Why become a member? ×

retrovibe riki copies

rambam

It is a bit podgy-looking, but I'd say the scratchplate is more wrong than the body contours - if it was a bit more symmetrical, angular & tidily-cut like the original, it would improve the whole look.

However, I'll forgive the Retrovibe a lot, if it's red with black binding and costs £260. If I do get one it'll get black hardware (including aluminium Hipshot bridge), re-cut or replaced scratchplate & a black surround for the bridge pup.

Jon.

Edited by Bassassin

[quote name='Bassassin' post='1120047' date='Feb 8 2011, 01:22 PM']It is a bit podgy-looking, but I'd say the scratchplate is more wrong than the body contours - if it was a bit more symmetrical, angular & tidily-cut like the original, it would improve the whole look.

However, I'll forgive the Retrovibe a lot, if it's red with black binding and costs £260. If I do get one it'll get black hardware, re-cut or replaced scratchplate & a black surround for the bridge pup.

Jon.[/quote]
I know what you mean, Jon. And it probably won't bother most people. I spent my formative years pissing about with French curves and learning art and graphic design (yes, yes, I've heard them all before :)) and things like this scream at me, I couldn't live with it. Weird isn't it. Amazing value for money and I've heard a lot of great things about them.

I've got 3 JapCrap RickenFakers and a contemporary Rick-ish thing - and none of them get the shape quite right. You can forgive the old 70s stuff, most of this was pre-CNC (as were real Ricks, which do vary a lot!) and possibly not even copied from actual Rickenbackers - there are some bizarre stories circulating!

I'm not too bothered by what I consider minor differences, certainly with the vintage Jap stuff that's part of the character and the appeal of the things. To an extent I feel the same about the Retrovibe - it's not trying to be a slavish imitation, and I definitely approve of that!

J.

[quote name='dannybuoy' post='1119599' date='Feb 7 2011, 10:46 PM']Retrovibes now in Fireglo and Mapleglo, with maple bodies!

[url="http://probass.co.uk/Update.html"]http://probass.co.uk/Update.html[/url][/quote]

what a prick, now im gonna have to buy one.

All though, i am very tempted by the J-P he has. classy.

Edited by RickIronWitch

[quote name='RickIronWitch' post='1120186' date='Feb 8 2011, 03:44 PM']what a prick, now im gonna have to buy one.

All though, i am very tempted by the J-P he has. classy.[/quote]

To whom it may concern:

If he does the RV4 or the J/p-type in black and *FRETLESS* I will have no option but to go and buy one!!! :)

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Magnolia' post='1139054' date='Feb 23 2011, 07:44 PM']I have just been told that both a fretless and 5'er will be with us in April.

Both, I shall be getting :)[/quote]
Argh! Just when I'd convinced myself that that I had too many (or even enough) basses.

I'm just back from a rehearsal when I put my RV4 through my new MXR DI+ and totally loving it. The action on the E string is just a bit low, and the rattle was sounding great! So now I'm going to bring the other strings down to meet it... and I only have one fretless at the moment, which needs a bit of work, so I'll need another one for when it goes into the hospital, won't I?

[quote name='ras52' post='1139173' date='Feb 23 2011, 09:05 PM']Argh! Just when I'd convinced myself that that I had too many (or even enough) basses.

I'm just back from a rehearsal when I put my RV4 through my new MXR DI+ and totally loving it. The action on the E string is just a bit low, and the rattle was sounding great! So now I'm going to bring the other strings down to meet it... and I only have one fretless at the moment, which needs a bit of work, so I'll need another one for when it goes into the hospital, won't I?[/quote]

Too many basses?? Go wash your mouth out! There's no such thing :)

Mine is set up with a tad of rattle when I dig in and sounds awesome. Its definitely the best £260 I have spent in a long time.

My RV4 in Fireglo arrived today. First impressions are its a lovely bass for the money. There are several 'set-up' issues tho that will need to be sorted by my local luthier:- The nut isnt even close to being cut right, the G string is a fair way off all the other strings so new nut is a must, neck needs adjusting (im crap at this), the neck pick up is slightly of centre meaning the G string side pole is on the other side of the string, Ive pushed the string outwards so it is over the pole and it is off the neck! I bought it as a back-up bass so im not too concerned about the pick-up but the new and neck will need sorted before i have it in my gig bag.

Everything else looks good. Its a very thin body and nice and light, the controls are all smooth ans the wood grain looks very classy. Once its fully set up ill give it a good test at rehearsal and do a proper review but to summarise at the mo.....you can tell its a chinese made bass, not great QC but potentially a bargain once Phil Hartley works his magic on it

Edited by Pow_22

[quote name='Pow_22' post='1140394' date='Feb 24 2011, 08:39 PM']Ordered my fireglo today. Anyone know if the £50 AllParts ric style bridge will fit this? I want a ric style one but cant afford a proper hipshot or owt at the mo[/quote]
These are accurate copies of real Rick tailpieces so no, it won't fit without some modding. The bridge/saddle assembly sits in a "well" which protrudes underneath the tailpiece so there's a route in the body of a Rick to accommodate it. Pretty simple job for a luthier, but not a bolt-on swap.

To be honest unless you're going to get a Hipshot, you're probably better off keeping the stock Retrovibe bridge - at least you can adjust string height & intonation properly!

Jon.

Thought id update re my RV4F. Now the neck has settled i think it just needs a tinker with the truss rod, basically it needs (amateur speak here) ''pulling back at the headstock'' i assume this is 'relief'? Also must mention the customer service ive recieved from David at Probass. From the time i ordered my bass he has been nothing but helpful with my issues. Even to the point of emailing me regarding my previous post on this thread offering a full set-up and no cost to me or alternitively a brand new nut free of charge. As im a fussy one re: setups ive opted for the nut and will take it to a guy who does all my basses (Phil Hartley). This isnt because i dont trust David its just that having done all my instruments Phil knows exactly how i like them done. Fair play to David on the customer service. Really are stunning basses for the money, the Fireglo looks lovely and i really am tempted by the Natural finish ones, slight problem being the Mrs :)

[quote name='Pow_22' post='1177512' date='Mar 26 2011, 06:46 PM']Anyone know what gig-bags will fit these? So far everything ive tried is to thin for the headstock, im assuming ill need a ric one?[/quote]

I just use one of these [url="http://www.staggmusic.com/products/products_detail.php?langue=uk&oneid=659"]Stagg gig bags.[/url]