Why become a member? ×

Opinions please! TC? MB?

MythSte

Hey guys,

So im off to uni in a months time and my family are pooling together to buy me a cab that I can take away with me as my vintage is just too big! (keeping her for the bigguns though!)

I reckon I've got around £500 to play with. At the moment I think my first two choices are between the TC Rebelstack 210 and the Markbass 210TP.

I have no idea how either will react with 100 watts of valve power (trace elliot twin valve) and if im going to get a practicable amount of volume out of them or not.

The other thing I could shoot for is the new Gallien Krueger 210 combo. But i have to admit it looks a little cheap and nasty.

I play a Passive Jazz and an Active 'Vette so it would need to be quite flexible. and needs to be one hand-able.

Any opinions are greatly appreciated!

From reading on here some love the MB cabs, some loathe them. I have the MB 2x10 combo & think it's one of the best combo's I've ever tried, let alone owned & good at shifting a fair amount of air.

I'm sure there'll be a few along with more lightweight cab experience than I to help out.

oh, that Ibanez 1x10 combo sounds like a stonker, but I'm not sure how much air the single 10 will move.

Both nice cabinets, both light, and both with great form factor.

There is a slight nasal tone to the MB cabinets, but as mentioned, some players love it. The TC is more vintage-meets-modern with a fantastic sweet high end.

If you opt for TC, Id suggest the cover, as I would for ANY spray finish cabinet. Its only about £18.

:)

thanks for those two posts guys! Thats more or less confirmed what I thought as far as the tone is concerned for those two. I love the MB 210 combos but they make use of the larger cabinet IIRC and im not sure I trust a smaller one.

Leaning towards the TC for sure. Maybe even the 212? Is that one hand-able does anyone know?!

You can pick up the Mesa Boogie Walkabout extension cabs (12") cheapish, they look good, sound at least 4 times bigger than they are, and they're bloody light. They've also got the passive radiator which lends something to the overall vibe. There's a shop in Luton got a couple used for £299, IIRC one 4ohm and one 8ohm. I was tempted to get one, but the two I already own are arguably sufficient for purpose :)

C

[quote name='Beedster' post='914268' date='Aug 3 2010, 08:52 PM']You can pick up the Mesa Boogie Walkabout extension cabs (12") cheapish, they look good, sound at least 4 times bigger than they are, and they're bloody light. They've also got the passive radiator which lends something to the overall vibe. There's a shop in Luton got a couple used for £299, IIRC one 4ohm and one 8ohm. I was tempted to get one, but the two I already own are arguably sufficient for purpose :)

C[/quote]

Thats a really good shout actually chris, If you find the shop will you point me to it? That would be perfect!

I didnt think the MB would work too well with this head but I know how much I like the bigger MB cabs. Its a shame it doesnt translate in a small box.

[quote name='MythSte' post='914274' date='Aug 3 2010, 08:56 PM']Thats a really good shout actually chris, If you find the shop will you point me to it? That would be perfect![/quote]

One left [url="http://www.coda-music.com/index.php?cPath=170"]http://www.coda-music.com/index.php?cPath=170[/url]

Let's face it, if it didn't work out, you can move it on for that price on BC (thinks "mmmmm, I wonder what a vertical 3x12 Mesa rig would sound like.....)

Good luck mate

Chris

[quote name='JMT3781' post='914365' date='Aug 3 2010, 10:19 PM']As a massive lover of markbass cabs..... i agree that they probably wont work with a valve head :rolleyes:

how about the isobaric orange cabs?[/quote]

I want something with a tweeter and a bit more zing than my vintage ideally, plus they are heavy!

Ive e-mailed the relevent family members about the Scout. I owe ya one Chris :)

[quote name='JMT3781' post='914775' date='Aug 4 2010, 12:06 PM']ah sorry, i though you wanted a sound like the vintage...

How about a shroeder1212? one on ebay at the moment[/quote]

Failing the Mesa option not working out I think a 1212 is another great shout actually!

Basically I want a one trip rig. Loud enough to deal with practices and decent enough quality for me to use in the studio. I think the Mesa ticks all those boxes :rolleyes:

I like the idea of 2 seperate 12's but I just dont think they would be portable enough :)

Another vote for a Schroeder 1212L cab. It would be a good choice IME.

Although its a 2x12 the second driver is at a angle inside and slightly behind the front facing driver so the cab isnt that big.

They are rated at taking around 800watts so pretty robust.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='914854' date='Aug 4 2010, 01:02 PM']Another vote for a Schroeder 1212L cab. It would be a good choice IME.

Although its a 2x12 the second driver is at a angle inside and slightly behind the front facing driver so the cab isnt that big.

They are rated at taking around 800watts so pretty robust.[/quote]

I used to have one, And loved it! However I used to have to EQ it pretty hard to get a nice deep tone, and as stated before, the EQ on my twin valve is, well, crap.

Ordered the Mesa Cab :) I owe Beedster a pint or three!

[quote name='MythSte' post='914867' date='Aug 4 2010, 01:10 PM']Ordered the Mesa Cab :) I owe Beedster a pint or three![/quote]

Nice one mate, hope it works out for you. Keep us posted. I look forward to those pints if we ever hook up at a Bass Bash!

Chris

[quote name='Beedster' post='914901' date='Aug 4 2010, 01:33 PM']PS which Uni?[/quote]

Liverpool John Moores. Im studying Business and Economics :) Fortunately its not too far that I cant carry on with my current band but I really cant wait to get into a new scene anyway!