Why become a member? ×

Backing a tribute artist

arthurhenry

Interesting thread.

I speak to young players all the time and they are in bands doing their own material. They insist they will NEVER EVER play covers. Then they don't make it and sit in their bedrooms twiddling away. So they get a bit older and find that doing covers is better than doing nothing, and they actually earn some money for a change.

We were a 5-piece covers band, and in our set we covered quite a few Steely Dan songs. I had the idea of adding brass and backing vocals and doing a full-blown SD cover band. We had no choice but to be labelled a tribute band, however we dressed it up. I play the bass parts as faithfully as possible, but still try to play like 'myself', if that makes any sense.

When Steely Dan tour, they tend to change the arrangements of certain songs, as they should be able to (Reeling In The Years was a prime example on the last tour), but this sometimes doesn't go down too well. We try to remain faithful to the originals.

I've seen some amazing tribute bands, one of my favourite being a Chili Peppers one, where the bassist nailed Flea's lines. What about Zappa, Rush, Yes, Who tributes, etc? Who wouldn't want to play that?

And Bilbo, as we have said before - you play jazz standards. ie. covers.

In conclusion...how else would I be able to play great venues like the Jazz Cafe in Camden and The Sage in Gateshead, doing such amazing material?

And I don't have to wear a wig. :)

Edited by Pete Academy

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='966008' date='Sep 23 2010, 07:48 PM']And Bilbo, as we have said before - you play jazz standards. ie. covers.[/quote]

And I hate them too :lol: Always feels like the path of least resistance and the head solos head formula always sounds tired. Doesn't make tribute bands more attractive though. :)

Same cr*p...different thread eh?! :)

Some facts, from someone who has been in original acts for 25 years and a tribute for 20 of them...:

Tribute bands DON'T take gigs from original acts.
Venues put on acts that can pull a crowd (that's their BUSINESS!).
Many tributes have local support acts open their shows, enabling them to play to hundreds of people who previously would never have bothered going to see them, therefore allowing them to make an impact and gain new fans.
Music is entertainment. Like it or not, many people prefer to spend their hard earned money to see a professional, well executed, performance.
Tribute bands tend to play certain venues on a regular circuit. This leaves THOUSANDS of venues free to original acts, folk clubs, jazz nights etc etc
There is immense discipline involved in playing in a QUALITY tribute act. Nailing parts, phrasing/quirks etc of the original artists is what sets the op tributes apart from the 'cover' bands....

Don't like tributes? Wouldn't do it yourself? That's fine...Just don't spout the same old "killing original music", "taking all the gigs" bullsh*t. That's the lazy option.

If your original band doesn't have the songs, charisma, marketing/business savvy then that's your downfall. Start working on yourselves/your own product rather than blaming everyone else.

And Bilbo, I'd be surprised if you ever lost an original jazz gig to a tribute band.... :lol:

[quote name='cetera' post='966138' date='Sep 23 2010, 09:30 PM']Same cr*p...different thread eh?! :)

Some facts, from someone who has been in original acts for 25 years and a tribute for 20 of them...:

Many tributes have local support acts open their shows, enabling them to play to hundreds of people who previously would never have bothered going to see them, therefore allowing them to make an impact and gain new fans.
Music is entertainment. Like it or not, many people prefer to spend their hard earned money to see a professional, well executed, performance.
Tribute bands tend to play certain venues on a regular circuit. This leaves THOUSANDS of venues free to original acts, folk clubs, jazz nights etc etc
There is immense discipline involved in playing in a QUALITY tribute act. Nailing parts, phrasing/quirks etc of the original artists is what sets the op tributes apart from the 'cover' bands....

Don't like tributes? Wouldn't do it yourself? That's fine...Just don't spout the same old "killing original music", "taking all the gigs" bullsh*t. That's the lazy option.

If your original band doesn't have the songs, charisma, marketing/business savvy then that's your downfall. Start working on yourselves/your own product rather than blaming everyone else.

And Bilbo, I'd be surprised if you ever lost an original jazz gig to a tribute band.... :)[/quote]

Good post. :lol:

[quote name='cetera' post='966138' date='Sep 23 2010, 09:30 PM']Same cr*p...different thread eh?! :)

And Bilbo, I'd be surprised if you ever lost an original jazz gig to a tribute band.... :lol:[/quote]

I have to agree with the local support acts bit. Limehouse Lizzy played at a local Stoke venue and had my mate's originals band as support. Biggest crowd they ever had, and they made lots of new fans.

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='966143' date='Sep 23 2010, 09:34 PM']Good post. :)[/quote]
+1

That post about sums it up for me.

I would also add that i have been to a lot of corporate functions over the years and have never seen any originals bands at these events. Plenty of Tribute and covers bands though so i don't agree that tribute band are taking anything away from originals.

You are, of course, completely correct, cetera. Its an art/commerce argument. I like music as an art form and, by definition, reproducing someone else's art is not art but craft. I prefer artists to craftsmen primarily because, despite my aspirations, I am probably the latter rather than the former.

I am rehearsing with a Kool and the Gang tribute act this Sunday :)

[quote name='Bilbo' post='966156' date='Sep 23 2010, 09:45 PM']You are, of course, completely correct, cetera. Its an art/commerce argument. I like music as an art form and, by definition, reproducing someone else's art is not art but craft. I prefer artists to craftsmen primarily because, despite my aspirations, I am probably the latter rather than the former.

I am rehearsing with a Kool and the Gang tribute act this Sunday :)[/quote]

Celebrate good times, come on!

I agree with Cetera..a good post. Also...I belive you know Mr Hedges, god help you. I also play In a tribute band. Bizzarely around Oxford a lot of venues won't book a Trib act giving the space to Originals only..So it is not all one way traffic. Whenever possible we also try and give a support slot to local original bands.

In our case it has also involved a reasonable investment of Money and time and we do it, not to make money (although that would be nice), but because all three of us love the band and the musical challenge it poses. I hope we improve gig on gig and what we do best is give people the chance to see almost 2 hrs of Muse covering songs from all albums, including some of the more off the wall songs that Muse probably will never play again, as they have to concentrate on promoting new music. Also when was the last time you saw a 2 hr show at a Muse concert? As one other post also said, to see them at Wembley inc travel would probably have cost almost £90.00 to come and see us starts at £6.00... Value for money..I hope so. We also dress to look like them..hell I have to dye my hair which brings snorts of derision from a lot of mates, but if your going to do it..do it as best you can..Still haven't managed to get our drummer in a spiderman suit yet though ;-)
As a fan of live music I now rarely go to stadium/arena venues to watch bands as I don't enjoty the lack on intimacy in such large venues..for example..I have seen AC/DC 5 or 6 times..the last time was at some big out door thing..they were great, the experience sucked.. then I saw Live Wire in Swindon with 300 others and they were absolutely brilliant..but best of all you could feel the music and the atmosphere, it was how I imagined it would have been if you had seen them when they first started. So I think we, as tributes, have a huge role to play for both the fans, and the bands themselves, as, don't forget, we provide a huge amount of free promotion for them as well.

As a musician I try to play all sorts of genres because I love to expand my musical variety (there isn't a lot I haven't played)..if you are stuck in a world of playing jazz may I suggest you join the backing band and throw yourself into it wholeheartedly..who knows you might just enjoy it.

Music is fun...bass is the best bit..one thing presumably everyone on this site would agree with. I absolutely hate musical snobbery, especially in the bass world, we all have our preferences but I feel it is hard to profer a balanced opinion unless you have tried something first....get out there and gig..show people you are enjoying it and then you'll get the enjoyment from all those hours practising. Hell who knows you might just learn a thing or two

www.myspace.com/hypermused

[quote name='Dudgeman' post='966262' date='Sep 23 2010, 11:28 PM']As one other post also said, to see them at Wembley inc travel would probably have cost almost £90.00 to come and see us starts at £6.00... Value for money..[/quote]

Fender guitars are about £900 now, but I saw one that looked pretty much the same in Toys R Us for £90. Now that is good value.

[quote name='Dudgeman' post='966262' date='Sep 23 2010, 11:28 PM']I agree with Cetera..a good post. Also...I belive you know Mr Hedges, god help you. I also play In a tribute band. Bizzarely around Oxford a lot of venues won't book a Trib act giving the space to Originals only..So it is not all one way traffic. Whenever possible we also try and give a support slot to local original bands.

In our case it has also involved a reasonable investment of Money and time and we do it, not to make money (although that would be nice), but because all three of us love the band and the musical challenge it poses. I hope we improve gig on gig and what we do best is give people the chance to see almost 2 hrs of Muse covering songs from all albums, including some of the more off the wall songs that Muse probably will never play again, as they have to concentrate on promoting new music. Also when was the last time you saw a 2 hr show at a Muse concert? As one other post also said, to see them at Wembley inc travel would probably have cost almost £90.00 to come and see us starts at £6.00... Value for money..I hope so. We also dress to look like them..hell I have to dye my hair which brings snorts of derision from a lot of mates, but if your going to do it..do it as best you can..Still haven't managed to get our drummer in a spiderman suit yet though ;-)
As a fan of live music I now rarely go to stadium/arena venues to watch bands as I don't enjoty the lack on intimacy in such large venues..for example..I have seen AC/DC 5 or 6 times..the last time was at some big out door thing..they were great, the experience sucked.. then I saw Live Wire in Swindon with 300 others and they were absolutely brilliant..but best of all you could feel the music and the atmosphere, it was how I imagined it would have been if you had seen them when they first started. So I think we, as tributes, have a huge role to play for both the fans, and the bands themselves, as, don't forget, we provide a huge amount of free promotion for them as well.

As a musician I try to play all sorts of genres because I love to expand my musical variety (there isn't a lot I haven't played)..if you are stuck in a world of playing jazz may I suggest you join the backing band and throw yourself into it wholeheartedly..who knows you might just enjoy it.

Music is fun...bass is the best bit..one thing presumably everyone on this site would agree with. I absolutely hate musical snobbery, especially in the bass world, we all have our preferences but I feel it is hard to profer a balanced opinion unless you have tried something first....get out there and gig..show people you are enjoying it and then you'll get the enjoyment from all those hours practising. Hell who knows you might just learn a thing or two

www.myspace.com/hypermused[/quote]

Great post mate. You know Mr Hedges?!? God help ya! lol!

Do it, its a paying gig ! Aan as has been said, if you aint playing....

I got nothing against tribute acts, covers bands, whatever. better than kareokes and discos. What about tributes to dead bands/artistes. Dr Feelgood - for example - still gigging, same material, but with no original members, is that a tribute band operating under false pretences all over the world ?

What about tributes to bands that only did material written by others, cant think of an example, but you get my drift ?

Its all good. I always said I wouldnt do covers and workie clubs when I first started, done both in the end. Wouldnt wanna do workies again though.

Edited by Slipperydick

[quote name='arthurhenry' post='964159' date='Sep 22 2010, 09:52 AM']I am one of those with fairly snobby and negative views of tribute bands, but would you agree that playing in the backing band to a tribute artist where you are essentially anonymous (as you would be if playing with the real artist) is a lot different and more morally acceptable than putting on a wig and pretending to be Chris Squire?[/quote]

Is it artist integrity? Have you been slogging you guts out for years learning your craft spending years in study, taking you playing and music to the limits and beyond? Breaking musical boundaries, working with musicians from all walks of life and musical cultures playing music you hate just to get that extra bit of learning so you are now eventually at a position musically where you want to be .
Or is it because it’s your hobby and you might not enjoy it as much?

Edited by ironside1966

If there wasn't a market for tribute bands, they wouldn't exist. Punters like them - so live with it. Perhaps we should be asking ourselves is [i]why [/i]they're popular. IMO, it's down to two things:

* Past a certain age - maybe 25 yrs old - people begin to prefer familiarity over originality. It's about emotional security and no bad thing in itself.

* The tribute band proposition (generally) implies an unchallenging evening of popular, successful songs, delivered with competence and accuracy. The 'tribute' label is a convenient sh*t-filter for certain audiences.

Most punters simply want a background soundtrack while they have a laugh and a few beers. The band is simply a utility. They don't want to be 'challenged'. When I go to Tesco, I want the bread to be in the usual place. I don't want the manager to 'challenge' me and put it somewhere 'original' and 'different', like next to the ice cream.

Trib band audiences have made their preferences entirely clear. If we don't want their custom, that's our choice, but let's not bitch about 'reducing opportunities for originals bands' when it's clear that trib band audiences wouldn't turn up anyway.

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='966925' date='Sep 24 2010, 05:02 PM']If there wasn't a market for tribute bands, they wouldn't exist. Punters like them - so live with it. Perhaps we should be asking ourselves is [i]why [/i]they're popular. IMO, it's down to two things:

* Past a certain age - maybe 25 yrs old - people begin to prefer familiarity over originality. It's about emotional security and no bad thing in itself.

* The tribute band proposition (generally) implies an unchallenging evening of popular, successful songs, delivered with competence and accuracy. The 'tribute' label is a convenient sh*t-filter for certain audiences.

Most punters simply want a background soundtrack while they have a laugh and a few beers. The band is simply a utility. They don't want to be 'challenged'. When I go to Tesco, I want the bread to be in the usual place. I don't want the manager to 'challenge' me and put it somewhere 'original', like next to the ice cream.

Trib band audiences have made their preferences entirely clear. If we don't want their custom, that's our choice, but let's not bitch about 'reducing opportunities for originals bands' when it's clear that trib band audiences wouldn't turn up anyway.[/quote]

+10000000000000000000

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='Bilbo' post='966156' date='Sep 23 2010, 09:45 PM']I am rehearsing with a Kool and the Gang tribute act this Sunday :lol:[/quote]

I couldn't do it. I've pulled out (did I fall or was I pushed? Or did I engineer my own demise?) :)

I hope one of you gets the gig and enjoys it. I didn't :)

[quote name='arthurhenry' post='964159' date='Sep 22 2010, 09:52 AM']and more morally acceptable than putting on a wig and pretending to be Chris Squire?[/quote]

I think calling it a morale issue is a bit OTT

Its one of those things, some think is fun and cool, and others will cringe at, we all have those thoughts about various things

Personally I like the idea of tributes, be it half attempts in pubs or a full blown detailed professional project

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='966925' date='Sep 24 2010, 05:02 PM']When I go to Tesco, I want the bread to be in the usual place. I don't want the manager to 'challenge' me and put it somewhere 'original' and 'different', like next to the ice cream.[/quote]

Will you PLEASE speak to the manager at the Shaftesbury branch....we get given a map/compass and a list of "clues"...it's demeaning