Why become a member? ×

So Thunderbirds are rock basses are they?

Delberthot

Saw a clip of the Specials on that BBC4 programme last night and noticed that the bass player was using a Thunderbird

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrOi_mJFN8k"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrOi_mJFN8k[/url]

About time they were recognised as more than big metal hair rock band basses :)

This is why I think you can use 1 bass for almost every style of music instead of having one for this and one for that.

Unless its blatantly obvious that a song needs fretless or 12 string I'm confident I can fit my Thunderbird into any type of music

A passive, pointy, £200 bass - long live this golden age of cheap, quality basses

Edited by Delberthot

I was in The More Specials for years and got so much grief from the rest of the band when once I turned up with my Thunderbird for a gig. Of course when they reformed I felt fully vindicated. I must have been the only person to take one look at them and shout hah!

[quote name='tredders' post='960653' date='Sep 18 2010, 06:46 PM']Horace makes anything look cool...

[attachment=59110:horace_p...ls_pa774.jpg][/quote]

Definitely one cool man.
I was watching the TV last year, coverage of one of the festivals, and noticed Horace playing the Thunderbird. Good to see someone liking an instrument for what it is rather than for it's reputation or stereotype. It all boils down to how you use it.
[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='960806' date='Sep 18 2010, 10:13 PM']I wish Lynval Goulding was my dad. What a guy.[/quote]

I was mistaken for Lynval Goulding once.

.......no, wait a minute, that's wrong, it was someone else completely. :)

I think the sound a Thunderbird makes can be put into many types of music, but they just look sooooo cool, and seem to visually fit rock, however, I saw that Specials clip, and certainly didn`t think it looked out of place, if anything, the choice makes Horace seem even cooler.

It is possible to hate people who are that cool :)

[quote name='Lozz196' post='961098' date='Sep 19 2010, 12:30 PM']I think the sound a Thunderbird makes can be put into many types of music[/quote]
I agree & I think just because an instrument is associated with a genre it shouldn't make it exclusive. Les Pauls are always seen as rock & blues guitars but I've heard people play country on them with sometimes great results. Equally Rickenbacker fits right in there with the Mod scene but I don't think Lemmy fits in with the Carnaby Street In Crowd! :)

[quote name='YouMa' post='961246' date='Sep 19 2010, 03:26 PM']Nikki sixx is not cool though. :)[/quote]

In total agreement. But he could have the most coolest of cool basses in the world, made by the coolest luthier, out of the coolest wood, with the coolest pups etc, etc, blah, blah and he'd still look a noob.