Why become a member? ×

Best 2nd hand active 5 string?

nash

[quote name='Mcgiver69' post='924817' date='Aug 14 2010, 12:33 PM']Good lord I can't believe none of you have even mentioned this beauty.

Human Base Roxy B5, you can get this one brand new from Thomann for £944

I'm not going to start raving about it and will let Ed Friedland do the talking.

[/quote]

Agreed absolutely on this one. Still planning on getting one of these myself. :)

[quote name='Flanker' post='921260' date='Aug 11 2010, 08:27 AM']I'm selling an AtelierZ 5 string for under 1 k and it's easily in the top quality ranks.

I'm comparing with basses I've owned including Sadowsky,Celinder,Skjold,Nordstrand etc...

It's pretty heavy but if that isn't an issue for you there's no better IMO.[/quote]

For the money this is the best 5 string Jazz you could buy. Its a steal.

[quote name='nash' post='920321' date='Aug 10 2010, 08:38 AM']....but I think I'd prefer a more trad shape like a Jazz. I've always been prone to Leo Fender shapes incl Musicman and G&L....[/quote]
Fender/MM type basses are still the major sellers around the world so in order to take these companies on and win you have to make a pretty good bass, and that's what most of the smaller bass manufacturers do.

All the basses recommended so far are great instruments. People will generally recommend the bass they play because they have already been through this process and have ended up playing the bass that suits them. I can tell you that my Lakland out plays every other bass that I've tried but you’ve got to try one for yourself. If the bass “speaks” to you then that’s the one.

What would Leo be designing if he started out now? It wouldn't be another Fender or a Musicman. I reckon it'd be something pretty close to a Lakland.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='921476' date='Aug 11 2010, 12:06 PM']I went on a huge '5 String that still looks almost traditional' and the best I found were:

Stingray 5 - 2008 onwards have the nicer (IMO) warmer Alnico pups. Sorry to disagree with OTPJ, but im all for warmth and traditional tone. I think this reflects on why the pre-08s (aprt from the early ones) dont sell so well secondhand. That, and the fact that most people seem to ignore the more popular and traditional colours, so when they sell it on, they dont get as much back. You should be able to pick up a second hand 08-onward Ray 5 (single H) for under £1K, and it will, well should be, in fantastic condition. Pre-08 Rays go for SILLY money, and are bargains IMO. In a few years, Rays will come back into fashion and prices will change accordingly.[/quote]

AFAIK the [i]early[/i] Ray 5s had an Alnico unit, too. Don't know when it changed to Ceramic, though.
IIRC 5s started manufacture in '87/'88 (?) My 1990 fretless 5 is Alnico [b]without[/b] a phantom coil for single coil mode...
Someone else may know more.
The change back to Alnico makes sense, as it fits in with the current line up;

Stingrays- Alnico
Sterlings- Ceramic
Bongos- Neodymium

Bongo 5 for £1k? Get one!

I wouldnt buy a fender as the ones i have experienced dont have the best attention to detail in the quality. On mine there was a gap in the neck joint, the input socket would never stay on and on my housemates his saddles occasionaly collapse.

These were both american deluxe models which are supposed to be top of the range so u would expect decent quality control.

I would suggest a ray 5 or a warwick :)

Shuker's should be amazing too