.

I love GK.
Like everyone else here, apparantly, I run everything flat and tweak it depending on my mood or what bass I'm using.
I got my 400RB-IV for £350 from GAK 5 years ago and never had a problem with it. The boost function is great and can really add some nice textures if you use a reverb or chorus with it. I find the amp very versatile too, the EQ knobs being very responsive and even the 400 can get very very loud! I dare to think how loud a 1001 gets! I don't think I've ever had it past 12 o'clock and I've used it to keep up with a loud drummer and two loud guitarists and a very loud vocalist in a very loud metal band.
Of course, peoples opinions differ, but they are quality amps. I don't think anyone could disagree with that.
Honestly, if it got stolen tonight, I'd buy a new one tomorrow... or maybe next month when I get paid.

Truckstop

[quote name='Truckstop' post='984799' date='Oct 11 2010, 02:50 PM']I love GK.
Like everyone else here, apparantly, I run everything flat and tweak it depending on my mood or what bass I'm using.
I got my 400RB-IV for £350 from GAK 5 years ago...and even the 400 can get very very loud! I dare to think how loud a 1001 gets! I don't think I've ever had it past 12 o'clock and I've used it to keep up with a loud drummer and two loud guitarists and a very loud vocalist in a very loud metal band.

Truckstop[/quote]

Yeah this is true, the 400RB is a potent booger. I haven't gotten stomped yet for volume at a gig.

I think the fact that everyone that loves them runs them nearly flat speaks for it's self.

Like I said in my last post, they colour the tone a lot and give it a distinctive "GK" sound. So I guess it comes down to whether or not you like that tone. If you do, buy one and you'll probably run it with a flat EQ and tweak to taste. If you don't like it, you probably never will, even with the most comprehensive EQ in the world.

One thing you can't argue with is the build quality (at least of the artist series, which is all I've really used). They're built like tanks.

Best thing the OP can do is go find one and give it a play, you'll be able to figure out pretty quickly whether or not the tone's for you.

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' post='984821' date='Oct 11 2010, 08:05 PM']I think the fact that everyone that loves them runs them nearly flat speaks for it's self.

Like I said in my last post, they colour the tone a lot and give it a distinctive "GK" sound. So I guess it comes down to whether or not you like that tone. If you do, buy one and you'll probably run it with a flat EQ and tweak to taste. If you don't like it, you probably never will, even with the most comprehensive EQ in the world.

One thing you can't argue with is the build quality (at least of the artist series, which is all I've really used). They're built like tanks.

Best thing the OP can do is go find one and give it a play, you'll be able to figure out pretty quickly whether or not the tone's for you.[/quote]
I can second what Thom is saying, when I played a show with JWP and used his amp, literally my entire band said that it was the best my bass had sounded. GK are f*cking awesome to put it bluntly, at least for me, anyway.

Zach