Why become a member? ×

What 1k head should I get

Meenie

I have been chatting to/hassling Alex at Barefaced and after he very kindly and patiently guided me through what I need to get for the sounds I want, it transpires that I will be needing a bigger boat as it were(jaws reference)

So I'm wondering what 1k amp heads I should be looking at, any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
The reason for all this craving for power is my drop tuning of a five string to get the brown notes out!

[quote name='Meenie' post='964592' date='Sep 22 2010, 03:48 PM']I have been chatting to/hassling Alex at Barefaced and after he very kindly and patiently guided me through what I need to get for the sounds I want, it transpires that I will be needing a bigger boat as it were(jaws reference)

So I'm wondering what 1k amp heads I should be looking at, any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
The reason for all this craving for power is my drop tuning of a five string to get the brown notes out![/quote]

Hey Meenie! Did Alex suggest the Hartke LH1000? I reckon it's the bargain of the century - even more so if you grab one second hand.

[quote name='PURPOLARIS' post='964687' date='Sep 22 2010, 05:29 PM']I liked the look of the Hartke Kilo, whatever happened to it ?[/quote]

Larry suggested back in June time they were expecting it out in August - but I think it hasn't made it out yet.

[url="http://www.warwick.de/modules/produkte/produkt.php?submenuID=14673&katID=14496&linkID=25283&cl=EN"]Warwick X-Treme 10.1[/url]
or
[url="http://www.warwick.de/modules/produkte/produkt.php?submenuID=14673&katID=14495&linkID=25281&cl=EN"]Warwick Tubepath 10.1[/url]

[quote name='Meenie' post='964815' date='Sep 22 2010, 07:33 PM']It's all cos I'm detuned A,D,A,D,G really.
I'm struggling to get the lows out at the moment so that's what the man suggested!
I'm open to any other ideas if you have any?
Also I don't wanna lug around a wall of death everywhere!!![/quote]

I'm assuming that Alex has recommended his 'Big One' and a hefty power amp to drive it? Certainly on paper (as I haven't had the opportunity to hear Ale's cabs yet) - it looks like a system that can deliver and I trust Alex's judgement as he knows his sh*t if you pardon the expression. One of my Shuker basses is designed to tune down to low F# and I can appreciate the issues you may be having getting those tunings to be heard. As you have pointed out too - I don't relish the thought of carrying around a dinosaur sized (and designed in the same time period) rig.

[quote name='dood' post='964857' date='Sep 22 2010, 08:08 PM']I'm assuming that Alex has recommended his 'Big One' and a hefty power amp to drive it? Certainly on paper (as I haven't had the opportunity to hear Ale's cabs yet) - it looks like a system that can deliver and I trust Alex's judgement as he knows his sh*t if you pardon the expression. One of my Shuker basses is designed to tune down to low F# and I can appreciate the issues you may be having getting those tunings to be heard. As you have pointed out too - I don't relish the thought of carrying around a dinosaur sized (and designed in the same time period) rig.[/quote]

Exactly

I have a cheap (£80) 8-track mixer that I run into a QSC PLX1202 (£250 second-hand). When bridged, it gives me about 700w (rms) into 8ohms, or 1200w (rms) into 4ohms. That's only the baby model of the old range, too.
Alex C [i]was[/i] using an Avalon Pre-amp into the bigger PLX3002 (3000w into 4ohms when bridged)
I only use standard tuned 4/5/6 strings, and it seems to work well enough even with my modest Trace Elliot 4x10.
Pre/Power is a good way to go. My set up gives you a blendable FX loop, Inputs for 4 basses at once, stereo operation if you want it, 48v Phantom power for FX, and so on.
All up, it cost me £330 and a Speakon connector. That's a bargain for the kind of tone and power it delivers.
One thing to watch for with older cabs- if they've got 1/4" jack connectors, you might want to change these for Speakons, as sticking 1+ kw through something originally designed for telephone exchanges isn't a great idea...

[quote name='Meenie' post='965062' date='Sep 22 2010, 10:22 PM']Alex came back to me with the idea of using my sansamp through a power amp, sounds like a winner to me....and my wallet![/quote]
Sounds like a good plan

I've got mine sitting in the FX loop of my GK head - feeds a crossover and one channel of a stereo power amp (400 + 400w into 4Ohms)