Why become a member? ×

Help For Heroes - BBC 1 Tonight

AndyTravis

Last time i saw RW he also had Trevor Horn playing bass on some songs. I think it was Robbie's comeback gig a few months ago at the Electric Proms.
Bloody dreadful version of Video killed the radio star at the end of the night.

He also looked like he had Clarky on guitar lol. :)

EDIT: Seems like it was a year ago so im a bit behind the times. Never really paid much attention to him since he split with Guy.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='ezbass' post='954592' date='Sep 13 2010, 12:15 PM']+1 Tonight With Jonathon Ross always had the crappiest mixes, Later is often another victim of a deaf sound guy.[/quote]

In both these show's defense I do think the live sound isn't translated as well through television, which is probably the case most of the time. The BBC aren't just going to hire any old idiots to do live engineering after all.

It's on iPlayer: [url="http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00tt9jp/A_Concert_for_Heroes/"]http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00tt...ert_for_Heroes/[/url]
It starts at 1hr33 ish.

Jerry's bass is early 60s - can't remember the exact year, and he has the highest action and heaviest strings possible! The Ashdown doesn't appear to me miked so just a preamp/DI that we're hearing.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='954646' date='Sep 13 2010, 12:52 PM']Last time i saw RW he also had Trevor Horn playing bass on some songs. I think it was Robbie's comeback gig a few months ago at the Electric Proms.
Bloody dreadful version of Video killed the radio star at the end of the night.

He also looked like he had Clarky on guitar lol. :)

EDIT: Seems like it was a year ago so im a bit behind the times. Never really paid much attention to him since he split with Guy.[/quote]
Never paid any attention to him!

[quote name='bh2' post='954639' date='Sep 13 2010, 12:48 PM']I assume they just get a desk mix and broadcast that.[/quote]
I very much doubt that.
I'm not too knowledgeable about this side of things, but from what I gather (years of overhearing techy guys discussing this kind of thing) "splitters" are used. So the telly sound guy can sit in his highly equipped sound truck creating an independent broadcast mix.

We did a thing at Granada TV about 3 years ago, and there was a big mixing desk out front, and that was used for our monitors (in ear and wedges) it sounded great through the monitors.

Then when we eventually got a copy of it, the mix was a bit dodgy. Post production sound...wierd.

[quote name='risingson' post='954278' date='Sep 13 2010, 03:03 AM']Jerry Meehan is a great player, heard him on an Omar album a while back and he's damn funky. Used to be Chris Sharrock on kit who's a local guy, but he moved on to Oasis (Noel Gallagher apparently saw an opportunity to piss both his brother Liam off by hiring a Robbie Williams band member, and then piss Robbie off by stealing his drummer... hilarious move :) ).

Yolanda Charles will always remain my favourite RW bassist though.[/quote]
+1 on Yolanda Charles - underrated bassist IMHO. Did some good work with Paul Weller on 'Stanley Road' IIRC, and she was certainly playing live with RW at the Knebworth gig back in 2003 (pretty sure it was her, anyway)

HTH, Ian

[quote name='AndyTravis' post='954719' date='Sep 13 2010, 01:35 PM']Who was Tom Jones' bass player on this gig?

I thought for a second it was Laurence Cottle, but i'm really not sure now.[/quote]
I didn't see him, but Dave Bronze has been playing with Sir Tom recently.

Edited by ezbass

[quote name='risingson' post='954679' date='Sep 13 2010, 01:09 PM']In both these show's defense I do think the live sound isn't translated as well through television, which is probably the case most of the time. The BBC aren't just going to hire any old idiots to do live engineering after all.[/quote]
That's no defense as they're both TV programs that happen to have live music. Their primary audience are people in their lounges in front of the box so the sound should be tailored accordingly. The sound at the recent Jamie Cullum RAH proms gig was brilliantly mixed, proving that it can be done.

As to hiring any old idiots, I've worked at both TV centre and Broadcasting house and the quality of some of the staff is staggering and not in a good way.

[quote name='ezbass' post='954869' date='Sep 13 2010, 03:05 PM']That's no defense as they're both TV programs that happen to have live music. Their primary audience are people in their lounges in front of the box so the sound should be tailored accordingly. The sound at the recent Jamie Cullum RAH proms gig was brilliantly mixed, proving that it can be done.

As to hiring any old idiots, I've worked at both TV centre and Broadcasting house and the quality of some of the staff is staggering and not in a good way.[/quote]

Yeh okay so I'd probably point the finger at whoever was in charge of broadcasting the live sound. I agree that the likes of Jools Holland's Later show is poorly done, but I know a few people for examle who were at Stevie Wonder's gig in Hyde park a month ago who said the sound was excellent live, then watching it back on TV later the sound was dire and in no way an accurate representation of sound quality on the day.

[quote name='AndyTravis' post='955000' date='Sep 13 2010, 04:35 PM']Dave Bronze, that's it...

Cheers mate.[/quote]

MB1. :)
...Worrying to think Mike Lindup was once serious about those Pants? :rolleyes:.. ...Thats Definately a Polydor Avatar! Andy :lol:

Edited by MB1

Once again i was working on this gig, and my ears certainly pricked up during Robbie's soundcheck when said bass player was using all kinds of squelchy effects and noises during the songs, which although out of place for the songs sounded pretty cool! ha ha

The guy who was playing the warwick for the brass band was playing through a tiny little cab ( TC electronics 2 x 10 i think) but i was gobsmacked at the noise that was coming out of it.
I couldn't believe that such a full sound, with so much bottom end, was coming out of it.
Very impressed.
Right, now, i'm off to Plasa today.
Happy days.