Why become a member? ×

Musicman Stingray

guybrush threepwood

I made a rather rash and impulsive purchase a couple of days ago; I was in a shop in Leeds trying out different basses, and after playing many Fenders, Sandbergs and an Ibanez ATK I picked up a Stingray. I've never played one before (I did have a cheap copy as my first bass, but that was terrible) and I was blown away by the feel, sound, articulation, build quality and, most of all, the range of tones available from that one pickup! It can be tight and snappy or warm and loose, simply depending on where you place your right hand, but it always maintains that incredible growl. Then add in the EQ and there's such a massive range of tones there. Also, the neck is quite fat, but [i]so[/i] comfortable and fast - it just fills the hand beautifully.

I hadn't planned on buying a bass that day... but well, it had to be done. :) I tried out 5 of them, including a five string, and a Sterling (which I didn't really like the feel of - the body was too small for me), and I picked my favourite.

After thinking that they were overpriced (as they look quite a 'simple' bass when compared with others in their price range), I am now a complete convert!

Anyway, sorry about the terrible iphone photo - a friend has my camera at the moment.
[attachment=57126:Stingray.jpg]

[quote name='guybrush threepwood' post='931656' date='Aug 21 2010, 09:29 AM']I made a rather rash and impulsive purchase a couple of days ago; I was in a shop in Leeds trying out different basses, and after playing many Fenders, Sandbergs and an Ibanez ATK I picked up a Stingray. I've never played one before (I did have a cheap copy as my first bass, but that was terrible) and I was blown away by the feel, sound, articulation, build quality and, most of all, the range of tones available from that one pickup! It can be tight and snappy or warm and loose, simply depending on where you place your right hand, but it always maintains that incredible growl. Then add in the EQ and there's such a massive range of tones there. Also, the neck is quite fat, but [i]so[/i] comfortable and fast - it just fills the hand beautifully.

I hadn't planned on buying a bass that day... but well, it had to be done. :lol: I tried out 5 of them, including a five string, and a Sterling (which I didn't really like the feel of - the body was too small for me), and I picked my favourite.

After thinking that they were overpriced (as they look quite a 'simple' bass when compared with others in their price range), I am now a complete convert!

Anyway, sorry about the terrible iphone photo - a friend has my camera at the moment.
[attachment=57126:Stingray.jpg][/quote]

Nice looking bass mate :)

Im guessing you were in PMT leeds??

(love the name by the way, big monkey island fan here haha)

:rolleyes:

[quote name='guybrush threepwood' post='931656' date='Aug 21 2010, 09:29 AM']...I was blown away by the feel, sound, articulation, build quality and, most of all, the range of tones available from that one pickup! It can be tight and snappy or warm and loose, simply depending on where you place your right hand, but it always maintains that incredible growl. Then add in the EQ and there's such a massive range of tones there. Also, the neck is quite fat, but [i]so[/i] comfortable and fast - it just fills the hand beautifully....[/quote]
That's it in a nutshell. Welcome to the fold. :)

I have to admit, yesterday I tried all sorts of high end kit. Including a Rickenbacker 4003, some Sadowsky Metro's and a few 'new' Laklands (and a second hand one).

There was a 2 band Ray hanging up, and ive never tried a 2 band.

You know what? It was the best instrument I played ALL day. Thats including the Metros.

The build quality was just outstanding. Amazing paint job, clean neck join, no problems with the frets, lightweight.

I loved it. The neck just felt 100% right.

If you ask me, EBMM are some of the highest quality mass produced instruments out there.

Looking at the back of the Metro basses, the plastic covering for the active electronics looked so 'wrong' and unclean for an instrument with a value of £1600-1700+ I just couldnt believe it.

Basschat gives the old Ray a fair bit of bashing, and they SHOULD hold their value a lot more than they do. I just think the build, sound, and feel along with that huge sound is something to be admired.

Edited by Musicman20

I may as well jump in here.

I bought a 3eq not long ago, now as much as I love the look, feel and playability....I just cant get a tone im really into.

However im pushing on with it and hopefully get what I want with some EQ tweaking.

Lovely basses these stingrays, however im now waiting for someone with an OLP to come on saying how they tried a million stingrays BUT the cheapest OLP or of course stingray copy was the best in the shop hahahahaha

munkonthehill-Lovely basses these stingrays, however im now waiting for someone with an OLP to come on saying how they tried a million stingrays BUT the cheapest OLP or of course stingray copy was the best in the shop hahahahaha

--------------------

Calling mcnash! :)

Edited by stingrayPete1977

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='931872' date='Aug 21 2010, 01:26 PM']munkonthehill-Lovely basses these stingrays, however im now waiting for someone with an OLP to come on saying how they tried a million stingrays BUT the cheapest OLP or of course stingray copy was the best in the shop hahahahaha

--------------------

Calling mcnash! :)[/quote]

McNash????????

So yeah, I once went to a shop and I tried out like 10 EBMM and a couple of bongos, but none matched the awesome power of the OLP I tried out. I bought it there and then. However though, I had to swap it for some yellow bentines and some cake eventually.

Truckstop

[quote name='Truckstop' post='931894' date='Aug 21 2010, 01:49 PM']So yeah, I once went to a shop and I tried out like 10 EBMM and a couple of bongos, but none matched the awesome power of the OLP I tried out. I bought it there and then. However though, I had to swap it for some yellow bentines and some cake eventually.

Truckstop[/quote]

sounds like a sound deal to me

[quote name='munkonthehill' post='931865' date='Aug 21 2010, 01:24 PM']I may as well jump in here.

I bought a 3eq not long ago, now as much as I love the look, feel and playability....I just cant get a tone im really into.

However im pushing on with it and hopefully get what I want with some EQ tweaking.

Lovely basses these stingrays, however im now waiting for someone with an OLP to come on saying how they tried a million stingrays BUT the cheapest OLP or of course stingray copy was the best in the shop hahahahaha[/quote]

someone calling me? :)

[quote name='guybrush threepwood' post='931877' date='Aug 21 2010, 01:28 PM']Hmm... I didn't get to try a 2EQ, as they only had 3s in the shop :)[/quote]

They are both nice. I wouldnt say the 3 is an upgrade, just more to it, and therefore slightly more modern sounding.

Personally, I can see a place for both of them.

Enjoy!

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='931889' date='Aug 21 2010, 01:44 PM']He is the OLP guy round here with lots of mods going on and prefers them to the one and only real Ray he ever played/owned!

mcnash are you out there?..........[/quote]

:)

I have only owned 1 Stingray, true. But played many! AND I love my Stingray, just for the record... m-key? :rolleyes:

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='932028' date='Aug 21 2010, 05:12 PM']There you are! Do you think your 2 band is smooth sounding compared to a 3 band?[/quote]

do I bite?

stay quiet?

b***cks, I'll bite! :lol:

well, not sure "smooth" is the word I'd use. The 2EQ seems "rounder" (probably not a better description! :) ), with the 3EQ being more "mids-happy".
It's really hard to describe. Go and try them, really... I find the 3EQ more versatile, yet the 2EQ has some fantastic sounds that I don't get quite right on a 3EQ. More "P-bass on steroids" like.

If I have time over the next couple of weeks or so I was thinking of trying a little something:

making clips with
1) OLP stock
2) OLP with SD pickup
3) OLP with SD pickup and SD 3EQ preamp
4) Stingray 2EQ

then posting them blind for people to listen and comment on, before I revealwhich bass was used for each. It'll probably be suboptimal as the Stingray has new strings on, and the OLPs have very old strings... but I like how they sound and I'm not going to change the strings to post clips here! :rolleyes:

Edited by mcnach

[quote name='guybrush threepwood' post='931656' date='Aug 21 2010, 09:29 AM']I made a rather rash and impulsive purchase a couple of days ago; I was in a shop in Leeds trying out different basses, and after playing many Fenders, Sandbergs and an Ibanez ATK I picked up a Stingray. I've never played one before (I did have a cheap copy as my first bass, but that was terrible) and I was blown away by the feel, sound, articulation, build quality and, most of all, the range of tones available from that one pickup! It can be tight and snappy or warm and loose, simply depending on where you place your right hand, but it always maintains that incredible growl. Then add in the EQ and there's such a massive range of tones there. Also, the neck is quite fat, but [i]so[/i] comfortable and fast - it just fills the hand beautifully.

I hadn't planned on buying a bass that day... but well, it had to be done. :) I tried out 5 of them, including a five string, and a Sterling (which I didn't really like the feel of - the body was too small for me), and I picked my favourite.

[attachment=57126:Stingray.jpg][/quote]

that's exactly what happened to me in 1984 and i've never looked back - here's the proof.....
this baby was in factory fresh condition when i bought it - all it needed was a bit of mojo, which i was happy to apply.
great choice - i hopy are both very happy together and that you never have a cross word without making up before bed time!!!