Why become a member? ×

My collection!

ped

Great to see everyone here on the new site. Here are some pics of my current collection:

Had this a few months now, imported for £700 second hand from japan. Simply fantastic, Bartolini leccy, Ash body and maple neck with Jacaranda fingerboard. Looks superb and plays wonderfully, extremely crisp action.

Vigier Passion Series III fretless 'Delta Metal' - having a U-Retro installed by my matey Mr. East as we speak. Simply superb!

Vigier Passion Series II fretted, carbon neck through and Marleaux electronics. My old fave. Crisp, supple, cozy, tight, clear, dependable and I love it!

Trace V4 1x15 combo and Line6 Bass Pod XT Pro. Love both to pieces, live I use the pod into the PA with some very subtle eq and compression and at home I like it through the trace with a touch of reverb. The Pod is fantastic if you spend the time playing with it to get the best from it.

Cheers everyone, thanks for looking! Comments welcome, although you have seen these before, right?!?!

ped

Thank you Mike! The Bacchus is completely standard, although I added the ashtray - they feel so 'right' under my hand! There is a pickup nestled below the cover. I have a bassmute (www.bassmute.com) on the way which I will be adding to the Jazz any day now, looking forward to it!

Cheers again
ped

Yes mate, this little animation tells all:

It allows muting in a variety of degrees so you can go from a slightly muted Tower of Power groove to some full on muted thump. I basically had money to burn (well.. not) and fancied trying one after reading some great reports. I have had good results with foam and so on but it can be inconsistent and the one bit I used which seemed about right I have lost somewhere. bet I find it any day now though...

Thanks mate, it was a lovely bass but the truss rod adjustment hex bolt came off shortly after I got it. It sounded superb - It is with Marleaux in germany at the moment, they are making a new neck and refinishing the whole bass. It might be a very light blue burst over the quilt this time, but we are yet to finalise the options. The neck had the most amazing birdseye effect on it.

Cheers
ped

Hello mate,

Thanks for the comments. I will keep you on file! I don't plan to sell any of these any time soon unfortunately. The U retro has really released the potential of the fretless. There was an awful lot of circuitry in the bas as standard and John agreed that it did very little. I have no idea how it would have sounded in the fretted bass as it was fitted with the excellent Marleaux pre.

I am still experimenting with strings on the fretless but really like the flats at the moment, they are so warm but with the top end on tap and the output of these pickups they sound very detailed and clear, too.

Cheers
ped!

Aww guys i'm going red. Thanks for all the lovely comments. I am a very happy and lucky chappie. Luke mate if you want to come round again and have a blast on anything let me know. I would like to try your Warwick!

Josh - lol :) pick yourself up young man!

Kiwi - yer gay

Ollie - thanks mate the Alembic was certainly a looker, but me and Steve agreed it was quite 'dark' sounding, and though I love the Q filter when there is one on each pickup, I found one filter a little limiting. Go on then Ollie, this is just for you:

Lowhand Mike - I put up my hand and confess to the cheesy lens flare! Couldn't resist, sorry. It does look like a lightsabre on stage though!

A Vigier was the first fretless bass I ever tried and despite the fact that I was uncomfortably aware that I didn't have a clue what I was doing on it and making some seriously out of tune noises, I loved the feel. Now that I sort of know what I'm doing I really want to play one again. I was extremely disapointed to see that the Vigier stand at the LGS only had fretted Excess Basses (in fact looking on their web site just now that seems to be the only bass they do now) The electronics on the one I tried were eccentric to say the least... I can imagine that the J-Retro has made a massive difference.

I agree they are very comfortable basses to play. Nicely shaped! I have heard from the man himself that the Passion and Arpege models are being stopped in favour of a brand new model soon, because some new equipment they have got makes it hard to manufacture them without pushing the price any higher.

I was a bit annoyed to see only the Excess model at the show, but I did very much like the look of teh Glover blue model with teh glock pre. however I think I was just a little overjoyed to see a bass which was even a little individual at the event.

You are right, the j-retro has opened up the bass to a whole new world of sounds. Before I could get a goo dmix of mellow sounds with flats to bright upbeat funk with rounds but this just expands both those areas, making it sound incredible and studio quiet which is a big pluss for moi. Feel free to come and have a play mate any time (well, not ANY time but u know!)

ped

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='4671' date='May 22 2007, 09:50 PM']Wow Ped, quite something. That Alembic really does something for me.

'Dark sounding' ? Interesting[/quote]

Hi matey

Yes it was quite funny because the lows seemed a little light to me but the bass itself was quite dark, heavy and full sounding. However, with the q filter I found myself cranking it right up to lift the tone a little but it seemed to bypass the sweet spot somehow. Here is a little sample showing the best sound I was able to get from it:

[url="http://www.frozencloudmusic.com/~chrishiscocks/Bass%20guitar%20samples/Alembic%20Elan%206%20-%20Her%20two%20moons.mp3"]http://www.frozencloudmusic.com/~chrishisc...two%20moons.mp3[/url]

Bugger I want it back now lol

Ta Peter

ped

[quote name='ped' post='4675' date='May 22 2007, 09:59 PM']Bugger I want it back now lol[/quote]
No you don't, I think she's the Naomi Campbell of the bass world - nice looking but she's demanding, there are dark aspects to her character and everyone's had a go on her.

Here are some more photos:

and another sound clip of me playing really boring scales but there's a combination of all the different pickup settings with the Q filter turned on and off.
[attachment=235:Alembic_samples.mp3]
Now get those donations in son, and sort the sponsorship out.