Why become a member? ×

EB MM Big Al

Musicman20

Ive been tinkering with an example of a Big Al SSS today, the four string version, to get a flavour before I order.

I must admit, this bass is weirdly VERY comfortable. The neck sculpt where it joins the body is absolutely stunning.

The best pickup combinations so far seem to be bridge + neck, or bridge on its own. All buttons up for serial mode bridge and middle is almost Ray like, but different.

The active elecs are quite subtle, in a good sense. It doesnt overbear the tone....the mids are my favourite.

Passive tone control gives you classic Fender tones but with better quality control and the neck....this neck is lovely, (Sterling 4 neck profile).

The build quality and sheer comfort have impressed me the most.

Im pretty sure Im going to get one of these, in SSS. Id even like a 4 string with the single H as well!

They are quite unique. I wouldnt even say the shape is that crazy when you see it. Its odd, but in a subtle way. The curves on the rest of the bass make is seem pretty normal.

It sounds nothing like any bass ive played, yet gets close to so many and its own tone as well...which is what I expected and wanted. I dont want yet another exact Stingray tone...as I may as well use a Stingray! Its less 'sizzly' compared to a Stingray...definitely good for that back pickup 'burp'. The E sounds HUGE even with the single coils.

I can definitely see me ordering this configuration, but in a 5 and different colours.

Edited by Musicman20

[quote name='Musicman20' post='982851' date='Oct 9 2010, 07:25 PM']They are quite unique. I wouldnt even say the shape is that crazy when you see it. Its odd, but in a subtle way. The curves on the rest of the bass make is seem pretty normal.

It sounds nothing like any bass ive played, yet gets close to so many and its only tone as well...which is what I expected and wanted. I dont want yet another exact Stingray tone...as I may as well use a Stingray! Its less 'sizzly' compared to a Stingray...definitely good for that back pickup 'burp'. The E sounds HUGE even with the single coils.

I can definitely see me ordering this configuration, but in a 5 and different colours.[/quote]

Well Gaz im hoping for a full review when you do get it matey. I love that MM are going against the norm with these bass designs. The lines on the bongo are exactly the same,,,people dont realise how good they look as pics just dont do it justice. Im assuming the Big Al is exactly the same,,,you have to see it in the flesh (er,,,wood) to fall in love.

I just had a few hours playing along to some tracks....this bass is awesome. The more you play with the controls, the more you learn. All buttons off 2 back pups in series sounds great, then hit the neck pup and take some treble off, and its sounds big, warm and fat.

Nice design....Im 99% sure this is for me!

Now I want a rosewood 5 SSS and rosewood 4 H.

Edited by Musicman20

[quote name='CHRISDABASS' post='984116' date='Oct 11 2010, 09:52 AM']Played a 4 string SSS yesterday for a while!! Loved it!! The tone was like nothin ive tried before!

They had 30% off on the strings n things stand so i could have bought it for like 1300

Very, very nice!!

:)[/quote]

Woah, good price! They are fantastic instruments.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='984221' date='Oct 11 2010, 11:22 AM']Woah, good price! They are fantastic instruments.[/quote]

the only thing im struggling with is the colour!

i dont know which to go for??

and do i get a maple board or rose wood.........matching headstock??? :)

i like this one [url="http://www.ernieball.com/forums/music-man-basses/39380-fans-sapphire-black.html"]http://www.ernieball.com/forums/music-man-...hire-black.html[/url]

i also like the idea of a silver one! even white with a black guard would be cool!! hmmm

:lol:

Personally, I am all for rosewood boards. EBMM maple boards are my favourite maple boards, but still, I prefer rosewood. This is probably due to playing my ex MIJ P for years and years, and simply finding darker boards more aesthetically pleasing.

I am currently negotiating a mammoth EBMM order with the Bass Merchant, who have been very helpful.

Currently, instead of getting another Fender Jazz (I never 100% bonded with a Jazz in my life....yet) im going to push myself and get a Big Al 4 H as well. Thats as well as the Sterling 5 HS and Big Al 5 SSS.

Personally, I think the best colours for the Big Al are: White/Rosewood/Tort or Black and Vintage Sunburst/Rosewood/Tort or Vintage White Pearloid.

The Black does look slick, and the silver is very out there! I currently have one here to demo and the paintjob is stunning.

The bass is packed to go back as my demo time has finished, and Im missing it already!

The Sterling neck profile that the 4 has is brilliant. Halfway between a P and a J....fast but not too thin.

Edited by Musicman20

[quote name='Musicman20' post='985072' date='Oct 12 2010, 12:05 AM']Personally, I am all for rosewood boards. EBMM maple boards are my favourite maple boards, but still, I prefer rosewood. This is probably due to playing my ex MIJ P for years and years, and simply finding darker boards more aesthetically pleasing.

I am currently negotiating a mammoth EBMM order with the Bass Merchant, who have been very helpful.

Currently, instead of getting another Fender Jazz (I never 100% bonded with a Jazz in my life....yet) im going to push myself and get a Big Al 4 H as well. Thats as well as the Sterling 5 HS and Big Al 5 SSS.

Personally, I think the best colours for the Big Al are: White/Rosewood/Tort or Black and Vintage Sunburst/Rosewood/Tort or Vintage White Pearloid.

The Black does look slick, and the silver is very out there! I currently have one here to demo and the paintjob is stunning.

The bass is packed to go back as my demo time has finished, and Im missing it already!

The Sterling neck profile that the 4 has is brilliant. Halfway between a P and a J....fast but not too thin.[/quote]

How did you manage to get a demo of one like that?

i'd love to do that! to really make sure its "for me"

You fancy sending it my way next instead of sending it back?? :)

On the topic of colour choice......it kinda seems strange to have traditional colours on such a modern looking bass doesn't it :lol: i still cant decide what to have!! haha

[quote name='CHRISDABASS' post='985433' date='Oct 12 2010, 10:10 AM']Cheers for the PM :) certainly explains things :lol:

Im looking at going for one like this [url="http://www.bassprice.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/Music-Man-Big-Al.jpg"]http://www.bassprice.com/wp-content/upload...-Man-Big-Al.jpg[/url]

Black / black / maple

Just waitin for distributers to get back to me :)[/quote]

Must admit, that is super cool!

[quote name='Musicman20' post='985906' date='Oct 12 2010, 04:44 PM']Well ive finally sorted my order. Big Al 4 Single H, and Big Al 5 SSS along with a Sterling 5 HS. Got rid of lots to get to this point, and now need to save like mad....but im very excited![/quote]

Hey Gaz,,,,did nobody tell you theres a recession on!!!!!!!!!!!!

[quote name='munkonthehill' post='986093' date='Oct 12 2010, 07:24 PM']Hey Gaz,,,,did nobody tell you theres a recession on!!!!!!!!!!!![/quote]

I know. Well, Ive cut back on most luxuries and I currently dont need a car where I live and work, so Im making the most of it. Plus I had to say goodbye to two Fenders to get the three on order!

I am also approaching 30...and decided I needed to treat myself haha!

• 4 months later...

Sorry to bump a fairly old thread but...

Well I had a fairly good go on a black 4 string maple fingerboard'd single MM pickup'd Big Al on Sunday past in Brighton's GAK.
WOW! :) I was blown away!
It was set up horribly, the G string was as dead as badger road kill but even still, what a bass.
The variety of instantly usable tones out of that one pickup was amazing, sounded very very nice in passive too.
I imagine the 3 pickup version must be insane!
Also, not on does it look cool, it's also very comfortable to play and balances very nicely sitting or standing.

Seriously impressed with the bass, although I struggle a bit with the cost of the bass versus some of the fancier bits of woods and strings out there, but I'd have one of these any day over a similarly priced Fender that's for sure!

Basically, I'm starting to see what the fuss is about :)

Eude

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1153555' date='Mar 8 2011, 10:59 AM']Ohhh, good timing!

My Vintage Sunburst/Tort/Rosewood Big Al 5 SSS is in the UK right now and will be with me from the Bass Merchant on Thursday![/quote]

Exciting times dude :)