Why become a member? ×

Silverfoxnik's basses

silverfoxnik

[quote name='lukeward2004' post='106455' date='Dec 19 2007, 01:03 PM']Nice collection Nick - still loving that Lakland, played it at the last bash and if you ever decide to sell it, let me know first![/quote]
Cheers Luke!

That was good day.. Will do if I ever decide to sell it.. I must admit that I have considered what to do with the Lakland because the RBV is being used almost exclusively now and the Lakland is too good to have sitting around doing nothing.. I might trade it if the GAS strikes me for anything else?

Nik

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='104831' date='Dec 16 2007, 01:38 AM']Cheers Merton! I'm looking forward to meeting your Groove 5 at some point.. There were 2 for sale recently on Ebay and I was soooo tempted to bid for one of them. But with Xmas coming up I thought I'd better be sensible and hang onto the money... The RBV isn't that big to be honest, it just looks that way!! Hope all's well with you by the way?[/quote]

Not bad thanks Nik, all geared up for this thing they call "Christmas".. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaargh.

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='106661' date='Dec 19 2007, 07:28 PM']Cheers Luke!

That was good day.. Will do if I ever decide to sell it.. I must admit that I have considered what to do with the Lakland because the RBV is being used almost exclusively now and the Lakland is too good to have sitting around doing nothing.. I might trade it if the GAS strikes me for anything else?

Nik[/quote]

Hmmm..... Nope. Almost tempted. [i]Almost[/i] :)

[quote name='Merton' post='106728' date='Dec 19 2007, 09:29 PM']Not bad thanks Nik, all geared up for this thing they call "Christmas".. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaargh.

Hmmm..... Nope. Almost tempted. [i]Almost[/i] :huh:[/quote]
Hi Merton,

That's good news mate! Christmas is looming at long last, though I've tried to avoid it at all costs so far.. I wasn't trying to tempt you, though it's interesting to see that you can be [i]swayed[/i], even you! :)

And on the subject of temptation...

[i]"Lovely basses, Nik. As you know I had a Hondo II exactly the same. I won't tell you how much I sold it for. It'll be too tempting" [/i]

Cheers, paul, the! But best not to tell me as I might be equally[i] swayed[/i]...

• 2 months later...

[quote name='NickThomas' post='145888' date='Feb 24 2008, 10:21 AM']Nice collection Nik .... I was after a RBV a few years ago and couldn't find one anywhere. Awesome looking bass ... what bridge is it wearing?

edit: and don't you have any additions to this thread yet? lol[/quote]
Thanks Nick, though as you rightly say, there has been a change or two since the original post! You obviously don't miss a trick, sir! :)

Well, the DJ5 is now the proud possession of Basschat's WishICouldWalk and in return, I have his USA Fender Jazz v Deluxe, with EBS pre-amp. Must admit, I'm more than happy with the Jazz 5, especially since Bernie Goodfellow put the original pick ups back in it for me! It also came with a spare neck which I'm going to defret so I can indulge my fretless fantasy one day :huh:

As for the RBV, that bass feels like I've had it for years it's so comfortable to play and I just love the sound of it and the tonal variations you can get with the coil taps; quite similar to your G&L in fact..

It's wearing a Gotoh bridge that has a Fender 'badge' on it, done especially for the RBV range apparently, and it's a really chunky piece of kit.. When I got the bass, the saddle for the B string wasn't working and needed replacing..Amazingly, owen (who is a true gent) sent me a replacement so it's good as new now!

BTW, are you going to the Bass Bash next month Nick?

Nik

[quote name='Stag' post='145916' date='Feb 24 2008, 11:19 AM']I actually really like the Hondo the most?

Is that odd?[/quote]
Not odd, just uniquely discerning I would say.. :) Thanks anyway; my mum would be pleased as she bought it for me when I was knee high to an Ampeg 8x10!

P.S. will post some pics of the Fender Jazz later....

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='145918' date='Feb 24 2008, 11:23 AM']BTW, are you going to the Bass Bash next month Nick?

Nik[/quote]

I really can't commit to that yet Nik . Got a wedding 3 weekends after that and one of those weekends is spent in Dublin. Just depends on if the organisational side of things is up to target. Fingers X'd . You'll be among the first to know coz I might jump in with you fellas in the minibus if there's room :)

Nick.

• 1 year later...

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='561861' date='Aug 6 2009, 11:52 AM']I used to run through a pair of D210XLT's - awesome cabs.

If it wasn't for the fact that they weigh 69lbs each, I still would![/quote]
I know what you mean; this Eden stuff is heavy! But sound wise, I'm loving it... :)

Nik, I'm really loving the Wal, the BC Rich and the Lakland. A couple of interesting points; haven't played a Pro II in years and have serious GAS for one so was dismayed to hear about the neck dive. That's something I can no longer do due to my neck problems, so sadly it seems a Pro II may have to be removed from my GAS list. Also the Lakland you describe as being very light; I was actually interested in one they had on Promenade Music's stand at Bass Day last year but upon picking it up found it weighed a ton (almost as much as the last RBV I tried :) ). I guess they probably vary a lot. Any idea how much yours weighs?

[quote name='4000' post='564174' date='Aug 9 2009, 02:48 PM']Nik, I'm really loving the Wal, the BC Rich and the Lakland. A couple of interesting points; haven't played a Pro II in years and have serious GAS for one so was dismayed to hear about the neck dive. That's something I can no longer do due to my neck problems, so sadly it seems a Pro II may have to be removed from my GAS list. Also the Lakland you describe as being very light; I was actually interested in one they had on Promenade Music's stand at Bass Day last year but upon picking it up found it weighed a ton (almost as much as the last RBV I tried :rolleyes: ). I guess they probably vary a lot. Any idea how much yours weighs?[/quote]
Hi Shaun,

Thanks!! The Pro basses with the so-called 'cricket bat' headstock do have quite a bit of neck-dive but I never really notice it to be honest, but that's probably because the RBV is a heavy bass as well, so I'm kind of used to that weighty feeling at gigs.. As i always say, the trade-off with the Wal and the RBV is the sound, which I really love..

Glad you're liking the Eagle as well; that is relatively light and balances perfectly I'm pleased to say and it sounds lovely too!

Sadly, I don't have the Lakland DJ5 anymore; I traded it early last year for the red Fender Jazz 5 in my latest photo.. It was a lot lighter than the RBV and the Wal, probably by 1lb or 1.5 lbs I reckon, which is quite a lot.

I think you're right about the variety in weight of most brands of basses - there's actually quite a wide variation with Wals too so you never know, there might be a Wal Pro out there that's perfect for you! :)

Nik

I hope so Nik! Must admit that the Customs I've tried have varied hugely; mine (walnut facings) was about 9lbs but I've played some real boat anchors.

The last RBV I saw I picked up and immediately put down again; the thought of the chiropracter's bill terrified me! :)

Cheers!

The Lakland's long since gone but my old Hondo Ricky clone is still here..never gets used mind, but it's still here.. 31 years and counting!

Shaun; the RBVs are heavy but I'm used to and can cope with these heavy basses for some reason.. Mind over matter I think!! :)

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='566418' date='Aug 12 2009, 12:06 AM']Cheers!

The Lakland's long since gone but my old Hondo Ricky clone is still here..never gets used mind, but it's still here.. 31 years and counting!

Shaun; the RBVs are heavy but I'm used to and can cope with these heavy basses for some reason.. Mind over matter I think!! :)[/quote]

Nik, my two spinal disc prolapses mean I can't anymore unfortunately, which is why I had to sell my Alembic. I have one rule now; nothing over 9lbs.

[quote]Glad you're liking the Eagle as well; that is relatively light and balances perfectly I'm pleased to say and it sounds lovely too![/quote]

I'll second this - my Eagle is the lightest of my basses, and is a fantastic player!

They really do break through the misconception that BC Rich's are all silly points, and flat sounds.

Cheers guys!

I thought you were a 100% Staus man OTPJ?? Surely no room for a Wal in that set up.... :)

Shaun - just reading 'spinal disc prolapses' feels painful, so I can only imagine what it must actually be like.. I'm amazed that you can still play at all with a bass around your shoulders??

Gus - Bernard Edwards used an Eagle for a while, which says it all IMO!

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='569896' date='Aug 15 2009, 01:30 PM']Shaun - just reading 'spinal disc prolapses' feels painful, so I can only imagine what it must actually be like.. I'm amazed that you can still play at all with a bass around your shoulders??[/quote]

That's why the Alembic went. Broke my heart as I'd waited 20-odd years to have one built. Still, there's plenty worse than me; haven't been faced with surgery yet so something is still working. I can still bash it out onstage; it's the next few days that are the killer!

[quote name='4000' post='572228' date='Aug 17 2009, 10:18 PM']That's why the Alembic went. Broke my heart as I'd waited 20-odd years to have one built. Still, there's plenty worse than me; haven't been faced with surgery yet so something is still working. I can still bash it out onstage; it's the next few days that are the killer![/quote]

That's a real shame.. but good to always see the positive side!