Why become a member? ×

cleaning strings with methylated spirit

jayblaze

You've put forward and then tried to argue in favour an incorrect point. It is important to demonstrate it is incorrect, otherwise the point will be read an accepted by people less willing to put some thought into it. Which is how you get the whole 15s sound woolier than 10s thing etc. If something is wrong, I'm going to point out that it is wrong, every time. Using organic solvents to remove organic matter from strings is an entirely valid method to render them bright again, it has significant advantages over boiling by avoiding introducing water and head to strings. If you want to bin dirty things and buy new ones rather than cleaning them, its your money, but in a thread discussing cleaning methods, probably best keeping it to yourself.

[quote name='jayblaze' post='982770' date='Oct 9 2010, 06:08 PM']i read somewhere that if you soak your strings in methylated spirits they come out like new. i tried it today with purple meths.... i soaked my strings in a jam jar in meths for 20 mins, took them out and wiped them off. dryed them with a hairdryer and hey presto they sound good as new.
a good money saving tip :)[/quote]
Thanks for this..somebody had said about boiling strings but I was a bit sceptical..

The (brass/bronze?) strings on my acoustic are filthy and cos I only use it occassionally I was reluctant to buy another set - now I won't have to! (assuming it works on brass/bronze). Anybody?

[quote name='TheGreek' post='991671' date='Oct 17 2010, 09:38 PM']Thanks for this..somebody had said about boiling strings but I was a bit sceptical..

The (brass/bronze?) strings on my acoustic are filthy and cos I only use it occassionally I was reluctant to buy another set - now I won't have to! (assuming it works on brass/bronze). Anybody?[/quote]

Works fine, they might not come up shiny, but the gunk will come out so the sound will recover.

[quote name='farmer61' post='991684' date='Oct 17 2010, 09:47 PM']Tube constructed today and Strings soaking in the garage. Even put a plastic pipe bracket on the wall to hold the thing in place.

Massive DIY project for me...![/quote]

Can some expert please put me out of my misery.

Strings soaking for 24 hours...........careful removal..........they still look dirty, even after a wipe with a paper towel.

Surely even I couldn't have screwed this up.....anyone?

I wouldn't have wiped them as that is more crap on the strings... but put them on and see how they sound..that is the real benchmark.
You are trying to get rid of the gunk in between the winds of the string, not so much to make them look newer.

You are basically trying to flush out the impurities left from sweat and dirt etc ..
Let us know what they SOUND like.

[quote name='JTUK' post='992910' date='Oct 18 2010, 10:59 PM']I wouldn't have wiped them as that is more crap on the strings... but put them on and see how they sound..that is the real benchmark.
You are trying to get rid of the gunk in between the winds of the string, not so much to make them look newer.

You are basically trying to flush out the impurities left from sweat and dirt etc ..
Let us know what they SOUND like.[/quote]

Aha, ok will do thanks. I was sort of expecting pristine looking strings aswell, I'll prob resoak for a couple of hours then let them dry off again.

That's me, shallow as a puddle, always going by appearance!!

Edited by farmer61

I always give mine a gentle wipe off with a paper towel ( :) fnar fnar oo-er etc etc )

They sometimes look quite dull when they come out of the tube, almost tarnished...

Hasn't stopped the improvement in sound for me ever though, dont expect them to sound exactly like new, rather they sound just 'broken in' as it were.

ONe other point, I try and remember to give the tube a shake at lest once a day while they are soaking, just to swill th meths around a bit. Cant say it makes any difference or no, maybe I'm a little OCD, but I like my little trip to the shed for me meths shaking :)

[quote name='51m0n' post='993166' date='Oct 19 2010, 09:01 AM']I always give mine a gentle wipe off with a paper towel ( :) fnar fnar oo-er etc etc )

They sometimes look quite dull when they come out of the tube, almost tarnished...

Hasn't stopped the improvement in sound for me ever though, dont expect them to sound exactly like new, rather they sound just 'broken in' as it were.[/quote]

Mine still have the rusty looking spots on them in places, tube shaking sounds a great idea, any excuse to get to the garage!! but I'm going to put them back on just to see how they sound after one more micro soak.....

Edited by farmer61

[quote name='farmer61' post='993186' date='Oct 19 2010, 09:28 AM']Mine still have the rusty looking spots on them in places, tube shaking sounds a great idea, any excuse to get to the garage!! but I'm going to put them back on just to see how they sound after one more micro soak.....[/quote]

I've never left mine until they go rusty first, crikey!

Should still make a difference though.

I go through a few meths bottle as it evaporates so a bottle will last a few cleans ..but that also makes sure the meths is pretty clean itself..
no point in soaking somthing to 'clean' the strings in stuff that is old and contaminated itself.

I find there might be a residue at the bottom of the tray..which obviously doesn't need to go back in the bottle.

My strings might have a stain or two on them but never rust.

• 3 weeks later...

I’ve been using the tube method of cleaning bass strings for around ten years, more or less since I started playing again following a long lay-off.

As already stated the equipment required is readily available and fairly cheap and IMO the results are worthwhile both financially and tonally. I leave strings in soak for around 24 hours, then pull them out, but leave them suspended above the tube for 10 minutes or so for the meth’s to drain off. It’s surprising how much drains off, especially from a 5 string set. I then seal the tube to reduce evaporation and hang the strings up to dry for 24 hours. In the past I’ve tried wiping strings dry with a micro fibre cloth, but didn’t notice any discernible tonal difference, but it’s a good idea to do this anyway as there can be a small residue left even when the strings are dry.

I have around 6 sets of strings in circulation at the moment. In general I’ve found that strings still sound almost new after 4 or 5 cleaning cycles, after that it is possible to discern a fall-off in tone and sustain, but even so still sound acceptable IMO. Personally, I prefer the tone when strings are played in a little. If strings have silks ends at the winding end they may become a bit frayed, but I’ve yet to have a string break or experience any tuning or corrosion issues.

The process seems to work with most round wound string brands, having tried DR, D’addario, Rotosound, Picato, Yamaha and Ernie Ball with good results. I’m not sure if it was on this forum or Talk Bass, but someone asked about cleaning coated strings. I had set of Elixir Nano’s on a 55/01 for around a year. The B, E and A strings were pretty much dead, although the D and G still had a little brightness left. I tried cleaning the set, but I can report that the results weren’t good. There was a marginal improvement if any, certainly nothing like uncoated strings. I think it also lifts the coating on the string in areas of heavy use. Looks a bit like hairy string - see photo.

I’ve just restrung my P bass with a set of Hi-beams and they are really bright. This is the third time they’ve been cleaned…

Cheers

JDH
[attachment=63062:P1030020.JPG]

While I'm quite prepared to accept that getting the crud off your strings is a good thing, I still can't quite see [i]how [/i]it makes a difference to the amplified sound.

I mean, the string's metal and it wobbles around over a magnet. Which makes the electrickal sound, like.

But one's dead skin and sweat isn't made of metal and therefore doesn't get 'heard' by the - er - pick-up. So how can removing it make a difference to the sound if it wasn't getting 'heard' in the first place? :)

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='1012513' date='Nov 4 2010, 08:12 PM']While I'm quite prepared to accept that getting the crud off your strings is a good thing, I still can't quite see [i]how [/i]it makes a difference to the amplified sound.

I mean, the string's metal and it wobbles around over a magnet. Which makes the electrickal sound, like.

But one's dead skin and sweat isn't made of metal and therefore doesn't get 'heard' by the - er - pick-up. So how can removing it make a difference to the sound if it wasn't getting 'heard' in the first place? :)[/quote]

By the same logic, strings oughtn't go all dead & flappy until they physically break... yet they do. Rotosounds especially so.

'tis Witchcraft I tells Ye.

Unless... (& I'm just making this stuff up) ...the accumulation of Bodily Excretions in the outer windings adversely affects the vibration of the string - damping it I guess, & this degradation is then passed on to the pickup.

50/50 that or Witchery methinks.

That’s the point you can’t see the sound you can only here it… Actually, it’s a good point. The impression I get is that the build up of grudge inhibits or affects the way the string vibrates or oscillates - I think of it as damping the string, a bit like palm muting! I’m sure there must be a string expert here somewhere who can enlighten us!

• 3 months later...

I tend to use Fast Fret & a microfibre cloth before[i] & after[/i] every gig/session, to at least partially remove the sweat, oil, acid & dead skin that reduce string life & cause corrosion, and this helps to retain the brightness & sustain. But what makes me replace strings is when uneven stretching of the strings starts to affect their tuning stability & intonation. No amount of cleaning can restore those essential properties.

Obviously your mileage will vary depending on your playing style, choice of strings, etc., but I find it hard to believe that one set of strings will remain stable for years, however fresh they [i]sound[/i] after cleaning.

Having said that, I recently bought a late '60s short scale Jap bass which has really old roundwounds on it and I haven't got any short scale strings knocking about right now, so I'm gonna give them a clean & see how they fare. My wallet would love for me to be proven wrong! haha

Oh bums. I haven't got any meths, either! :)

I bet that stinks though, doesn't it? I was going to try the same thing as I've got no meths & live over ten miles from the nearest source, but it don't 'alf pong! So I soaked them in boiling water with a little biological washing liquid in it, with excellent results.

I would still rather buy 3 or 4 sets of cheap strings & change them more frequently than repeatedly clean an expensive set. This for the reasons I have mentioned previously - tuning stability & intonation, plus fresh strings just feel better.

I tried soaking my (ahem, two year old) strings in meths for the first time the other day, and I was really pleased with the results - it's made a huge difference to the sound and feel, and I haven't had any tuning or intonation problems since they went back on. They still look a bit gunky though, so next time I'm going to see if a gentle pre-soak scrub using the meths and an old toothbrush makes even more of a difference :).

[quote name='mez6d657a' post='1122085' date='Feb 9 2011, 11:24 PM']I tried soaking my (ahem, two year old) strings in meths for the first time the other day, and I was really pleased with the results - it's made a huge difference to the sound and feel, and I haven't had any tuning or intonation problems since they went back on. They still look a bit gunky though, so next time I'm going to see if a gentle pre-soak scrub using the meths and an old toothbrush makes even more of a difference :).[/quote]
I give mine a pre- & post-soak blow over with one of those thin pan scouring pads dipped in meths. I've also been known to do them in situ - slide a black bin bag under the strings & give 'em what for with an old nail brush dipped in meths, then follow up with the pan scourer and finish with a dry cloth & a bit of Fast Fret. No issues to report, but all my basses have a two-pack poly finish which is impervious to most solvents.

Good to know that turps works - can't be that much stinkier than meths, surely?

[quote name='Stuee' post='1122578' date='Feb 10 2011, 01:28 PM']Try it! :) By the way, turpentine & white spirit aren't the same thing either.[/quote]
By Turps, I mean 'Turps Substitute', which is very similar (but not identical) to White Spirit. The two are usually interchangeable.

No way would I use real Turpentine (usually sold as Venice Turpentine), mainly because it's as thick as treacle!
Distilled Turpentine could work, but would be likely to leave a sticky residue, plus it's bloody expensive. I only use that for thinning gold size & yacht varnish and for 1st stage cleanup of my Purdys.

Pete.

White spirit is oil/paraffin based, I don't recommend it. Meths and surgical spirit are alcohol based. All are solvents and do the same thing but white spirit will leave a residue.

I suspect what is happening is that the solvent is dissolving all the grease built up on the strings from your fingers. The grease will have particles of skin embedded in it. I doubt that the solvents will remove skin particles actually trapped in the windings or coils of the strings (If there is any). Very hot water will do the same but detergent will help.

I also suspect that the strings age because as you stretch them they lose their elasticity. I usually have to tune up, I can't remember many occasions when I have to tune down but this may be due to slippage (is there such a word) of the tuners.

I would think that weekly cleaning the strings with a cloth and meths (careful of the fretboard) would be easier and also extend their life.

[quote name='JTUK' post='983278' date='Oct 10 2010, 11:56 AM']I think you need to wind on the string correctly with a min of 3 winds round the post. You need to have this layered up the post so it doesn't over lap another part of the wind but basically you are not wanting any creases or weak points developing on the wind. When you take them off....just wind off until the string literally falls away from the post and then stack the string careful as it would come out of the pack.

In order to get 5 plus rotations which is easily achievable, IME, you just need to take care that the string doesn't get any unwanted bends or creases which can weaken it. It also helps if you keep the same strings going back on the same post config...or same bass.

By taking a bit of care with the string and winds..I never bought any strings for about 15 years or so. Admittedly, I would have quite a few strings ( DR ) in my string pool to choose from, but I change them after 6 weeks max and always use a brighter clean sound. None of the strings would be on a bass and be usable ( for me ) for much longer than that, so I rotated A LOT.

Basically, I swop strings when I feel they have gone off.[/quote]

The last strings i bought are too long for the bass and it seems i have to keep turning the pegs for ever to get them on which now means i have my strings wrapped around themselves a fair few times on the post , is it ok to cut them to make shorter do you think?