Why become a member? ×

EB MM Big Al

Musicman20

Me neither hahha! A family photo is due as I havent even got pics of the SR5 HS yet, in fact none of my latest!

Big thanks to Darren and Chris at the Bass Merchant for being so helpful with these basses and fantastic pricing.

Pics coming soon...probably the weekend!

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1153555' date='Mar 8 2011, 10:59 AM']Ohhh, good timing!

My Vintage Sunburst/Tort/Rosewood Big Al 5 SSS is in the UK right now and will be with me from the Bass Merchant on Thursday![/quote]

I hate you!
Mine wasnt on the shipment :) !

I'm a bit peed as I had to send quiet a few emails before I got a reply aswell, but it not being on the shipment isn't the BassMerchants fault.
As far as I can see there is no reason why it wouldn't be on there.
I was looking forward to using it with my new Super12T

I'm sure I ordered around the same time as you, which is even more confusing.

I guess waiting all this time, then being told I may have to wait a further few months is a bit demoralising.

I hope you enjoy it once you get it.

The only worry I have is living with the thinner neck, since I'm so used to my chunky ray neck.

[quote name='Prime_BASS' post='1155075' date='Mar 9 2011, 11:16 AM']I'm sure I ordered around the same time as you, which is even more confusing.

I guess waiting all this time, then being told I may have to wait a further few months is a bit demoralising.

The only worry I have is living with the thinner neck, since I'm so used to my chunky ray neck.[/quote]

Sorry to here that dude.

On a side note, I don't think the neck is that thin, it's definitely thicker than a standard Jazz Bass...

Eude

[quote name='Prime_BASS' post='1155075' date='Mar 9 2011, 11:16 AM']I'm sure I ordered around the same time as you, which is even more confusing.

The only worry I have is living with the thinner neck, since I'm so used to my chunky ray neck.[/quote]

Hi dude

I ordered mine early October, and according to my PMs, I think we discussed the one you were going to order late November. Id imagine 4-5 months is the minimum wait at the moment, but sometimes like with the more usual models, it can be less than 3 months. All depends on what is on order etc.

Ive enjoyed the wait, as it made me realise how much I want it and let me (finally) sort out my finances for everything.

Dont worry about the thinner neck. The Sterling neck is between a P bass and a J bass if you ask me. Its VERY fast, but you wont get cramps from how small it is.

Itll be worth it :)

The Sterling neck is one of the all-time best bass guitar necks IMO. In fact it's what a Jazz neck [i]should[/i] be! I'd be very surprised if you're disappointed with it even if you usually prefer bigger necks.

Yes it is frustrating waiting for an order to arrive, but at least at the end of it you can pretty-much say EBMM have made that guitar for you. With a bit of luck I'll get my Big Al next week, can't wait :)

Is there no end to things going wrong?! I've had a rubbish 3 months and now my Sterling 5 and Big Al 5 have turned up with what looks like partly shipping damage (one case is seriously cracked) and other very annoying things. The both sound great but my gut tells me I'm in for yet another wait...

Edited by Musicman20

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1159239' date='Mar 12 2011, 01:05 PM']Is there no end to things going wrong?! I've had a rubbish 3 months and now my Sterling 5 and Big Al 5 have turned up with what looks like partly shipping damage (one case is seriously cracked) and other very annoying things. The both sound great but my gut tells me I'm in for yet another wait...[/quote]

Argh, not good news! Is there much damage to the guitars themselves??

One of them has a weird area on the neck I'm not sure about and some chrome flaking, haven't looked properly. The other has a damaged case, and I've not inspected it but it is out of my weight range. I realise they can't get it bang on but it's very very heavy and I requested nothing heavy... I'll not be able to use it much live. Just adds even more annoyance :)

Both cases are scratched but as mentioned one of then is seriously cracked.

I know I'm a picky so n so, but these are super expensive. I expect them to be to spec and mint otherwise may as well have gone secondhand. Big shame.

I still want one of each model but I think they will simply be reordering.

I've got to say Gareth, from the post below in the EBMM Forum, Mr. Sterling Ball was about as helpful and as understanding with you as...someone offering a carton of fags to a lung cancer sufferer.

[url="http://www.ernieball.com/forums/music-man-basses/49019-bad-new-bass-day-3.html#post809816"]http://www.ernieball.com/forums/music-man-...html#post809816[/url]

And that is straight from the owner of the company! I wouldn't even buy a pick, or a string from them ever again, and that's a fact!

However in all fairness: the issue with the bass weight its something you're gonna have to live with it because, I have bought umpteen EBMM basses (and sold) in the past and if I was to ask for a light weight one, I am sure they'd have told me where to get off. Secondly I know for a fact, and do not believe for one moment that Strings & Things inspects instruments on receipt because my latest Big Al when it arrived at the Bass Gallery in Camdem was still sealed in the original cardboard box from the states with the Ernie Ball company logo written parcel tape which was uncut, Strings and Things relies on EBMM's own pre-delivery check, in fact if EBMM Quality Control cannot spot a flaky chrome neck plate or a fret lifted from it's seat no one else can which is why S&T don't even touch them, they are just distributors they don't have a in-house tech workshop, they will take a bass to a technician if there is a problem, (if you send it back to them) and if they can't solve the issue they will ship it back to Sain Louis Obisbo sealed with a loving kiss!

if you can prove the flaky neck plate and a dodgy fret, and remember that you are still coverd by a 7 days return policy, you could by all means get rid of them, get a full refund, and if you still want them re-order and be prepared for another 5 month agonizing wait or..... take the bull by the horn, get S&T to order a new neck plate, have that fret sorted and take them back once you are satisfied that the repair has put all problems right, but again in regards to the weight issue you haven't got a leg to stand on. Harsh but true.

We shall see what happens over the next few days. The main reason I bought the Sterling was for a smaller, lighter, ceramic loaded Stingray 5. It sound good, no doubt, and im very happy with the ceramic tone....its much smoother than I anticipated.

The boxes were 100% still sealed. Whether it was the show here that caused the rush to get them to me, ill never know.

Again, as stipulated before, ive spent an actual huge amount of money so far, so id rather get what I ordered without shipping/etc problems and wait for 2 more, rather than pull out and cancel.

They both sound phenomenal....no doubt about it. But, I do expect perfection when its this realm of money....Ive got 2 very fine examples at home of what they do well. My SR4 2 EQ is just stunning...literally my dream 2 EQ Ray.

Obviously Darren at BM is no doubt having a nightmare now and this is in no way an issue with them. I think he is as shocked as me, because normally these basses are right first time. It aint Fender we are talking about here!

Closer inspection of the box shows no damage, so the case crack could have been there from the start and again, not checked.

Funny, because my £59.99 P bass copy arrived for 'rough' gigs, and it has no problems like this.

Just my luck tbh.

Im going to take a calm approach until I hear back from S&T...who are going to chat to EBMM today asap as soon as they open...hopefully.

Ive spoken to the BM who indeed did exactly as agreed and asked for a low-weight - medium weight (10lbs max) version of both basses. I can deal with 10lbs but nearing 12lbs is just like my old Fender Deluxe P....eg never used and sold due to discomfort.

The wrong pickguard is also confusing...

The cases, if it was just that, are obviously not as a big a deal, as they can replace very quickly, but added onto everything else is just plain annoying. I seriously wanted to be happy and I didnt expect it to literally be 100% perfect, but I think at the price, things have to be nearing the 'oh my this is well made!' area.

The chrome thing is something Ive had before, but it didnt start until 3-4 years or so after ownership. As they cannot simply put the same serial on, you get a new serial, which then confuses things should you sell down the line. The chrome on the Sterling neck plate is spot on, so...I expect them both to be. You cant swap, obviously, as they are stamped with serial numbers. Just to be clear, when the chrome went on one of my previous Rays (long time ago), it got progressively worse. I didnt wear a belt, or scratch the area. It just started to crack and come off. So, thats why I picked up on a small area that looks virtually the same as what happened last time.

The strange area near the frets just doesnt look right, and I dont want to gamble with something thats the most expensive bass Ive ever bought.

Its a case of, when you buy new, you pay more for it to be 'right' and as close to perfection as can be. You pay a LOT more for this privilege. That's why Ive got quite stressed and wound up.

Ive been informed that S&T can fastrack mistakes/problems like this quite quickly, eg 2x the same basses can be ordered and delivered much faster if its a case like this.

Again, im not pulling out of the sale or trying to return for refunds, I REALLY want 1 of each of these bass models! Thats even more frustrating IMO.

Edited by Musicman20

In my non-bass playing alter ego, I'm a manufacturing site manager, one thing you learn about quality is you don't inspect it in, you build it in. If BP's relying on S&Ts inspections to pick up manufacturing faults or order errors, its a tad worrying. They should be picked up prior to despatch, we, for example, would photograph and log all outgoing export orders in case of any issues upon arrival. Having said that, the quality of both my MMs is excellent.

I also had issues on the MM forum, joined recently and posted what I thought were fairly positive comments on a thread about SUBs having just got one, my posts were 'submitted for moderation' and have, to this date, never been seen. Very, very frustrating as I love 'Rays, but have found the forum to be a closed shop, even to a self-confessed fanboy such as myself. GW - did you not get banned from the MM forum for stepping away from the party line?

[quote name='MattM' post='1161899' date='Mar 14 2011, 03:32 PM']GW - did you not get banned from the MM forum for stepping away from the party line?[/quote]

Even sillier than that, I posted a video which did not contain a MM bass. It was moderated as "unrelated", when my topic was about music skills and not the instrument. Eventually the post was closed and I complained to the moderator, having lost my rag with them, I went to town with anger and of course by then I was a bad boy to be expelled. That is the truth.

Seeing is believing, here. this was my last ever thread that caused all that [b]"Lloyd Cole"[/b][sub] [size=1](& the Commotion for those of you who don't remember who they were)[/size][/b][/sub]
[url="http://www.ernieball.com/forums/music-man-basses/46526-i-am-loving-bass-line-no-ernie-ball-music-man-content.html"]http://www.ernieball.com/forums/music-man-...an-content.html[/url]

Edited by Grand Wazoo