Why become a member? ×

headphones

Geek99

on a hartke hydrive 210c, there is a 6.5mm plug at the back for the speakers. If i unplug the speaker plug, can I connect headphones instead without destroying something? Obviously I dont want to turn it up to high volume like this.

Not a good idea
For a start you'll only have sound from one side (unless you have mono phones)
Secondly the potential to destroy the phones and/or your hearing is great

Best bet would be to get a headphone amp and drive it from the DI output or effects send

Alternatively you *could* try a bunch of resistors in this kind of arrangement (connect the non-ground 'phones'end to tip and ring on a stereo jack socket, mono jack plug for the speaker end)

[attachment=55387:phones_drop.PNG]

Just don´t try it would be my advice, best not risk your health and the health of your equipment.

Invest in a headphone amp (samson or behringer have offerings in the 30quid bracket) and take a line out from your DI output (one of the reasons it´s there in the first place)

You should only use headphones in dedicated headphone outputs.

[quote name='derrenleepoole' post='911094' date='Jul 31 2010, 11:44 AM']Very bad idea! There is a good reason why sockets are labeled speaker and some headphones! Amps, speakers and headphones are easy commodities to replace, your hearing is not![/quote]

Just seen this
[url="http://www.studiospares.com/headphone-amps+splitters/art-headtap-headphone-controller/invt/325100/"]http://www.studiospares.com/headphone-amps...er/invt/325100/[/url]

seems to take speaker out and calm it down to headphone level - no batteries/dc input wires either! Do you think this can amp up line out though?

BassManiac

That's an interesting box of tricks and I'd guess it's based on some kind of variable attentuator, a bit similar to Stewarts suggestion but with better impedance matching perhaps? Not much info on the website, but it does say it [i]The HeadTAP is designed to connect headphones to a speaker output or a line level signal source[/i], and I'm not sure how a passive unit can work when connecting headphones to a line output. Might be worth talking to someone at StudioSpares - I've found them helpful in the past.

The problem with speaker outputs is that they can be so variable in terms of power and, to a lesser extent, impedance characteristics, so a passive solution can never be universally ideal.

A DI output will be far more consistent across all amps and will safely drive a dedicated headphone amp to give a universal and, more importantly, safe solution.

But the bottom line is not to plug headphones directly into an amp's speaker outputs.

[quote name='flyfisher' post='911157' date='Jul 31 2010, 12:45 PM']But the bottom line is not to plug headphones directly into an amp's speaker outputs.[/quote]

- thanks for the advice, like the original poster, I am looking at headphone solutions to units without dedicated phones out. I am probably about to buy an Asdown T15 250S from Thomman. This has lineout/tuner and effects send. I will wait and see what happens when I plug my Audio Technica phones into either of these. I guess they don't mute the speaker, but the speaker can be unplugged in any case.

All a bit of a botch, which I don't like.

BassManiac

I can understand why that StudioSpares unit looks so attractive for combos without headphone outputs and I wouldn't dismiss it out of hand, but I would ask them some detailed questions before trying it.

The problem with plugging headphones directly into line-level outputs is that they are high-impedance (usually about 10k ohms upwards) and plugging in an 8 ohm load such as headphones is not going to result in much of a signal. Also, unplugging speakers is not a great way to run an amp, although modern designs are generally more tolerant about such things.

So, yes, all a bit of a bodge (though some bodges can do the job) and, for practice purposes a separate headphone amp might be a better solution.

Thx for the pointer to the ART gizmo. I have a small baby and the amp is thus underused, I really like the tube emulator on it but can't use it at any volume above a whisper.
That's why a headphone amp is not ideal

[quote name='Geek99' post='912480' date='Aug 2 2010, 08:23 AM']Newbie question alert ...
Does using Di out defeat the speakers ?[/quote]
No, but unplugging them would.

There's a mixer that you could use to run off the DI in the For Sale section [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=97506"]here.[/url]

[quote name='tauzero' post='915115' date='Aug 4 2010, 04:36 PM']No, but unplugging them would.

There's a mixer that you could use to run off the DI in the For Sale section [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=97506"]here.[/url][/quote]

The cheapo mixer I use for practice has enough gain to be able to plug even passive basses straight into its (channel) line inputs. I've not used a "real" amp at home for ages.