Why become a member? ×

What's the best bass for funk?

BassIsThePlace

What kind of funk? Soul, disco, jazz?

For Chili's, Michael Jackson, Chic, Sister Sledge, KC & sunshine band, and jamiroquai you cant go wrong with a Musicman stingray or a 70's reissue jazz bass. Ampwise, anything except Ashdown in my opinion. I use Hartke because they suit the 70's funk vibe best for me. Mark bass are awsome too though

There isn't really a best bass for funk but you should check out Musicman, Fender Jazz and Precision!

Louis Johnson on a Musicman: [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CslkVhOoE2U"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CslkVhOoE2U[/url]

Francis Rocco Prestia on a P-Bass: [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQE5vwlRYHA"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQE5vwlRYHA[/url]

Jaco Pastorius on his infamous 'Bass of Doom': [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWh8HzCxtOg&feature=fvst"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWh8HzCxtOg&feature=fvst[/url]

Of course there are many other brands such as Warwick (check out Stuart Zender in Jamiroquai).

I am primarily a Funk/ Groove/ Jazzer and I'm usually seen using a jazz bass!

Ampwise check out Ampeg, as Blackman said Hartke, Mark Bass, EBS, Epifani and the old Fender Heads! (I think you should choose whatever works for you!)

Edited by Laurence

it doesnt matter what you use or what you use it through.

you may get better mids in various basses or amps for funk,,,,,,or better 'twang' thats needed for slap.

however my quest for the tone or 'sound' im looking for will never be found.

Funk or any other genre isnt found in basses or electrics.

ITS FOUND IN TECHNIQUE..............

[quote name='munkonthehill' post='911592' date='Aug 1 2010, 12:42 AM']it doesnt matter what you use or what you use it through.

you may get better mids in various basses or amps for funk,,,,,,or better 'twang' thats needed for slap.

however my quest for the tone or 'sound' im looking for will never be found.

Funk or any other genre isnt found in basses or electrics.

ITS FOUND IN TECHNIQUE..............[/quote]

Right. How's that fuzz-wah workin out for you?

[quote name='Alien' post='911585' date='Aug 1 2010, 12:29 AM']A '62 Sunburst Precision, strung with flats, and a ludicrously high action.

End of discussion.

A[/quote]

I agree for soul and modern pop funk (will young, VV Brown). Especially when played near the neck but then iv never gone towards the bridge on my p bass becuase the tensions too much. Again i think it completely depends on the sub catagory. A Jazz Bass can do anything though.

The best thing to do is to try many many many basses and buy one on feel and build quality. Sound can be changed by technique (right and left hand) and pickups/ pre amps.

[quote name='BassIsThePlace' post='911598' date='Jul 31 2010, 11:52 PM']Right. How's that fuzz-wah workin out for you?[/quote]
:)

I like jazz basses for funky sounds, not sure about amps, by some coincidence I've always found myself using Laney amps, never had problems with them. They can sound suitably funky I reckon. Like other people have said, a stingray'll see you right too.

[quote name='Doddy' post='911631' date='Aug 1 2010, 03:37 AM']It doesn't matter what the instrument is,it's how and what you play. It makes no difference if you have a P,J,Musicman,Ric or whatever. Find the bass that you like to play,and like the sound of and use that.[/quote]
Alot of styles don't have "said" guitar for "said" sound. Majority of it s technique.
Personally I use both a fender jaguar bass (jazz dressed up) and a EB SUB Bass (cheap stingray) they sound awesome for any style. If I was playing punk I'd either be ramming 16ths root notes with pick or fingers(depending how much more noise there is.) if I'm playing jazz I play slowish and soft walking lines closer to the neck.
My personal style of funk is a lot of use of octaves, notes of the chords and scales, listening to beat, and I'd generally play fingers just a nudge closer to the bridge from the middle.

You can't go wrong with a Jazz or a stingray, through or a big al SSS that is probably best of both worlds.

Impossible to say...

It depends on your style....and there are so many styles to try and ape.

For example, I have never been a P-bass man, but Popwell and the 70's stuff is pretty much all P-bass.
Along comes the rear pickup jazz..totally different sound and style. It would be pretty hard to transpose one style to another bass, in that context, IMV.

So you really need to find yourself and what you lean to and then pick your bass to enhance that.

A lot of guys use modern active basses because they are so versatile, but it isn't as easy as that either.

So, target a style within a genre and work from there.
It may just be the influence of your favourite bass-player...and work from there.

As for kit, Jazz basses and SWR amps are major classic, IMV..but I would sub the cabs for Aguilars, personally.

And hey, that is what I use :) :rolleyes: :lol:

I don't know much about funk but, I saw a funk jazz band a couple of months ago,..... you know you just have to know what gear the bass player is using, well he was using a G&L L2000 (USA I think) and a markbass stack. The only way to describe the sound was 'TRUELY AWESOME'. I was blown away!!

[quote]I don't know much about funk but, I saw a funk jazz band a couple of months ago,..... you know you just have to know what gear the bass player is using, well he was using a G&L L2000 (USA I think) and a markbass stack. The only way to describe the sound was 'TRUELY AWESOME'. I was blown away!![/quote]

who were they??