Why become a member? ×

Please advise me on my next set of strings

mashup

So, i have a new bass which i am totally over the moon with (USA G & L L2000), and i can now get a vast array of tones out of this beast.

Now, my question is, what strings are best to fit, if trying to eradicate fingertip and string coil friction noise that i am currently experiencing currently on my roundwounds (especially when sliding notes using tones with moretreb). I use to have a p bass and was used to low booming full sounds that didn't really have much mid and top end, but now i have all these tones that i would like to use, i need to minimise/eradicate the fingertip/round coil friction that creates unwanted sound when in these newfound tonal ranges.

Are flatwounds any good? Im not really looking for a vintage string sound or anything too modern either, but a string that is a bit of both. I still want as much mid/Treble clarity in the strings, but just without the friction scrapes that are enhanced by these frequencies. Would Flat wounds fix this? If so, would the compromise be a more vintage tonal quality to the strings. What about groundwounds? Are they a happy medium?

Please help & advise,

Thanks for reading,

Mat

Personally, I have always used a mixture and EBsuper slinkys or regular slinkys (depending on bass), also I only enjoy the sound they have once they are worn in a bit which takes about 6 weeks to get and then they last about 4 months till they get too dead.

I've played with d'arddio chrome flats on a number over passes and they play great, and have a quiet a bit of definition in them, although they die (on me) pretty quick.

IMO flats are good for cancelling out some of that unwanted buzz and noise but at the end of the day they won't do wonders and you'll have to practice and learn how to play in a way that minimises these noises.

If they are new strings just leave them on and they will deaden with playing.
Otherwise change your LH technique to minimise noise? One of the most useful playing tips I read was on the edam amplification website where they suggested playing with the treble up on your amp and everything else cut and listen to what noises you are actually making to hone you technique. I think there was a second stage to the excersise too

Go to the Status website and check out some of their half-rounds. They are rounds ground down to be smooth like flats, the best of both worlds, I have em on my fretless and they're pretty cheap too! Also if you want brighter flatwounds check out D'Addario Chromes or TI Jazz Flats. Chromes are the brightest most roundwound sounding flats I've used but they are quite high tension so I'd recommend a light guage. Alternatively you can get compression wound strings which are a bit smoother, not tried these but I've heard Ken Smith Compressors recommended before over at Talkbass.

Edited by dannybuoy

I have groundwounds on all my fretless basses, they're super smooth like flats but a bit brighter so definitely give them a try.

Elixirs should help too, a lot of people here love them although I've yet to give them a go.

Edited by Fat Rich

if you re after flats but still want some brightness, try TI flats. for some reason ( I guess being nickels and 43-100) they delivers flatwound feel and sound too,but sounds also kinda "modern"
for rounds which arent too harsh, I would recommend GHS boomers,NICKEL as nickels usually works well with humbuckers and P bass pickups. and they are not too bright and doesnt feels too fresh and zingy, feels great and has great dynamic/output response.

[quote name='chris_b' post='906852' date='Jul 27 2010, 11:24 AM']If you're getting excessive finger noise on the strings your technique is wrong. Change that and you fix the problem.

What strings to use is a different subject.[/quote]

Im sure that my technique is fine. Thanks though. The noise isn't excessive and out of place, it's a natural byproduct of 2 bumpy surfaces sliding across one another e.g - Finger tip ribs and roundwound string coils. Maybe i could burn my fingertips down so that they are just nice clean scar tissue lol! It's just more noticeable the more treble is added. Some people feel those nuances add to the overall tone and feel. I however am in search of limiting the unavoidable string/fingertip friction grating sound that is only realy heard when sliding up the strings when dialed in to particular tones which are treble heavy. I want smooth, smooth, smooth but still with enough brightness & clarity for more picking styles. If you have a magic trick that solves this entirely, and it's all down to technique that i have overlooked or missed out on, then im all ears. Cheers

[quote name='mashup' post='906993' date='Jul 27 2010, 12:52 PM']Im sure that my technique is fine. Thanks though. The noise isn't excessive and out of place, it's a natural byproduct of 2 bumpy surfaces sliding across one another e.g - Finger tip ribs and roundwound string coils. Maybe i could burn my fingertips down so that they are just nice clean scar tissue lol! It's just more noticeable the more treble is added. Some people feel those nuances add to the overall tone and feel. I however am in search of limiting the unavoidable string/fingertip friction grating sound that is only realy heard when sliding up the strings when dialed in to particular tones which are treble heavy. I want smooth, smooth, smooth but still with enough brightness & clarity for more picking styles. If you have a magic trick that solves this entirely, and it's all down to technique that i have overlooked or missed out on, then im all ears. Cheers[/quote]

First, if you want to use all that tone from your bass do not install flats. Nickel roundwounds are less zingy than stainless steel and would be a good bet. Some string noise is OK. Anthony Jackson gets string noise, so don't sweat. Try DR Sunbeams.

Davo

I like string noise - whether it's guitar or bass. It adds the human touch. Samplers which reproduce guitar sounds actually include the noise a finger makes when it's sliding up or down a string which you can add to your recording to make it come across more like the real thing.