Why become a member? ×

Punk amp on a budget?

bassix

I'm looking to upgrade my amp and cab to something a bit more meaty but the price of Ampeg's is too much for me to bear. I like the bass sounds of 90's punk bands like Rancid, Distillers, anti-flag and would like to replicate it. Anyone got any ideas of what would be a good alternative?

[quote name='bassix' post='950709' date='Sep 9 2010, 03:26 PM']I'm looking to upgrade my amp and cab to something a bit more meaty but the price of Ampeg's is too much for me to bear. I like the bass sounds of 90's punk bands like Rancid, Distillers, anti-flag and would like to replicate it. Anyone got any ideas of what would be a good alternative?[/quote]

I used to play quite a lot of those songs in the 90's, I always used my old Fender Bassman 135 with a beaten up old Laney 4x10. You can get a great raw, punk sound with that combination. I think it's down mainly to the amp, any 4x10 would do I guess.

It's good as Bassmans are pretty unliked so you should be able to pick one up for a steal.

Edited by thebassman

[quote name='thebassman' post='950719' date='Sep 9 2010, 03:35 PM']I used to play quite a lot of those songs in the 90's, I always used my old Fender Bassman 135 with a beaten up old Laney 4x10. You can get a great raw, punk sound with that combination. I think it's down mainly to the amp, any 4x10 would do I guess.

It's good as Bassmans are pretty unliked so you should be able to pick one up for a steal.[/quote]
Your recommendation wouldn't have anything to do with your name would it?!

[quote name='bassix' post='950755' date='Sep 9 2010, 03:56 PM']Your recommendation wouldn't have anything to do with your name would it?![/quote]

I suppose it is yeah, i don't own the company though :)

These amps are seriously underated though.

I used mine for about 10 years, for all styles of music, and it is still going strong.

I still have it, and would never part with it, but i am now loving that Mesa sound.

Agree with Burritobass, 2nd hand a good way to get more for yr cash. Wd also recommend the Marshall MB range - got a tube in the pre-amp, so can get a lovely warm/valvey sound, and boostable gain feature. Some people say they`ve had reliabilty issues with the MBs, but I`ve had 3 of the range, no probs with any of them.

[quote name='Colledge' post='950811' date='Sep 9 2010, 04:48 PM']you can't get much more punk than a big, heavy, cheap but groundshaking peavey or trace elliot 2x15 with a peavey mkIV or old trace head to match. If you don't mind the bulk, theres some amazing deals to be had for some real quality gear.[/quote]

I was about to say the same. No amount of abuse seem to trouble old peavey and trace stuff. Reasonable to good tone, volume to spare, tiny prices

[quote name='razze06' post='950824' date='Sep 9 2010, 05:07 PM']I was about to say the same. No amount of abuse seem to trouble old peavey and trace stuff. Reasonable to good tone, volume to spare, tiny prices[/quote]

Yeah the paevey TNT combo is very loud. I borrowed a mates, it was around a 100 watts and was a beast.

Cheers for the ideas guys. I'm playing a hartke 2500 at the moment through a warwick 410pro which is loud but doesn't have that gritty, gainey sound i'm after. Oh, i also would like to have something fairly small as big things aren't train friendly..

[quote name='bassix' post='951379' date='Sep 10 2010, 01:45 AM']I was considering the Tech 21 Bass Character pedal which emulates the svt. Any suggestions?[/quote]

The Catalinbread SFT currently in the for sale section for £100. If you want good grit that would be hard to beat.

TBH I would suggest you just do that and keep your current Hartke 2500 into a 4x10 cab rig. Any particular reason (other than dirt) why that rig isn't working out for you?

If considering pedals, may be worth getting the Behringer BDDI - it does the SVT sound, and virtually exactly what the Sansamp Bass Driver does, at a fraction of the cost. I was in a similar position years ago, had a Trace that was far too clean for me - bought the Sansamp, problem solved, instant valvey-ness!

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='951394' date='Sep 10 2010, 04:27 AM']The Catalinbread SFT currently in the for sale section for £100. If you want good grit that would be hard to beat.

TBH I would suggest you just do that and keep your current Hartke 2500 into a 4x10 cab rig. Any particular reason (other than dirt) why that rig isn't working out for you?[/quote]

Its just a case of not getting the sound I would like out of it. It has plenty of power but not a lot of soul so if I can achieve that with a pedal I think it must be worth a try. There is also a part of me that wants a lightweight rig. As we're playing small gigs normally (largest being the concorde 2) it seems a little pointless having heavy equipment to take to pubs and small club shows. I also like the idea of taking a barefaced midget cab on stage to derision and then blow people away!

[quote name='Musicman20' post='951539' date='Sep 10 2010, 09:50 AM']Hartke LH500 + Tech 21 BDDI or VT Bass. Personally, for modern punk, the BDDI.

Or, you could try the Orange Bass Terror.[/quote]

I've heard good things about the Bass Terror, it certainly fits the size category I just wonder if it'd do the punk job well?

[quote name='bassix' post='951572' date='Sep 10 2010, 11:12 AM']Its just a case of not getting the sound I would like out of it. It has plenty of power but not a lot of soul so if I can achieve that with a pedal I think it must be worth a try. There is also a part of me that wants a lightweight rig. As we're playing small gigs normally (largest being the concorde 2) it seems a little pointless having heavy equipment to take to pubs and small club shows. I also like the idea of taking a barefaced midget cab on stage to derision and then blow people away![/quote]

I use Peavey Mk III, but am more doing the 80's punk sound. However I added a EHX english muffin' to give that little tubey warmth (that's soul!). It is extraordinary, but not if you want to add a mass of distortion then I think other pedals are better.
I used the HA2000 before that and I understand your 'lack of soul' kinda description, well the above combination HAS IT.
I'm sure amp and pedal can be found really cheap in the UK.

[quote name='bassix' post='951574' date='Sep 10 2010, 10:15 AM']I've heard good things about the Bass Terror, it certainly fits the size category I just wonder if it'd do the punk job well?[/quote]

100% punk grindy tone if you want it. Will also do smooth and clean.

For the price, its fantastic. VERY loud!

So, you dont even need a pedal as it will get dirty if you want it to.

Another option is a Markbass LM2 or 3 with a pedal. Light, great tone, very loud. Universally known as excellent amps.

I think I will add the Orange to the list of maybe's then and head down a local shop to try it out. I think the sensible thing at the moment would be to look at pedals to see if I can achieve the desired results from that change though as its much cheaper. Then if I'm still not getting the tone then I will look at changing the head at that point.