Why become a member? ×

can u help me identify this?

Bucket Head

hi there, i recently bought this body which was advertised as a bass les paul style body from the 60's/70s (im sure its probly not). the guy said it might be gibson but he didnt have any idea as he found it in a loft which i guess means its not. anyway i got it the other day and after looking at it, it seems to small to be a bass body and also the neck slot seems very small in width. so im wondering if maybe its a guitar body? or maybe les paul basses have very thin necks. also the bridge suggests that it is a bass but i really dont know wether to try and find a neck or just turn it into a guitar. so yea any help wud be great ;D

cheers guys

This is an early 70s (not 60s) JapCrap Les Paul bass copy, it would've been shortscale (probably 30 - 32") so you'd have real trouble finding a bass neck to fit. If you put a guitar neck on, you will have to reposition the bridge fittings to suit the scale length, which should be around 25".

If you do a conversion & put 6-pole guitar pickups in, I'll buy the bass 'buckers off you. :)

Jon.

[quote name='andy67' post='975454' date='Oct 2 2010, 09:56 PM']Hondo is my first instinct.

andy[/quote]
Nah. Johnston was probably right - I'd say Antoria. I don't think Hondo ever did an LP bass, and the pots look MIJ, not Korean.

And yes - an Epi EB0 neck might very well work. I think it'd probably be too wide to fit without modification, though.

J.

[quote name='Delberthot' post='975940' date='Oct 3 2010, 01:26 PM']Thunderbird necks are a lot narrower at the heel than Fenders and the like. There's a seller in th US sells Epi parts.

Pm me the width and I'll measure my thunderbird if you like[/quote]

He'd have to move the bridge back to compensate but this with a T-bird neck would actually be pretty cool...

Would need a forked stick to prop the headstock up, though!

J.

[quote name='Delberthot' post='975940' date='Oct 3 2010, 01:26 PM']Thunderbird necks are a lot narrower at the heel than Fenders and the like. There's a seller in th US sells Epi parts.

Pm me the width and I'll measure my thunderbird if you like[/quote]

cool yea ill give it a measure and give u a pm dude cheers i recon that might look rad actually cool, and yea if i change the pickups ill give u a pm about selling them or what ever but yea thanks for letting my know guys much appreciation

[quote name='Delberthot' post='976079' date='Oct 3 2010, 03:53 PM']its just slightly over 56mm at the widest point. a standard Fender heel is about 64mm[/quote]

the gap is very sligtly over 5.5cm which is grim, but not much mod to fix it i guess wudnt be to hard, is there any decent places to get those necks from? also wud a epi one be just as thin u rec?

[quote name='Bucket Head' post='976082' date='Oct 3 2010, 03:58 PM']the gap is very sligtly over 5.5cm which is grim, but not much mod to fix it i guess wudnt be to hard, is there any decent places to get those necks from? also wud a epi one be just as thin u rec?[/quote]

That shouldn't require much work to get a thunderbird neck on. Its an Epi that I have

This one is already sitting at £60 including postage - may be better off waiting for a japcrap neck to come up?

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Epiphone-Thunderbird-IV-Bass-Guitar-Neck-Project-/400158926219?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item5d2b54a58b"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Epiphone-Thunderbird...=item5d2b54a58b[/url]

Edited by Delberthot

[quote name='Bassassin' post='974943' date='Oct 2 2010, 01:05 PM']This is an early 70s (not 60s) JapCrap Les Paul bass copy, it would've been shortscale (probably 30 - 32") so you'd have real trouble finding a bass neck to fit. If you put a guitar neck on, you will have to reposition the bridge fittings to suit the scale length, which should be around 25".

If you do a conversion & put 6-pole guitar pickups in, I'll buy the bass 'buckers off you. :)

Jon.[/quote]
NO NO NO sell me the buckers :)

BEST PRICES PAID :lol:

[quote name='Delberthot' post='976085' date='Oct 3 2010, 04:02 PM']That shouldn't require much work to get a thunderbird neck on. Its an Epi that I have

This one is already sitting at £60 including postage - may be better off waiting for a japcrap neck to come up?

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Epiphone-Thunderbird-IV-Bass-Guitar-Neck-Project-/400158926219?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item5d2b54a58b"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Epiphone-Thunderbird...=item5d2b54a58b[/url][/quote]

ha cool thats quick work nice one well ill keep an eye on this actually i recon it cud look well nice, ha tino ill give u both a message but i might not sell them at all so yea cool

cheers delberhot man ill let u know if i get it and cheers for all the help and shizzle