Why become a member? ×

Is the MIA Precision worth the extra over a Highway One

sk8

Strictly speaking they are both MIA !

The Highway has a non-gloss (nitrocellulose I believe) but satin finish that isn't as strong as the American standard model. It is prone to more wear and will bash more easily, but some people will prefer this ! The nitro finish will lead to easier 'mojoing' of the bass.

And i've not heard many people have much good to say about the S-1 switching unfortunately.. sound wise there probably isn't a lot in it, so it's up to you really !

If it were me i'd go for the American standard because I wouldn't want the finish to wear too easily.

I like the fact that the HWone has the Badass bridge as standard & the graphite neck poles, but I'm not convinced by the nitro "wears out fast" finish. On the other hand, the S1 switching & through body stringing gives you more sound options with the MIA standard. But all in all, the finish on either isn't great. You only have to look at a CIJ Fender like my Geddy Lee. It makes all the American ones look and feel shoddily made. I'd go to one of the Japanese importers & get one of the 75 reissues with the badass bridge and save some money compared with an MIA.

I played yet another current MIM jazz at Sound Control last weekend. Amazing sounding and playing bass. Make sure you play one of the current Mexicans before you shell out a lot of money!

they're both MIA although i'm guessing you mean Am Series?
H1 has a badass and nitro too but rosewood fingerboard only (i think), so if you want a maple board, out of the two the Am Series is the one to go for.

If it was my money, I'd buy a secondhand Am Series and the price difference would be significantly less I suspect

[i]edit[/i]: just to add to that - the finish on my Am Series precision is very good, the lacquer on the back is scratched to buggery now but not through the finish so it looks a bit messy as opposed to "mojoed", but it was well put togtether and everything works as it should. The S1 switch is a waste of time on a precision and they should have been sacked off at pre production. I think there is a slight difference to some of the hardware as well - tuning machines I think and the spec on the fender site says nothing about the H1 having the graphite neck rods, which the Am Series does - although what benefit these have, I have no idea.
A new H1 will come with a gig bag, the fender moulded cases are, IMO, a load of crap and aren't worth the premium.

I'm not a massive fan of the satiny finish either and i'd probably still go for a second hand Am Series, especially in the current sh market.

Edited by john_the_bass

Well, basically what you get extra for your money is the following, a gloss finish as opposed to the satin one, a fender moulded hard case as opposed to a gig bag, and the option of a maple fretboard which I dont think the highway precisions have, but I could be wrong. The Highway basses now come with badass bridges which are just as good as the American standard bridges if not better. The satin finish is designed to wear and chip quickly giving your bass that mojo vintage type vibe. The gig bags you get with the highway basses are pretty good.

Basically if you want a better finish and a better resale value I'd go with the American standard.

By the way the S1 switch on a precision is crap, it just makes it sound thin and weak, the S1 on a jazz however is brilliant.

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='106033' date='Dec 18 2007, 04:47 PM']On the other hand, the S1 switching & through body stringing gives you more sound options with the MIA standard.[/quote]

The S1 switching on the Precision does not thing positive from an audible point of view - in fact it's merely a volume drop. On the Jazz, however, it's much more versatile.

[quote]But all in all, the finish on either isn't great. You only have to look at a CIJ Fender like my Geddy Lee. It makes all the American ones look and feel shoddily made.[/quote]

You've made this sweeping statement before which i think is totally incorrect. In my experience of owning Japanese Fenders (I have had a Geddy and a 75 reissue) the quality is consistently good but does not make all American ones look shoddily made. You may find some that compare unfavourably but I can't fault my current American series Fenders, of which I have three.

I don't disagree that Japanese Fenders are the best value for money wise, but I think you go too far in writing off the American series.

thanks for the replies.

Yeah, i know they are both MIA just phrased it like htat to differentiate but i suppose i looked a bit ignorant! :)

I have tried the AM series and S1 switching is a bit odd. Just thins the tone so i doubt i would use this. I like the idea of the BA bridge but wonder about the finish.

I was considering a Squier VM P but as i would probably add a BA Bridge to it anyhoo wondered about the extra for a Highway one.

Apologies if this is slightly off topic, but...

The best Fender I've ever had was a Crafted in Japan '62 Reissue Jazz.

It was way better than MIM, and quite a lot better than various MIA's.

Which kinda begs the question 'What is a Fender, and does it matter?'

'Cos a CIJ Fender is really a Tokai... isn't it?

[quote name='Jamesemt' post='106130' date='Dec 18 2007, 06:42 PM']I was considering these a few months ago, and ended up getting an MIJ 62 reissue in Nitro...so it's shiny, but should wear nicely :)

£500 including duty direct from Japan - and the gigbag is ace.[/quote]
where was that from as i've found a mijfender site in the uk

Just to confuse you further Sk8, The Highway P Bass has the greasebucket(?) circuitry in it. This is supposed to be a considerable improvement over the traditional P Bass tone control which basically just rolls off the treble, and the S1 which I always find is next to useless on the P, as it seems like everyone else does.

I read a review in one of the mags. I think it was G****r & Bass magazine. They said it was the best Precision Fender had ever produced and a real improvement over the Am Series.

I also agree with the above comment about the moulded hardcase you get with an Am series. They used to be good but they're now cheap flimsy crap. I'd rather have a decent quality gig bag

Edited by PaulMartin

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='106033' date='Dec 18 2007, 04:47 PM']You only have to look at a CIJ Fender like my Geddy Lee. It makes all the American ones look and feel shoddily made. I'd go to one of the Japanese importers & get one of the 75 reissues with the badass bridge and save some money compared with an MIA.[/quote]

Bit of a generalisation OTPJ? Like saying all MIM's are cr*p. Like many on here I've had both Jap and MIA. I would put my current MIA 2004 in the same sort of league as my old 1982 JV in terms of build - maybe I got lucky? If you want something made better buy a MM or a Status but it won't sound like a Fender P.

i got a CIJ P from fareastguitars (type it in to google) good guy- imports second hand fender japan stuff. Probably as cheap to buy new and pay import duty.

*CAUTION: very subjective experiences*
Before buying i tryed out a AM series which was really really cheap. But to me that particular one just felt wrong, plasticy finish, bad balance and it just didnt feel like it was made of wood. S1 switching was pointless too. It didn't feel like a special bass you would enjoy playing it felt cheap. To be honest if i had just had the choise of the one shop to buy a p bass i would have walked out with a squier

[quote name='sk8' post='106323' date='Dec 19 2007, 07:20 AM']where was that from as i've found a mijfender site in the uk[/quote]

That was from Ishibashi in Japan, it's no ordinary MIJ.

The model numbers coincide to the RRP in Japan - mine is a 105 DMC.

Cost me 100,000 yen including delivery - saw one identical to mine in the Bass Cellar for £799...

I would advise against buying one new in this country, you end up paying a couple of hundred quid more.

Couple of emails to Ishibashi (obviously in English, or should that be Ingrish :) ) and the bass arrived the following week.

Edited by Jamesemt

I used to own a 2000 American standard Precision in white blonde over ash. it was a really lovely bass,as was the American series Jazz 5 string I had earlier this year. I'm not a fender player per se but I know that every MIA standard/american series I've tried has been rock solid.The rounded over edges,fretwork,component quality and playability was first class on all of them.