Why become a member? ×

Promethean owners...

gafbass02

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='928281' date='Aug 18 2010, 01:33 AM']Well it's interesting you asked, because I plugged the prom head into the MB speakers and it sounded awesome, the MB head and the Prom one have slightly different sounds, but but once connected to larger speakers you can tell just how powerful and hi-fi this amp can be, I mean it is awesome as it is in it's small 1x10 combo but it does compromise a lot on the low side of things whereas when you let it breath through a bigger set of cones it does perform a lot better. All in all I am more than pleased, and thank you for suggesting it to me, originally I thought it was a bit dear, but then I went to try one and I had to get it.[/quote]

No problems! I thought it might make a pretty cool mini combo/fully powered amp all in one.

I must admit if I wasnt on the Stingray GAS id be getting one of these.

UPDATE:

im stunned at the response and efficiency of Thomann, despite making lots of Clarkson style German efficiency jokes im really chuffed; Ive never felt so well looked after by a company before. Constant emails and texts and super fast and convienent delivery. My extension cab took one day to arrive and is just FAB cant wait to partner it with the new combo when it arrives. (Please God let it work!) They have already messaged me today once to say they got the old one and again to say they have shipped its replacement.
So im sitting on a very tasty OBBM jack to female jack lead i ordered for it ( so i can sit the head on the top) and the extension cab and the case, now all i need is the combo!!

When my BFB midget T arrives im gonna be a very stack happy chappy! (now i just hope my band survives!!..the bandleaders, Trev and Suze were a couple ...yo ucan guess whats happened so it could be dicey times for loungefly, b*st*rds, just when i get my rig sorted!!!!)

Im hoping the promethean ext cab and the midget go well together cause imagine that as a lightweight powerhouse mini stack! sweeeeet!!

Well, just done an afternoon gig at the first Darwen Jazz & Blues festival, and the little Promethean performed brilliantly. The venue was the new 3 in 1 Bar, dedicated to live music etc. The room was for about 80-110 people absolute maximum, ended up with about 50 in the room I think. Not a massive venue, but big enough. The room was quite lively, not the easiest to hear yourself in. I propped the Promethean up against the back wall and used a Trace Elliot BLX extension speaker just for a bit more headroom. Played the gig with my shortie SX J-bass fretless, and the tone absolutely kicked!

The amp had no noise at all, and volume in buckets with a strong and punchy tone as you'd expect for a 2x10 setup. The J-bass has a quiet output, so I drove the input and master gains at about 5.30 ish. The EQ was the real life saver here, as I pushed the lower and mid mids to get a much louder and direct tone that really cut through. There was no distortion, no hiss, no performance issues at all - interestingly the guitarist and keyboardist had issues with their amps phasing! All were running from the same feed and the Promethean didn't bat an eyelid.

The real bonus was that at the end of gig I had someone coming over to see just what was the little amp was that was filling the whole room with bass! It was a nice compliment really, because on stage the sound was difficult to make out. But from the admirers point of view, he said the bass really was bassy, loud, articulate and easy to hear! I think I persuaded him to buy one :) I've recorded the gig, so it will interesting to hear how the bass sounded from out front.

• 2 weeks later...

Yep! No and yes. And sadly mine has had to go back (long story) gutted. But if any other promethean owners fancy buying the male to female jack I had made by obbm for it gimmie a shout! Let's you put the head on top on the combo cabinet. Much better than slotting in the back. Esp when it's on top of the ext cab. (which is awesome btw!)

Re. class D amps and hiss, my Acoustic Image Clarus has a noticeable hiss through my EA wizzy cab, but the hiss is almost inaudible through my old 1x15", so the high end response of the speaker makes a huge difference. Personally, it's never bothered me, since the XLR out is dead quiet, and the hiss from the power amp is pretty insignificant in a band context.

Cheers. It was blimmin scary! I think the MMR may have brought it on. She's not so bad during the day but very tired and clingy and fragile, and kinda bad at balancing! Trouble is it's actually contagious so she has to stay home with me, (childcare have a younger baby) which is costing me a fortune :-(
(clue to the promethean return!!) nothing exciting!

That's why my post count has gone up rather this week, I'm trying to filter out ceebeebies (Cerrie is hot though!)

• 7 months later...

Reviving an old thread - I've just received my Promethean combo and guess what - it hisses!!

Thing is it doesn't seem volume related at all - the gain and master settings don't appear to have any effect on the level of hiss - it sounds like psu interference to me?? At least the plus is that at gigi volumes it'll be inaudible.

So, should I send it back?

Any comments?

[quote name='gafbass02' post='1223139' date='May 7 2011, 01:05 PM']Any plans to record it miked?[/quote]

No, I always record DI.

Tried it in another house today to see if there was any mains borne interference. No real difference.

I'm guessing it's typical for this amp - I can't A/B it with another as I'm in the middle of rural France but from what I've read mines not a real bad one. I'll see how it sounds at it's first gig in couple of weeks - plugged into my Warwick 4*10. Hopefully it'll be loud enough ??

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1224158' date='May 8 2011, 03:00 PM']I played a gig where a 4x10 was total overkill last night. Im thinking of picking one of these up....but also thinking a nice 1x12 cab would be more suitable![/quote]

I can't imagine it being overkill with our drummer - but I agree maybe a single speaker cab would be nicer.

I like the look of the Promethean 1*15 (if you look at my sig you'll see I have a Nemesis 1*15 which I can't recommend enough - love it!) but I already have the 4*10 so I'll take it along and see.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='927271' date='Aug 17 2010, 10:12 AM']EBS - I know what you mean about the whole Class D thing. I sort-of feel the same way. The Acoustic Image head I owned sounded great, but there was no body or heft to the notes.[/quote]

Although I use a LG 1000 for reason of portability and economy, I know what you mean. From playing around with class D stuff in other audio applications than bass amps I just wonder if it's not that they are so clean as to be perceptibly quiet? Distortion tends to make things seem louder, even when it's subtle distortion. All pretty arcane stuff.

Anyway, hiss report: None I've noticed from my LG. Lots from my Line 6 Lowdown, even at idle. Then again, I've never really liked the Lowdown. I just have it by my desk as a practice amp, for which it's ok.

I'm watching this thread with interest. Thinking of picking up a combo in the next couple of months.... despite the potential hiss issues!
Couple of questions...
Someone in the thread mentioned that the next time they might buy 2 x 110 promethean extension cabs to go with the combo. Does this mean the combo can run 2 extension cabs... which would mean it can go below 4 ohms?
Next question.
Does anyone have the IBANEZ P5210 (the 2x10)? That would be pretty cool for getting the combo up nice and high - I like to have speakers close to my head as possible. Plus it should move some air (3x10 as opposed to 2x10).
At the moment I use 2 1x12 cabs, so I reckon I'd need at least 3x10 cabs to get near to the same volume levels.

EDIT -

Just realized the 2x10 is a combo.... anyone have it? PHWOOOOARRR!!!!

Edited by Jesso

[quote name='Jesso' post='1228029' date='May 11 2011, 08:52 PM']I'm watching this thread with interest. Thinking of picking up a combo in the next couple of months.... despite the potential hiss issues!
Couple of questions...
Someone in the thread mentioned that the next time they might buy 2 x 110 promethean extension cabs to go with the combo. Does this mean the combo can run 2 extension cabs... which would mean it can go below 4 ohms?
Next question.
Does anyone have the IBANEZ P5210 (the 2x10)? That would be pretty cool for getting the combo up nice and high - I like to have speakers close to my head as possible. Plus it should move some air (3x10 as opposed to 2x10).
At the moment I use 2 1x12 cabs, so I reckon I'd need at least 3x10 cabs to get near to the same volume levels.

EDIT -

Just realized the 2x10 is a combo.... anyone have it? PHWOOOOARRR!!!![/quote]

As far as I'm aware you can only run 1 extension cab with the P5110 and I think the P5210 might be running at 4 Ohms already which would mean you couldn't hook up an extension cab.
This "hiss" issue is fairly rare it would seem and any reasonable retailer would replace or refund if it cropped up, never happened with mine :)

I'm not sure if the P5110 and 1X10 cab or the P5210 would be a match for the overall sound of your 2 X 1X12 set up, but I replaced a single 1X12 with the little 1X10 combo and I don't regret it one bit. I guess there is naturally less weight to the sound, but you can dial it back in with the EQ plus the sheer "swing-round-the-head-one-handedly-ability" of the little bugger is insane considering power of it!

Cheers,
Eude