Why become a member? ×

Definition of a proper Jazz bass??????

bubinga5

Ok i was thinking about this as soon as i got up this morning, ok its been on my mind for many years...but seriously , about jazz basses...

as we know there are so many copies of the original jazz bass, prob more than any other bass...seems to me the line has been blurred for a long time...i see so many so called jazz basses with MM pickups, soap bar pickups, Pbass width necks, 7 string jazz basses, a multitude of preamp options, rear routed.. im not saying i dont love all of these options...

so IYO what makes a jazz bass a jazz bass...has it come down to just the shape...then again ive seen a non jazz bass shape with JJ pickups called a jazz bass...ive heard jazz basses that dont sound anything like a jazz bass...they got the shape the jj pickups but no growl, snap, cutting punch...

what is the jazz bass? no matter how many innovations that have brilliantly been brought to the instrument, is a true jazz bass still a Fender

Edited by bubinga5

Yeh this is interesting - almost like if you market something as a Jazz bass then a lot of the hard work is done for you.. I've seen, played, owned basses that have a Jazz shape but sound nothing like a Jazz bass, so it's no wonder we're all confused..

For me, it has to have the shape (roughly) and JJ pups (ideally single coil) to even qualify for the title. But if it doesn't sound big and growly then I always feel the manufacturer has totally missed the point in giving it the heralded title, and I feel a bit embarrassed for them! Then you have people like Fbass whose BN5's can sound very Jazz like but don't use the shape or title, repect! But, I think I'm beginning to confuse myself now!

There is only one REAL 'Jazz Bass' tho for me - and it has fender slapped across the headstock.

I think if it has Jazz shaped body, it's a Jazz.

If it has Jazz pick ups, it's a Jazz.

If it has neither of these things but it used for the genre "Jazz", then it's a Jazz bass.

I think if it has any or all of the above, nowadays, it gets the term applied.

For me, personally, it boils down to:

[quote name='fingerz' post='963424' date='Sep 21 2010, 03:42 PM']There is only one REAL 'Jazz Bass' tho for me - and it has fender slapped across the headstock.[/quote]

I agree totally.

Had this conversation with Martin Sims and his Enfield pickups.
It isn't only down to the sound as that is pickup placement and pup type so the body wouldn't matter.

If you going to call something a Jazz, then you have to pay homage to the jazz design and concept as a whole.
I think super jazzes are justified because some originals could be so lacking but shape and tone needs to be pretty much there.
Apart from the electrics and some different woods and maybe the headstock, all jazzes IMV are easily indentifiable from a distance and certainly by sound..although there is a degree of modernisation in the sounds and sometimes rightly so, but you'd still hear 'jazz', IMV.

Talk about icionic..some playing styles are synominous with Jazzes..!!

im trying to think of a bass thats as close to a Fender jazz without the pre, passive and has JJ pups slim neck etc...

oh maybe a Lakland JO? they dont have a pre do they?

what im saying is where should it stop? what are its attributes that make it a jazz...i guess thats why they call Sad's super jazz basses...

Edited by bubinga5

I have a Celinder J update 5 as my 5 string. 'J' being the obvious hint here. It is a substantial Ash body, maple neck, 70's pup placement, J type body shape, scratchplate, single coils etc etc.. I love it, and Chris Celinder obviously knows what playing a Jazz is all about. On paper it's everything a Jazz should be. I must say tho, that my Fender Jazz sets such a high standard in terms of sound and feel, I don't know why Fenders sound like they do, but there's definitely that 'thing' that so many manufacturers try to achieve, but many just seem to miss completely. It's amazing and very strange how Fenders sound how they do, but hats off to them, it's no wonder so many manufacturers try to get in on the action..

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='963497' date='Sep 21 2010, 04:33 PM']Is this a jazz? :) :rolleyes:
[/quote]
No but i like it!!! thats a bad ass bass... :lol:

ou7shined... ive obviously heard of the legendary Pingray before, but do you have a link, or can you tell me more about it...

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='Doddy' post='963440' date='Sep 21 2010, 03:55 PM']Well....as Fender own the name 'Jazz Bass' I'd say that they are a 'proper' Jazz Bass. Everything else is either a copy or an evolution.[/quote]

Yup, but pre CBS. All the others are just rip offs. :snob:

(Ducks for cover, grabs coat, gets out the back and runs away :) )

[quote name='CHRISDABASS' post='963443' date='Sep 21 2010, 03:57 PM']Proper jazz basses to me have to be passive with single coils! You cant get that sound any other way![/quote]

Mine is an active Jazz Bass made by Fender..........................does that mean mine isn't proper :)

It's for sale [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=103487"]HERE[/url] if anyone is interested :rolleyes:

Edited by PURPOLARIS

I would probably say that a 'proper' Jazz bass is the Fender standard model, (for snob reasons I'll say the US model too) four strings and passive. All the rest I would really classify as J-basses, taking elements of the original Fender design and changing it in some way. Being honest I would classify them all as jazz basses really, as it just seems like an exercise in splitting hairs.

My 2p worth is that as the same goes for the Precision Bass, the Jazz Bass "concept" relies mostly on it's simplicy: in fact the barer the simplicity the more accurate is the rendition of the real thing.

I.e. one slab of alder wood, a spartan bit of bent tin bridge with brass saddles, two passive single coils pickups with double magnets, (note this is *the secret ingredient*) two volume pots, one for each p/up, one tone control, cts pots, waxed cloth covered wires and a sprague capacitor all leading to the jack socket.

No preamp, active p/ups, or bada-bling bridge, never, it might sound better with those to you but the more "bling" you add the farther you get away from the designer intended sound. Everyone knows that.

Edited by Grand Wazoo

[quote name='PURPOLARIS' post='963572' date='Sep 21 2010, 05:30 PM']Mine is an active Jazz Bass made by Fender..........................does that mean mine isn't proper :)

It's for sale [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=103487"]HERE[/url] if anyone is interested :rolleyes:[/quote]

sorry i have to say im not sure FMT's are really Jazzes..

if you post it to me i could varify it for you, and give it back to you in a few months or so.. :lol:

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='bh2' post='963566' date='Sep 21 2010, 05:26 PM']THIS is a jazz...

1962... fretless, J-Retro, DiMarzios...[/quote]my word.. does that belong to you bh2..ive seen it on Talk bass

..this is a jazz also... Redeemer circuit , nordstrand NJse4's....my love..

Edited by bubinga5

For me, there's no real definition of a Jazz bass. There are some things I will class as a Jazz, and some I wont, and it doesn't always make sense! For example, I wouldn't class the one posted by Ou7shined as a Jazz, but if it had a Jazz pickguard or even no pickguard I probably would!

[quote name='bubinga5' post='963532' date='Sep 21 2010, 04:53 PM']No but i like it!!! thats a bad ass bass... :rolleyes:

ou7shined... ive obviously heard of the legendary Pingray before, but do you have a link, or can you tell me more about it...[/quote]
Yep bad ass it is. :)

If you click on the pic in my sig it will take you to a thread with some info about the spec and build.

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='963497' date='Sep 21 2010, 04:33 PM']Is this a jazz? :) :rolleyes:
[/quote]

I wouldn't say that was....for the purpose of this thread.
It has a P-bass and MM pickup config. You need twin pups to run as singles.

Just as a jazz can't really do P-bass, I would think that would be the case here vice-versa.

[quote name='Tait' post='963632' date='Sep 21 2010, 06:33 PM']For me, there's no real definition of a Jazz bass. There are some things I will class as a Jazz, and some I wont, and it doesn't always make sense! For example, I wouldn't class the one posted by Ou7shined as a Jazz, but if it had a Jazz pickguard or even no pickguard I probably would![/quote]? :)