Why become a member? ×

Epoxy fretboard coating in the UK?

wateroftyne

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='102435' date='Dec 10 2007, 10:35 PM']Hello!

In anyone aware of any UK luthiers who do fretboard coating? There's a few in the US, but I don't want to send my neck overseas if I don't have to...

Ta![/quote]

How does epoxy finished last with roundwounds? I guess it still marks?

I've never heard of this treatment. I've used epoxy for truss rods & graphite reinforcing, but I should imagine its quite hard to apply to a radiused fingerboard, as the epoxy 'settles' and will run away from the centre of the fingerboard. Do this make any sense?! I know what I'm trying to say!

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='102452' date='Dec 10 2007, 10:48 PM']Hello Chop!

I know exactly what you mean... that's why I want to leave it to someone less cack-handed than me. :)

All is revealed here: [url="http://www.woodwiz.com/epoxy/"]http://www.woodwiz.com/epoxy/[/url][/quote]

WoT,

The only person I'd trust one of your beauties to is Chris May at Overwater. Not too far away and a nice day out for you and your lass and the little'un.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='102435' date='Dec 10 2007, 10:35 PM']Hello!

In anyone aware of any UK luthiers who do fretboard coating? There's a few in the US, but I don't want to send my neck overseas if I don't have to...

Ta![/quote]
KGB Music in Birkenhead. I know because I used to work there and did these very jobs. They made the fingerboard sing at the same time as being indestructible.

[quote name='steve-soar' post='102483' date='Dec 10 2007, 11:28 PM']KGB Music in Birkenhead. I know because I used to work there and did these very jobs. They made the fingerboard sing at the same time as being indestructible.[/quote]
Any tips on how to do this & what to use? I'm going to be defretting my Peavey 5 and fancy having a shot at epoxying the board myself.

Jon.

[quote name='Bassassin' post='102496' date='Dec 10 2007, 11:51 PM']Any tips on how to do this & what to use? I'm going to be defretting my Peavey 5 and fancy having a shot at epoxying the board myself.

Jon.[/quote]
Hi Bassassin, you need to get yourself some Marine Epoxy, carefully measure out the resin and hardener in a glass beaker using a glass rod to mix the two together. By using glass it's easier to clean with solvents to remove any waste so you can then repeat with a second coat.
To apply the first coat first mask the entier neck so as to only leave the fingerboard exposed, making sure that you have prepared the board to remove any dirt and grease by sanding, a 240 grade garnet paper should work but be carefull not to alter the profile of the fingerboard. Make sure that you know the radius of the fingerboard before you start sanding. you will need a radius gague to keep cheking that you don't sand the fingerboard into a different shape.
Apply the carefully mixed resin to the board, making sure there are no air bubbles in the resin, by smearing it along the length of the fingerboard with the glass rod. You need to work quickly and carefully as the resin cures in no time, then after your first coat clean the rod and beaker with solvent so you can do a second mix for your second application. Leave the first coat to dry for at least 24 hours then sand rough so as to key the fingerboard for the next coat.
When you have repeated this you need to check the fingerboard has its correct profile then buff and polish the resin to a shine.
Hope this helps, any problems get in touch
Cheers Steve.

[quote name='steve-soar' post='102580' date='Dec 11 2007, 10:24 AM']Hi Bassassin, you need to get yourself some Marine Epoxy, carefully measure out the resin and hardener in a glass beaker using a glass rod to mix the two together. By using glass it's easier to clean with solvents to remove any waste so you can then repeat with a second coat.
To apply the first coat first mask the entier neck so as to only leave the fingerboard exposed, making sure that you have prepared the board to remove any dirt and grease by sanding, a 240 grade garnet paper should work but be carefull not to alter the profile of the fingerboard. Make sure that you know the radius of the fingerboard before you start sanding. you will need a radius gague to keep cheking that you don't sand the fingerboard into a different shape.
Apply the carefully mixed resin to the board, making sure there are no air bubbles in the resin, by smearing it along the length of the fingerboard with the glass rod. You need to work quickly and carefully as the resin cures in no time, then after your first coat clean the rod and beaker with solvent so you can do a second mix for your second application. Leave the first coat to dry for at least 24 hours then sand rough so as to key the fingerboard for the next coat.
When you have repeated this you need to check the fingerboard has its correct profile then buff and polish the resin to a shine.
Hope this helps, any problems get in touch
Cheers Steve.[/quote]
Very much obliged to you for that, Steve - actually sounds pretty straightforward. What sort of quantity of marine epoxy would I need & do you recommend any particular brand or supplier?

J.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='103175' date='Dec 12 2007, 12:23 PM']He does, but he initially said no and talked me out of it.

I've just asked him again and he's relented.. he's a top man. :)[/quote]

I think he's got the bass bug again and is hoping to get a bit more bass orientated work. I just need to confirm with him that he wants his contact details plastered all over the forum!