Why become a member? ×

Promethean owners...

gafbass02

[quote name='barneythedog' post='1223135' date='May 7 2011, 01:01 PM']Reviving an old thread - I've just received my Promethean combo and guess what - it hisses!!

Thing is it doesn't seem volume related at all - the gain and master settings don't appear to have any effect on the level of hiss - it sounds like psu interference to me?? At least the plus is that at gigi volumes it'll be inaudible.

So, should I send it back?

Any comments?[/quote]

I had a similar problem with mine. The cure? A top quality lead is all it took to fix it. Try it, you might be pleasantly suprised.

:)

[quote name='eude' post='1228092' date='May 11 2011, 09:47 PM']As far as I'm aware you can only run 1 extension cab with the P5110 and I think the P5210 might be running at 4 Ohms already which would mean you couldn't hook up an extension cab.
This "hiss" issue is fairly rare it would seem and any reasonable retailer would replace or refund if it cropped up, never happened with mine :)

I'm not sure if the P5110 and 1X10 cab or the P5210 would be a match for the overall sound of your 2 X 1X12 set up, but I replaced a single 1X12 with the little 1X10 combo and I don't regret it one bit. I guess there is naturally less weight to the sound, but you can dial it back in with the EQ plus the sheer "swing-round-the-head-one-handedly-ability" of the little bugger is insane considering power of it!

Cheers,
Eude[/quote]

Cool thanks for that.
The ibanez site says 500 watts at 4 ohms... which would suggest that it's a 4 ohm deal, and you can't run an extension off it.
Still though, a 500 watt 4 ohm 2x10 should be pretty handy! Kinda defeats the purpose of the tiny wee 1x10 bugger though don't it?
Hmmmmmm....

[quote name='Jesso' post='1228118' date='May 11 2011, 10:07 PM']Kinda defeats the purpose of the tiny wee 1x10 bugger though don't it?
Hmmmmmm....[/quote]

Ah, well it does and it doesn't, depends on your requirements.
I needed something small enough to use as a REAL practice amp but with enough baws to play smallish gigs without PA support and to use as a stage monitor for bigger gigs.
I'll probably look to get the 1X10 ext cab once I get into a band down here in the big smoke but for now it's absolutely perfect :)

Eude

[quote name='eude' post='1228130' date='May 11 2011, 10:12 PM']Ah, well it does and it doesn't, depends on your requirements.
I needed something small enough to use as a REAL practice amp but with enough baws to play smallish gigs without PA support and to use as a stage monitor for bigger gigs.
I'll probably look to get the 1X10 ext cab once I get into a band down here in the big smoke but for now it's absolutely perfect :)

Eude[/quote]

So say a gig in a big room, big stage, 400 people. Would you be comfortable enough using it as your stage monitor DI'ing out to P.A?

[quote name='Jesso' post='1228165' date='May 11 2011, 10:34 PM']So say a gig in a big room, big stage, 400 people. Would you be comfortable enough using it as your stage monitor DI'ing out to P.A?[/quote]

400 might be pushing it a bit with a single 1x10 but it worked fine on one gig I played in one of the Speigaltents.
Must've been about 200 folks there and the sound guy had me turn down as I was messing with the front of house sound, he thought I was using the MarkBass rig behind my little Promethean :)

Eude

Just used my new Promethean at a gig tonight for the first time - my word! Who'd have thought that such a little box could produce a huge sound? Loads of bottom end and mids for onstage monitoring - we used a PA aswell. The lads in the band were commenting on how clean it sounded at high volumes and they never usually notice my playing at all! Great buy - already thinking about getting the extension cabinet.

[quote name='Johnston' post='1229120' date='May 12 2011, 06:19 PM']Did you get it anywhere local or ordered in??[/quote]

I wish I could find one locally! I ordered it plus the carrybag from Thomann. You're more than welcome to come and try it out if you're thinking of buying one?

[quote name='Johnston' post='1229738' date='May 13 2011, 10:25 AM']Thinking about it. But I think with the kid on the way that one will be blocked by 'er indoors :) :)

Nah I just thought you possibly found a decent place over here that actually kept something worth while. I should really think things through before I type :lol: :D[/quote]

I don't think there's that many folks stocking these unfortunately.
It's the same problem all over though, only the big name bits sit on the shop floor, Ampeg, Peavey, Ashdown, Hartke (in some cases) and now MarkBass - Absolutely Everywhere!
I've gotten used to buying kit blind, or should that be deaf...
Either way, if it ain't right you can send it right back :P

Eude

I'm waiting for mine to arrive from Thomann. Looking forward to downsizing for a while. I'll report back after the weekends gigs.... 2 weddings 100 - 150 people each. Gunna use the amp on it's own with no extension cab with just a touch of FOH support.

[quote name='Jesso' post='1235535' date='May 18 2011, 12:19 PM']I'm waiting for mine to arrive from Thomann. Looking forward to downsizing for a while. I'll report back after the weekends gigs.... 2 weddings 100 - 150 people each. Gunna use the amp on it's own with no extension cab with just a touch of FOH support.[/quote]

Looking forward to hearing how you get on dude :)
Eude

Well it arrived today.

First impressions:

Well made, feels like a very good quality bit of kit. I'm actually a bit baffled by how come it's so cheap.... I mean, the head is €485 on thomann. The combo is only €164 more... which in anyones book is a great price for a quality mini cab! Add another €10 and you can have the cover too bringing the total up to €659.
That's assuming that the head is as good as say, a LM3, which on it's own costs (all thomann prices) €666. The very cheapest markbass cab you can buy is €539... ok ok I know it's a 12 inch but if markbass did a 10 the same size as the promethean combo you can be sure it would be at least 400 euros! So I'm impressed so far. This could easily have been priced a few hundred euros more.

Sound wise I prefer it to the LM2 I had for a while. It's very hard to get a bad sound out of it. It's quite smooth and forgiving. The vibe control doesn't sound fake, but rather nice and usable.

Next to my eden WT550 I can't say it's any worse. Probably not as hifi or with as powerful EQ, but just a different flavor. Not as complex or revealing, but the lack of complication is actually a blessing sometimes!
This is my first impression mind you, I've yet to A/B them.

It feels similar me in sound and EQ of the Aguilar 500SC. But, like the eden, the aggie was actually quite big. This thing is tiny. I've never seen an F1 in the flesh, but I wouldn't say it could be much bigger.

I'll be gigging it this weekend, in pretty big rooms to 150 ish people. I'm going to use it as a stage monitor and use the DI out to the P.A.
I'll also have it sitting on an aggie GS112 to see what it's like running that too at 4ohms, but I'll try it on it's own 1st.

I haven't turned it up fully yet (don't want to wake the baby!) so I'm very interested to see how quickly the sound gets compressed cos of that little box.

The bag is great, but for some reason I thought it was an ingenious design where the combo didn't actually have to be taken out of the bag... as in the front of the bag would fold back to reveal the speaker. Ah well you can't have everything! Would be nice though if we're talking ultimate in hassle free bass amp solutions not to have to take the combo out of it's bag!

Oh, and my combo is dead quiet. After it was on for a while I heard what sounded like a laptop fan, hardly audible. No noticable hiss whatsoever.

[quote name='Jesso' post='1242401' date='May 23 2011, 10:41 PM']Well it arrived today.

First impressions:

Well made, feels like a very good quality bit of kit. I'm actually a bit baffled by how come it's so cheap.... I mean, the head is €485 on thomann. The combo is only €164 more... which in anyones book is a great price for a quality mini cab! Add another €10 and you can have the cover too bringing the total up to €659.
That's assuming that the head is as good as say, a LM3, which on it's own costs (all thomann prices) €666. The very cheapest markbass cab you can buy is €539... ok ok I know it's a 12 inch but if markbass did a 10 the same size as the promethean combo you can be sure it would be at least 400 euros! So I'm impressed so far. This could easily have been priced a few hundred euros more.

Sound wise I prefer it to the LM2 I had for a while. It's very hard to get a bad sound out of it. It's quite smooth and forgiving. The vibe control doesn't sound fake, but rather nice and usable.

Next to my eden WT550 I can't say it's any worse. Probably not as hifi or with as powerful EQ, but just a different flavor. Not as complex or revealing, but the lack of complication is actually a blessing sometimes!

It feels similar me in sound and EQ of the Aguilar 500SC. But, like the eden, the aggie was actually quite big. This thing is tiny. I've never seen an F1 in the flesh, but I wouldn't say it could be much bigger.

I'll be gigging it this weekend, in pretty big rooms to 150 ish people. I'm going to use it as a stage monitor and use the DI out to the P.A.
I'll also have it sitting on an aggie GS112 to see what it's like running that too at 4ohms, but I'll try it on it's own 1st.

I haven't turned it up fully yet (don't want to wake the baby!) so I'm very interested to see how quickly the sound gets compressed cos of that little box.

The bag is great, but for some reason I thought it was an ingenious design where the combo didn't actually have to be taken out of the bag... as in the front of the bag would fold back to reveal the speaker. Ah well you can't have everything! Would be nice though if we're talking ultimate in hassle free bass amp solutions not to have to take the combo out of it's bag!

Oh, and my combo is dead quiet. After it was on for a while I heard what sounded like a laptop fan, hardly audible. No noticable hiss whatsoever.[/quote]

Yet another great review....the fact its a quality build is exactly whats tempting me.

I think it ticks every box for me...but I darent pull the trigger!

Please let me know how it goes gig wise.

In fact, anyone else gigging this?!

[quote name='Jesso' post='1242401' date='May 23 2011, 10:41 PM']Well it arrived today.

First impressions:

Oh, and my combo is dead quiet. After it was on for a while I heard what sounded like a laptop fan, hardly audible. No noticable hiss whatsoever.[/quote]

Hey dude,
glad it's all working out nicely for you :)
You'll probably find that you won't need the GS112 when you're using it as a stage monitor at your 150ish people gig, but it'll certainly add some nice weight to the sound.
I sold on my GS112 before I took delivery of my Promethean, would've been nice to have a chance at trying that combination out.
Looking forward to hearing how you get on.

Eude

Glad you like it!

[quote name='Jesso' post='1242401' date='May 23 2011, 10:41 PM']The bag is great[/quote]

I wouldn't give the bag a pat on the back yet. IME, it's a pain in the arse to lug about, and the steel loops will eventually bend and make it unsafe to use.

...unless they've since revised the design.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='1242612' date='May 24 2011, 08:53 AM']Glad you like it!

I wouldn't give the bag a pat on the back yet. IME, it's a pain in the arse to lug about, and the steel loops will eventually bend and make it unsafe to use.

...unless they've since revised the design.[/quote]

Yeah, I find the bag to be a bit of a nuisance too, to be honest. Considering going for a Silverstone Amp cover or something similar with a little slot in it for the top handle - makes more sense to me.

[quote name='acidbass' post='1243492' date='May 24 2011, 09:20 PM']Considering going for a Silverstone Amp cover[/quote]
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=115715"]Are[/url] [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=120210"]you[/url] [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=29270"]sure[/url]...?

I'm getting on ok with the cover so far. I mean, it was €10! Can't go wrong really. I would like a handle though... thinking of having it modified by a local guy who fixes my shoes/bags etc.
Meanwhile, the amp sounded very good in rehearsal. Just jamming with a drum machine though today, so I'm still wondering how it's going to keep up with our drummer.
Great tight sound out of it. Hooked it up to a GS112 at reasonable volumes and it's going to make a great ministack if the combo isn't enough for me on it's own. The head sounds very sweet through just the GS112 btw. Gunna do some A/Bing between my GP7 trace, eden WT550 and the promethean over the next couple of days..... but I'm pretty sure the Eden is going to be sold pretty soon. Not cos it's any worse, but the convenience of the promethean wins for me.

• 2 weeks later...

Right.
So I've been gigging the little promethean for the last couple of weekends... so about 5 or 6 gigs then.
Firstly, who-ever said about the case was dead right, it's crap. So I got the local shoe repair guy to modify it.

The amp it's self is performing well. I've been seeing some clipping on the output light in bigger rooms when running the combo with an extension cab (see below) but it could just be that I have to fiddle around with the gain/master a bit to get max head room. I didn't notice any compressing in the sound, I just happened to see the overload light on the amp.

I'm now running the GS112 in it's natural position, instead of on it's side, which seems to sound better.
It's a nice setup, cos the ibanez is tilted up slightly so I can hear myself very clearly. Soundwise, I'm still happier with the promethean than I was with the markbass LM2. It sounds in the same ballpark, but with a bit more life to it.
As a stand alone combo, it's fantastic, I don't know if theres much else out there can can compare to it in terms of sound/weight/size. The fact that you can just whip out the amp its-self is a big bonus over the markbass gear.
In small rooms, or in rehearsals, the combo on it's own is enough for me... but I wouldn't describe my band as horribly loud.
In bigger rooms, with the GS112 it does sound like a proper bass amp. I do notice that it feels a bit "smaller" than using 2 x GS112 cabs, but it's good in a way cos it keeps the on-stage volume down a bit. If I wasn't using FOH though, it wouldn't be enough for me.
So all in all, a good sounding well thought out bit of kit. I'll be keeping mine, even if it gets relegated from gigging in the bigger rooms down the line a bit. It's a very handy thing to own, and even thought I bought it new, I think it's pretty good value for money.

Fantastic mate, glad you're experience has been the same as mine.
1. the Promethean is amazing, cannot be matched for the money and ain't going anywhere soon!
2. the bag is sh*te :)

Enjoy :)

Eude

• 1 month later...

Hope no one minds me bumping up this old thread but I am quite interested in using the p110c extension cabinet as a standalone cab once I'm shot of my 115, still to be driven by a warwick pro-fet 300w (which is heavier than the cab :) ).

I was going to get an eden ex112 but have measured up the dimension and it takes up a little less floor space (which means I can fit it perfectly in to a corner of my room, those few inches make a difference!) is a chunk lighter, has the nice tilt stand and the head can screw on to the back although I don't see myself buying one of those anytime soon.
It seems to be very different to the combo speaker though, for starters it's a neo, it's got a massive port at the bottom so should I expect a better low end? Coming from a 115 I'm a bit worried about lack of depth which is why I wanted the 112 but it just seems like a neater purchase. I suppose I don't mind as long it's not "thin".

Don't know when I'll get a chance to try it out, I'm going to the bass gallery soon for a set up but it'll be right at the end of the day and would be lucky if they had it anyway.

Cheers

Anybody with a Promethean 110 combo and the 110 extension speaker? I would like to know the difference between the ceramic speaker in the combo and the neo on the extension. I've tried the combo and loved it. I'm thinking in getting a extension to use with my head for the smaller gigs but i would like to know if it will sound as good (and as low) as the ceramic version.
Cheers