Why become a member? ×

Gear Insurance

vmaxblues

[quote name='Sarah5string' post='909367' date='Jul 29 2010, 03:56 PM']I've got mine insured through... uh... oh god I've forgotten! Norwich Union? Aviva? Feck. Either way it was really cheap and I got free DNA tracing stuff. Bargain :)[/quote]

I'm insured with Allianz - [url="http://www.allianzmusicalinsurance.co.uk/"]http://www.allianzmusicalinsurance.co.uk/[/url]
They provide SmartWater - the same stuff I suspect Sarah5string is talking about.

[quote name='vmaxblues' post='910012' date='Jul 30 2010, 10:47 AM']Musicguard looks promising.[/quote]

In my experience it depends what you've got.

My last valuation from E&L was £4.5k for my bass (which I thought was an over-estimate but there you go).
I asked Musicguard for a quote & the girl said it was too obscure for them to give a figure for so I had to find a competent company to give a valuation. (I did ask why a specific music insurance business would say that, which leads me to believe that they're just a cover name for a generic insurance company, same as E&L)

I got a letter from Bonhams music expert who said £3.5k; not good enough for Musicguard. I asked Vintage & Rare for one & they said - after about 3 months - that they didn't know enough about John Birch to give a qualified opinion. So right now I'm at a loss as to who to ask for cover.

Im also with musicguard! Nothing to fault them on yet, i like how you can even opt for gear break down / repair and they pay for the hire of replacement gear while things get fixed! Nice

Fingers crossed i wont need to claim but its nice to know im covered on the gear i take out to gigs just in case :)

When my MM5 broke, Musicguard sent a courier to pick it up and bring it back to them.. They looked at the snapped neck and called Musicman, who told them they don't sell replacement necks...

Musicguard then rang me and said

"They dont have your model anymore (2006 ltd black & gold) but they've got a black/rosewood Stingray 5 with the colour matched headstock. Do you want that one?"

36 hrs later, it was in my hands.

Thankfully, it's the only claim I've had but I can't fault the process.

[quote name='bassbloke' post='910341' date='Jul 30 2010, 03:19 PM']Do you have MU membership, because that comes with £2000 equipment cover and PLI. Granted, 2K doesn't go a long way, but additional cover on top is reasonable.[/quote]
+1

That's what I use! Other benefits with the MU membership too like free public liability insurance and even some kind of free personal injury insurance.