Why become a member? ×

An end to GAS?

birdy

This is now mine....

[url="http://www.sadowsky.com/stock/view/3948.html"]http://www.sadowsky.com/stock/view/3948.html[/url]

Its possibly the best jazz bass I have ever played and thats saying something. I am really hoping that I can now just stop switching basses every few months :-)

I have always wanted a NYC Sadowsky and always felt I shouldnt as I am not a pro player but my advice to anyone is get the best bass you can afford and want as you will always be craving it till you get it...

Anyway hope you like the pics, the sound is killer!

Steve

Thanks Guys,

If you heard me try and play fretless you would know that that isn't really an option :-) As for 5 strings I have tried and tried and just feel more at home on a 4 at the moment.

One of my new years resolutions is not to buy or swap any more basses!!!

Steve

[quote name='birdy' post='108160' date='Dec 22 2007, 02:32 PM']Its possibly the best jazz bass I have ever played and thats saying something. I am really hoping that I can now just stop switching basses every few months :-)[/quote]
Nice thought but we all know the truth, eh? Tasty looking bass though. Said it before, but it's funny how we start off with Fender copies and crave the real thing, then buy the real thing and end up craving more expensive copies...

[quote name='birdy' post='108160' date='Dec 22 2007, 02:32 PM']This is now mine....

[url="http://www.sadowsky.com/stock/view/3948.html"]http://www.sadowsky.com/stock/view/3948.html[/url]

Its possibly the best jazz bass I have ever played and thats saying something. I am really hoping that I can now just stop switching basses every few months :-)

I have always wanted a NYC Sadowsky and always felt I shouldnt as I am not a pro player but my advice to anyone is get the best bass you can afford and want as you will always be craving it till you get it...

Anyway hope you like the pics, the sound is killer!

Steve[/quote]
Beautiful looking bass Steve! Though I have to say I doubt it's cured your GAS permanently.. But enjoy the freedom while it lasts!!

[quote name='stingrayfan' post='108381' date='Dec 23 2007, 12:28 AM']Nice thought but we all know the truth, eh? Tasty looking bass though. Said it before, but it's funny how we start off with Fender copies and crave the real thing, then buy the real thing and end up craving more expensive copies...[/quote]
I think im on the top curve of that endless circle, but its fun and exciting, and what else would we rather do with money?

Super bass btw.

Thanks for the comments guys, really enjoying the bass :-)

When I say an end to GAS I see it like in the past I have always thought that I would be a better player if I had a certain, better, bass. Now that I have this it really doesn't get any better. Sure we could all argue that an Alembic or Lakland may be better but this is one of the best jazz basses that money can buy.

With that realisation comes the knowledge that I need to PLAY the things rather than swapping them to improve!!

Steve

Beautiful bass Steve. Can't wait to see it (and try it!) in the flesh. I hope you don't change your mind and sell it before the new year ha ha! Im' sure you won't. You seem to be a dedicated 4 string Sadowsky lover.

See you soon,

Merry Christmas!

Steve

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='109026' date='Dec 24 2007, 06:31 PM']lovely looking axe mate :) how does it compare to the white metro you had a while back? I thought that was a pretty sweet instrument.[/quote]

Hi Steve, I still have the white Metro (so glad I didn't sell it) and to be honest there isn't much between them at all which is what I expected as Roger Sadowsky says that the Metros are as good as the NYC basses if you don't want any special features.

The NYC is to my ears slightly growlier maybe because its got a Brazilian Rosewood board whereas the Metro is Moraddo and I think the string spacing is slightly wider and its slightly lighter as well.

Theres not much in it all but I think the NYC has an extra 5% that the Metro doesn't but its really hard to quantify.

For gods sake don't let me near your Celinders as I have heard great things about them. Oh no is it GAS?!?...

Funkmunky - Pretty sure I will still have it by the new year so you will get to have a go!!

EDIT: Just a point regarding my opinion of Sadowsky basses for anyone who is interested and has heard one or played one and doesn't get what all the fuss is about. When you play them solo they sound good but I have heard nicer sounding tones on other high end basses depending on what you like. Where they excel is on recordings and live. They really cut through the mix so well and have great defined low end with sizzling highs.

Anyway enough of the sales pitch - I don't get commision :-)

Steve

Edited by birdy

[quote name='birdy' post='109049' date='Dec 24 2007, 07:13 PM']Hi Steve, I still have the white Metro (so glad I didn't sell it) and to be honest there isn't much between them at all which is what I expected as Roger Sadowsky says that the Metros are as good as the NYC basses if you don't want any special features.[/quote]

[quote name='birdy' post='109049' date='Dec 24 2007, 07:13 PM']For gods sake don't let me near your Celinders as I have heard great things about them. Oh no is it GAS?!?...

EDIT: Just a point regarding my opinion of Sadowsky basses for anyone who is interested and has heard one or played one and doesn't get what all the fuss is about. When you play them solo they sound good but I have heard nicer sounding tones on other high end basses depending on what you like. Where they excel is on recordings and live. They really cut through the mix so well and have great defined low end with sizzling highs.
Steve[/quote]

Well all credit to Roger for not trying to hype his US made basses out of the stratosphere. The Celinders are great for 70's bass sounds, I can't fault them on that front - great recording workhorses. But not too aggressive in the midrange - that's where I think Sadowskies have the edge as a live instrument.

Hey Steve - I only just saw this post!! Congratulations, that's a cracking looking bass!!! I don't know if you tried to contact me in Ireland about this, but I'm no longer working in Dublin.

Funny enough, the first thing I wanted to ask was this .....

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='109049' date='Dec 24 2007, 06:31 PM']lovely looking axe mate how does it compare to the white metro you had a while back? I thought that was a pretty sweet instrument.[/quote]

.... and your answer is nearly indentical to what I thought when I had that Metro and was comparing it to my NYC Sadowsky basses.

[quote name='birdy' post='109049' date='Dec 24 2007, 07:13 PM']Hi Steve, I still have the white Metro (so glad I didn't sell it) and to be honest there isn't much between them at all which is what I expected as Roger Sadowsky says that the Metros are as good as the NYC basses if you don't want any special features.

The NYC is to my ears slightly growlier maybe because its got a Brazilian Rosewood board whereas the Metro is Moraddo and I think the string spacing is slightly wider and its slightly lighter as well.

Theres not much in it all but I think the NYC has an extra 5% that the Metro doesn't but its really hard to quantify.[/quote]

The Metro seems to be nearly everything that the NYC is, yet I found my NYC basses just had "something" that I couldn't quite put my finger on. I actually wrote it off to the fact that my basses are both maple fingerboards and ash bodies, versus the morado/alder combination of the Metro.

It's strange, because I thought the Metro was a perfect bass - just such a nice bass to play, and yet the NYC basses just seem to be better - 105% perfection, maybe?!!! :) I dunno, it starts to sound a bit silly when we talk about basses being "perfect", yet I've had both my basses for around 4 or 5 years, and I still love them, and my biggest regret over the last 5 years, as far as bass purchases and sales go, is giving that Metro back to you!! :huh:

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='110139' date='Dec 28 2007, 09:56 AM']That's a lovely looking bass... Quite fancy one like Tal Wilkenfeld's in the natural with the active circuit, etc. So you're a full-on Sadowsky-ite now, then?[/quote]

Thanks, Yea I really like the way they play and sound. I must admit it took me a while to realise how good they were. I had an older (94) NYC model about 3 years ago that I sold after a few months and then the white Metro that I have now went to Bassaussie as part of a deal and then came back again as part of another deal! In between getting the Metro back I got another Metro off Greeneking which was lovely as well and has since gone.

The Sadowskys just seem to work well for me. They are very versatile, record wonderfully and sound tight in a mix. Its horses for courses however. Funkmunly and myself AB'ed my Metro with the Fender Custom Shop that I had and he preferred the Custom Shop and it sounded better when he played it through his rig. When I got home and played both through my rig the Sadowsky sounded better to me.

With regards to the one you quite fancy I think they all have the active circuit. You can switch to passive should your battery die but pretty sure they are all active. The only slight oddity is that the NYC versions come with a vintage tone control (VTC) which allows you to back off the treble whereas the Metros dont have this as standard (although I think the Metro P's do).

Steve