Why become a member? ×

Anyone thinking of buying from Rondomusic.com?

derrenleepoole

Just wondering if anyone on here is planning a purchase from Rondomusic.com? I want to order a replacement scratchplate for a short scale P-bass, the sizes are a bit different to normal ones and no one else does SX stuff. Rondo are quoting $50 postage just for a $10 scratchplate!!!!!! They won't budge on cost either. So, if anyone is planning an order of a bass etc quite soon that will warrant such a high postage cost, could you order the scratchplate as well and I'll pay for my bit?

I ordered an SG scratchplate from the USA - it was supposed to be $18, but customs intercepted it & wanted another £22 to make it match UK prices (after holding it for 3 weeks without telling me). I told them to send it back & I'd get a refund. The customs bloke couldn't believe it & banged on about all the hassle they'd have to go thru to do that, oh how I laughed.

I then sent a template to JayDee & he cut me one out of a sheet of 50's celluloid, nice n vintage!

[quote name='Big_Stu' post='946232' date='Sep 5 2010, 03:17 PM']The customs bloke couldn't believe it & banged on about all the hassle they'd have to go thru to do that, oh how I laughed.[/quote]
Love it! :) They stung me for £97 this week & my 1979 bass parts were quicker coming from Texas to the UK then they were held in customs. Considering how long they had them, they were not even opened, the lazy buggers!

[quote name='velvetkevorkian' post='946261' date='Sep 5 2010, 03:39 PM']I'd love to (I really want one of the 8 string guitars they do!) but the lack of warranty for sales outside North America puts me right off, unfortunately.[/quote]

I was considering buying one of their 8 strings when I had money, and after talking to some brits on youtube that have actually bought from there, they have all been okay. Next time I have money to waste I'm definitely buying one.

[quote name='deathpanda' post='946557' date='Sep 5 2010, 07:21 PM']I was considering buying one of their 8 strings when I had money, and after talking to some brits on youtube that have actually bought from there, they have all been okay. Next time I have money to waste I'm definitely buying one.[/quote]

Om nom nom nom.

[quote name='Rayman' post='947215' date='Sep 6 2010, 01:57 PM']Don't mean to be thick, but is that a [i]bass[/i] we're looking at there? I've lived a sheltered life obviously.[/quote]

Not far from it. Guitar scale and narrow string spacing, but the lowest note will be F#.

S.P.

Edited by Stylon Pilson

[quote name='Annoying Twit' post='947265' date='Sep 6 2010, 02:55 PM']Are there any examples of people playing the 8 string that aren't just metal riffs?[/quote]

Try searching YouTube for 8 string guitar. I found plenty. You can tell by looking at the thumbnail whether the guitarist is going to be a metaller or a jazzer.

S.P.

[quote name='Stylon Pilson' post='947297' date='Sep 6 2010, 03:18 PM']Try searching YouTube for 8 string guitar. I found plenty. You can tell by looking at the thumbnail whether the guitarist is going to be a metaller or a jazzer.[/quote]

Oh yes. I searched on "8 string agile", and it's nearly all extreme metal. Not that I've anything against extreme metal, but it's not really my thing.

But a search on 8 string guitar results in this:

[quote name='Big_Stu' post='946232' date='Sep 5 2010, 03:17 PM']I ordered an SG scratchplate from the USA - it was supposed to be $18, but customs intercepted it & wanted another £22 to make it match UK prices (after holding it for 3 weeks without telling me). I told them to send it back & I'd get a refund. The customs bloke couldn't believe it & banged on about all the hassle they'd have to go thru to do that, oh how I laughed.[/quote]
About 20 yrs ago , I was one bottle of Whisky over the limit when I went through customs (when they had limits as such) , and they wanted quite a bit off of me .

Told them to keep it , went to walk off , and they asked me if I wanted to come to a deal :)

I paid a couple of quid , and I was on my way with it .

I never thought about the hassle factor for them , I suppose it was the same .

Good on ya .