Why become a member? ×

Just found this 70's P in the wrong section on eBay

GreeneKing

I don't really collect basses but still seem to have acquired 8. :)

I play in a 60's garage/garage punk band so I really ought to have something that fits the vibe, but the the only genuine 60's bass I have is a '68 4001S. I've got a Jolana Kolorbas and an Epi ET 285 from the 70's which sort of fit the image, but I actually use an Aria CSB300 for the band. Ugly as hell, but I figure which a bit of modifying will look quite similar to Italia's take on a Supro.

I'm still kicking myself for not bidding on a battered Burns Sonic bass that went for about £130 on the bay last year.

The ones that got away... :huh:

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='106345' date='Dec 19 2007, 09:15 AM']Yeah? Dish it!

What year? What colour?[/quote]

'79 natural. Needs a bit of work I think and she's gonna have trouble fitting in with the 3T S/Bs at first, but I'm sure it'll all work out. I'll post some pics as soon as
Cheers
Chris

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='106352' date='Dec 19 2007, 09:40 AM']Mint... looking forward to it![/quote]

Me too! To be honest, it's a bit of a shot in the dark, but having both rosewood and maple boards in fretted and rosewood board in fretless, I kinda wanted to complete the set. A lot of people say that maple boards don't sound all that great on a fretless and that they chew up very easily, but I've seen a lot of old Ibanez maple fretless boards in great condition and a lot of players swear by the sound. OK, the Ibbies were mostly active which might a be a factor in that sound, but we'll see I guess :)
Chris

[quote name='Jebo1' post='105868' date='Dec 18 2007, 12:32 PM']He he, I understand. I'd still give it a go, and would pick it up (not buy over the net). Precisions (and all guitars) will pick up after xmas. I've been in the business for years, and you always see it. If you wanna bargain, buy before xmas!

My 60's Garage collection includes:

1963 Danelectro U2 Bass
1959 Danelectro U1 guitar
1967 Fender Coronado in Sunburst
1966 Fender 12 String
1966 Fender Jazz Bass
1965 Gibson Melodymaker.

They're all original, and all for sale at the moment.

I'm going to lend them my mates garage band and see what they come up with! Perhaps they'll be inspired by them![/quote]

That's a great list, however, I think I have a guitar/amp that is possibly THE 60's garage band instrument! I've got a Sears Silvertone Amp-In-The Case guitar and amp, model number 1457 (it's the version that's sunburst with 2 lipstick pickups). It's an awesome guitar, really nice clean sounds, and the amp is surprisingly good, with a very warm tone. I'd highly recommend these combos to anyone interested in the old Dano/Sears guitars.