Why become a member? ×

Just found this 70's P in the wrong section on eBay

GreeneKing

Bit of an off-day in the factory to get the bridge quite as misaligned as that - the g-string's nearly hanging off the top of the fingerboard. Also looks like a replacement, home-chewed "custum" brass nut. Maybe the owner liked the strings to be in unconventional places.

Jon.

[quote name='Bassassin' post='105637' date='Dec 17 2007, 11:14 PM']Also looks like a replacement, home-chewed "custum" brass nut. Maybe the owner liked the strings to be in unconventional places?[/quote]

You're just one of those conventional, 'stick-in-the muds' who cling-on to outmoded conventions like having strings above the fretboard... :)

Edited by finnbass

[quote name='finnbass' post='105651' date='Dec 17 2007, 11:26 PM']You're just one of those conventional, 'stick-in-the muds' who cling-on to outmoded conventions like having strings above the fretboard... :)[/quote]
I had a traumatising experience with some misaligned strings at a very vulnerable age. I still suffer nightmares accompanied with uncontrollable flatulence to this very day.

J.

[quote name='bremen' post='105762' date='Dec 18 2007, 09:38 AM']That's because your computer has your best interests at heart. It knows you don't need another Precision.

Unless it's another lovely fretless. mmm...[/quote]

:) you have a PM Mr Bremen
Chris

[quote name='Beedster' post='105742' date='Dec 18 2007, 08:54 AM']Link doesn't work for me?
Chris[/quote]

Try this one Chris - [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Unique-mid-70s-fretless-Fender-precision-custum-bass_W0QQitemZ330197144981"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Unique-mid-70s-fretl...emZ330197144981[/url]

Interestingly it seems to have Fender rather than the Schaller tuners you might expect to see with that serial number. And is it just me or does that strap button look in the wrong place?

[quote name='Musky' post='105776' date='Dec 18 2007, 10:09 AM']Try this one Chris - [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Unique-mid-70s-fretless-Fender-precision-custum-bass_W0QQitemZ330197144981"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Unique-mid-70s-fretl...emZ330197144981[/url]

Interestingly it seems to have Fender rather than the Schaller tuners you might expect to see with that serial number. And is it just me or does that strap button look in the wrong place?[/quote]

Cheers mate
Wouldn't go near that with a bargepole :) Too many dubious mods with not enough info either written or photgraphic for my liking.
Chris

Parts wise, this bass is worth more than £500.

Neck £250 - £300
Tuners £80
Scratchplate (ok, has been modded, but still) £50
Pickups (if orig) £80
Body £150

There's a tidy profit in this if it goes for that price. Hell, I'm even tempted and I've already spent £1,000 this week!

[quote name='Jebo1' post='105820' date='Dec 18 2007, 11:05 AM']Parts wise, this bass is worth more than £500.

Neck £250 - £300
Tuners £80
Scratchplate (ok, has been modded, but still) £50
Pickups (if orig) £80
Body £150

There's a tidy profit in this if it goes for that price. Hell, I'm even tempted and I've already spent £1,000 this week![/quote]

I'd agree if they were all functional/original. Bit of a risk if not.... :)
Chris

Hey, sometimes you have to take a risk! It's always a good bit of fun though :-)

I reckon you could pick it up, and then you get to check it over. I reckon it would be worth a go... But then, I would say that as my house is full of guitar projects in various states of disrepair! I've moved since you last came round, and the house looks like a bloody guitar shop. I'm currently putting together a perfect mid 60's garage band guitar and bass collection... Well, I've done it now.

Anyway, I'm a little off the subject. Err, I might even have a punt if I get drunk this afternoon.

[quote name='Jebo1' post='105848' date='Dec 18 2007, 11:52 AM']Hey, sometimes you have to take a risk! It's always a good bit of fun though :-)[/quote]

Agreed, it's the J-PUP that worries me, more specifically the route, and what might be under that pickguard. The horrific acts of wanton aggression that were perpetrated on Precisions in the '70s are notorius (I think that German guy on ebay has bought most of them and has clearly established some form of charitable refuge for abused Precisions, albeit in the guise of a business :) ). I've seen some routes that were clearly done by lumberjacks wiedling axes whilst pissed and blindfolded, and the pics of this particular bass seem to stay too far away away from this area in question for my liking! Also, how did the strings get so badly aligned? OK, could be a badly adjusted or even a badly retro-fitted bridge, but it could be a number of other things also (for example, someone's trying to sell a 70's P with a 'slightly warped neck' on the bay at the moment).
Given that you can pick up 70's Ps for a few hundred quid at the moment, I think it's a little too risky :huh:
Chris

He he, I understand. I'd still give it a go, and would pick it up (not buy over the net). Precisions (and all guitars) will pick up after xmas. I've been in the business for years, and you always see it. If you wanna bargain, buy before xmas!

My 60's Garage collection includes:

1963 Danelectro U2 Bass
1959 Danelectro U1 guitar
1967 Fender Coronado in Sunburst
1966 Fender 12 String
1966 Fender Jazz Bass
1965 Gibson Melodymaker.

They're all original, and all for sale at the moment.

I'm going to lend them my mates garage band and see what they come up with! Perhaps they'll be inspired by them!

[quote name='Jebo1' post='105868' date='Dec 18 2007, 12:32 PM']My 60's Garage collection includes:

1963 Danelectro U2 Bass
1959 Danelectro U1 guitar
1967 Fender Coronado in Sunburst
1966 Fender 12 String
1966 Fender Jazz Bass
1965 Gibson Melodymaker.

They're all original, and all for sale at the moment.

I'm going to lend them my mates garage band and see what they come up with! Perhaps they'll be inspired by them![/quote]

Wow, fantastic! I was trying to guess what an ultimate garage band collection might consist of, and figured Danelectro and Fender would have to be in there. Would have liked to have seen a Vox of some description in there as well though. :)

Good point, I think I also need a couple of 'no-names' in there. I really want a Teardrop bass, but no-one seems to want to sell me one yet. They're about $1,000 so if I wait long enough, the exchange rate should mean they're pretty much free :-)

I've got a few Hofners, a Musicmaster bass as well, so I'm getting there.

It's much nice than an 80's metal collection! haha!

I'll get some pics up after xmas.

Yeah, it's quite difficult to know were to stop really! [url="http://www.myrareguitars.com/1960guitars.html"]<a href="http://www.myrareguitars.com/1960guitars.html" target="_blank">http://www.myrareguitars.com/1960guitars.html[/url]</a> - not mine unfortunately.

A friend picked up a Phantom from the States (off Ebay) a couple of years ago for £400 delivered (albeit with a humbucker at the bridge), so there are bargains to be had.

[attachment=4186:Vox_Phantom.jpg]

Edited by Musky

Yeah, in my time I could have bought a Wyman and a Teardrop for about that but I decided against it. I now wish I had as they are rocketing up in value! Still, it's not like I'm going without in any way!

I'd really like a white one if possible. They play like planks, but that's part of the appeal I spose. The collecting gene is strong in me and I need to tone it down a bit.

What sort of stuff do you collect? Or are you one of those rare breed of music makers that can live with just one or two basses...?