Why become a member? ×

Pickup choices

Simon.

Holla folks,

I'm currently in the midst of long-term GAS, which is gradually building towards a custom build, probably a P-J format, and hopefully done by the nice Mr Shuker.

However, I've been trying to do some research into what type of pick-ups to plump for and frankly find the range rather bewildering! What I'm aiming for is a setup that can run as either passive or active (thinking John East for the pre-amp), which with the P-pickup soloed will give a real classic Jamerson/Dunn type sound and the addition of the bridge J-pickup to add some different tones and colours, and for some Jazz growl when on its own..

The "Gaffer" from Wizard Pickups was tickling my fancy for the J unit, but I'm a bit lost as to where to go for the P. Or even if there are better options out there. Any advice greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

I like Bartolini pickups so much that I bought my Lakland specifically because it had them. I haven't been disappointed. Most of the US "boutique" bass makers use Bartolini so they must have something special!

The competition is much stronger these days but with a good pre amp most pickups can be EQ'ed to get pretty close to any [s]sound[/s] you want.

Edit: I think I should have written tone not sound

Edited by chris_b

Barts for me as well...not sure about a P-bass config though.

but...I have had a few pups made to order and the best thing is to talk to the guys who wind them. That is their job..to emulate certain sounds with their models.
If you have a sound in mind, they will have come across it, most likley and will direct you.
I have done this will KA..and would expect Wizard and others to be able to do this.

A P-bass is a P-bass is a P-bass anyway...that is the whole point of them. Just get the pup position right and the split coil and what can go wrong? You do need that balance across pups though..that will be the trickiest area.
Assuming that your bass resonates well enough in the first place.

I'm a big fan of Wizard Trad pickups and Seymour Duncan. With SD I've used Antiquity and SPB1. I go for traditional / vintage tones personally and always favour passive. I've learnt strings, technique and amp choice / settings make a huge difference too to your tone. I've tried other makes and just settled with what I know & like

i would say your talking to the right man to advise you if you want J Shuker to build you a bass, he will know what pickups you need to achieve the sound you want....

why not just ask him, thats what your paying him for....the guy knows his sh*t like the best in the world...

IMO there are too many options to choose from unless you have tried them all in lots of basses like a luthier has..

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='bubinga5' post='956353' date='Sep 14 2010, 06:39 PM']i would say your talking to the right man to advise you if you want J Shuker to build you a bass, he will know what pickups you need to achieve the sound you want....

why not just ask him, thats what your paying him for....the guy knows his sh*t like the best in the world...

IMO there are too many options to choose from unless you have tried them all in lots of basses like a luthier has..[/quote]

I have to type "+1 Million" to reply to this post. Jon has an incredible attention to detail and if you were to give him examples of the tones you like - he'll nail them! JJ Burnell was very happy with his bass :)) - oh - and if the pickup doesn't exist that you want, he'll know where to go to get it made!

For 'off the peg' pups I have to agree with Barts - I have installed them in a P. They are splendid, and I am now a big fan..... ( I have a Bart pre-amp in one of my PRSs ).

However I reflect those comments above - if you are going to the trouble of having the bass custom made, then listen to the opinion of the chap doing it for you and seriously consider having the electrics [u]made[/u] to complement it.

Thanks for the advice folks!

Yep, I guess talking to Jon about what would be the best options to go for would be the best way forward. I was just trying to get some extra background info as without being able to find basses with EMGs, SDs, Barts, Nordstrands, Wizards, et al in them, 'tis hard to know what they sound like, and whether they can produce what I'm looking for.

I know 2 players who put Lindy Fralin's (great vintage Fender tone) on their Jazz basses and wouldn't change now, and one player who has put Delano JSBC 4 HE pickups on his fretless bass. I see him as the competition and it hurts to say, he sounds very good.

When I spec'd my bass with Jon I just told him the sort of tone I was after with a few examples and gave me recommendations on the spot. I agree that if you're going to the trouble of engaging the luthier then you should use them for their experience too.