Why become a member? ×

Squier Jazz Bass

allihts

Hi everyone, I know a thread about these basses comes up every other day but I am wondering what the major differences between the two basses (classic vibe jazz and vintage modified jazz) are. I know one is a 60's and one is a 70's and that the VM has maple neck where the CV has rosewood. Obviously I would try before I buy but I am looking for the key features of each and what makes them different apart from the finish and neck.

Thanks, Alli.

Edited by allihts

I was going to post this but thought I might have to hide as it seems to be commonly thrown around...

Am I right the CV has the 60s pickup positioning while the VM has the 70s? The 70s appears to be going for the Marcus vibe of the 75 American Reissue while the 60s is going for the 62. In terms of the basses, how do the necks feel? Sound difference?

Edited by faceman

[quote name='faceman' post='911204' date='Jul 31 2010, 01:39 PM']I was going to post this but thought I might have to hide as it seems to be commonly thrown around...

Am I right the CV has the 60s pickup positioning while the VM has the 70s? The 70s appears to be going for the Marcus vibe of the 75 American Reissue while the 60s is going for the 62. In terms of the basses, how do the necks feel? Sound difference?[/quote]
I've got a CVJ and a VMJ. On both, the pup spacing is the narrower '60s variety. As for the necks, the gloss finish on the CVJ is fine and doesn't cause any problems, but the satin finish on the VMJ somehow feels easier and faster to me.

As for how they sound, somebody asked on another thread whether the pups on the CVJ were better than those on the VMJ. Both my basses are strung with light gauge Fender flats, and everything else being equal (same control settings and amp EQ), the CVJ sounds really mellow while the VMJ sounds more punchy and vibrant. Whether this is down to different body / neck / fingerboard materials as well as pups is a moot point, but I don't want to open that particular can of worms here! :rolleyes:

[quote name='allihts' post='911248' date='Jul 31 2010, 02:15 PM']Yeah, What is the difference between the pickup positioning then? How does it change the sound?[/quote]
I believe the '70s spacing is a bit wider than the '60s, with the neck pup in the same place but the bridge pup closer to the bridge, and increases the "nasality" (or "honk" if you prefer) of the sound a bit. That said, I've never had had the chance to play two instruments with the genuine pup spacings so can't actually confirm this with my own ears. :)

I have been playing the bass for some 25 years and these days due to my old age can afford higher end instruments like Sadowsky's and American Fenders but having recently bought a classic vibe P for my 11 year old son I was blown away at the high quality the new wave of Squiers are excellent and much more than just a budget intro buy that they once were.

I seriously think that these basses give not only the Mexican standards a run for thier money but also if set-up well the standard American versions, sadly their is a lot of Bass snobbery about the squier models even today people even go to the extent of losing the Squier decals, all very sad.

These are great basses and for me no longer a bargain basement poorly made instrument.

The new ones look good too, might even invest in the 77 all black VM jazz that is being released next month and I will be proud to have it along side my grand plus basses!

[quote name='bassatnight' date='Aug 5 2010, 11:53 AM' post='915773']

I seriously think that these basses give not only the Mexican standards a run for thier money but also if set-up well the standard American versions, sadly their is a lot of Bass snobbery about the squier models even today people even go to the extent of losing the Squier decals, all very sad.

You could not be more wrong about the snobbery angle. I put a Fender decal on mine so I could sell it at a grossly inflated price to an unsuspecting punter!!

Nah, only did it as I like the look of the early 70`s decal. Not sad at all really :brow:

Jez AKA the Forger

[quote name='tony_m' post='915756' date='Aug 5 2010, 11:32 AM']I've got a CVJ and a VMJ.[/quote]

Which has the deepest, tone from the solo'd neck pup?
I need a deep, clean smooth tone and I found the CV too bright, but it's hard to tell with the supplied roundwound strings.
I also prefer a satin finish neck.

Oh, and which is the lightest weight ?

Thanks,
Steve.

[quote name='redstriper' post='917591' date='Aug 7 2010, 12:24 AM']Which has the deepest, tone from the solo'd neck pup?
I need a deep, clean smooth tone and I found the CV too bright, but it's hard to tell with the supplied roundwound strings.
I also prefer a satin finish neck.

Oh, and which is the lightest weight ?

Thanks,
Steve.[/quote]
Steve,

Probably not going to be much help here as solo'd neck isn't a setting I tend to use apart from while doing a setup, plus I'm currently 400 miles and a boat ride away from my basses so can't A/B them to check for you... :)

However, on reflection I'd have to say that the CVJ is generally deeper, smoother and mellower than the VMJ. The CVJ is also noticeably lighter than the VMJ.

Tony

[quote name='daz' post='917514' date='Aug 6 2010, 10:35 PM']Grand Wazoo is the guy to ask i think he has them all CVj, VMJ, '51 CVP, '60 CVP.[/quote]

Grand Wazoo is presently on hols in Egypt and logging from the missus Iphone (she's gonna kill me when she gets the bill HAHA)

....errr quite, you are 90% accurate Sir, except that only one I don't have and won't want to have is the VM Jazz, tried them all mind you, but what put me off about the VM was the build quality and the cheapness of the whole package, you hold a Classic Vibe and you immediately feel the quality in your hands, the neck fits perfectly in their pockets, the feel of the neck is spot on with the real thing, whereas the VM has this satin feel that don't inspire me confidence, its not like a waxed unfinished neck of an Ernie Ball and its not like an Ibanez sort of feel something in between that sounds to me like a recipee for disaster when the neck ages on. Also the bridges on the VM are flimsy whereas on the CV's you get proper Hi-Mass bridges with brass saddles and that accounts for a lot of the resonance, sustain and stability of tuning.

Finally the CV range comes from a very well established factory in China that makes various big names instruments including Jackson, Charvel, and other Fender owned brands, while the VM are made from a less skilled sweathshop somewhere in Indonesia, not being funny but the economic conditions of the two countries are a 1000 years apart, and between the two I know which has the more advanced technology and skills and which to put my trust in. Holding one of the CV's speaks volumes, to me they're even better than the Mexican Fenders. I've tried many CV's and never found a naff one.

p.s.: these poxy iphones are a pain to type, I hope you appreciate the effort I made to write this! grrrr

Laters :)

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='917840' date='Aug 7 2010, 11:37 AM']<snip>
Also the bridges on the VM are flimsy whereas on the CV's you get proper Hi-Mass bridges with brass saddles and that accounts for a lot of the resonance, sustain and stability of tuning.
<snip>[/quote]
Apologies for the snippage GW, but that's a good point, and I probably ought to point out that I've replaced the original bridge on my VMJ with a Wilkinson jobbie which, although it's the same BBOT style, does seem slightly more substantial (though not as substantial as the HM on the CVJ) and has brass saddles.

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='917840' date='Aug 7 2010, 11:37 AM']Grand Wazoo is presently on hols in Egypt and logging from the missus Iphone (she's gonna kill me when she gets the bill HAHA)[/quote]

uh oh! my mate got an £800 bill for forgetting to switch of roaming on his iphone id be careful bud!

Ive owned both and i preferred the build fit n finish of the classic vibe but the sound of the VM. I also found the neck more stable on the CV and its easier to mod ime as parts seem to fit it better. I reckon if i buy again it'll be the CV (ive already owned 2 VM.s!)

That said the new VM looks lush!

I didn't get a chance to try out both basses, but the shop assistant told me that he had a vm but had a cv on order because he felt the vm was too bright and the build quality on the cv was better. After playing the cv I have to say I am very impressed, it plays just like you would expect a jazz to and the neck is so fast! I was dishing out the triplets at a breakneck speed! I think I have been convinced.

Tried both. VM has better pickups, but everything else about the CV is better, WAY better build quality, and doesn't feel cheap like the VM. VM did sound better, so it's what you're looking for. Plus, as Grand Wazoo said, 'Crafted in China' is way more reassuring than 'made in Indonesia'